Author Topic: Diapers, diapers  (Read 1234 times)

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
Diapers, diapers
« on: June 29, 2007, 07:40:17 PM »
This just choked me up.

I got an email yesterday from my church, to the mothers group, saying that a mom had gone to Catholic Charities in desperate need, and after they finished getting her some stuff, they realized they had no diapers in the size her baby needed. Neither did the food pantry. So would we mind buying diapers in size 1 for her baby.

I stopped off at BJs and picked up a case of diapers in size 1-2 and brought them to the church, where I found enough diapers already donated to fill a dishwasher. Well, those size ones are pretty small, so I brought them back and exchanged them for the size 3s (since the kid will need them in a couple months, and there were a couple of months worth of diapers already donated.)

By the time I got back to the church, it was late, but I had made i before the mom arrived to pick them up. YAY!

As I was leaving the rectory, I realized--I'd forgotten to get a mass card for a friend undergoing chemotherapy. So I went back inside and got that set up for her. And then the most wonderful thing happened.

As I was leaving for the second time, **I saw her!!** In the parking lot, I saw the mom who's getting all those diapers! For the first time ever, I actually got to see the recipient of something we donated, so now I know who it is I'm praying for when I pray for her, and I have a picture in my head and I can imagine her filled with relief when she sees that someone cared enough about her baby to help--and moreover, that we cared about her.

She was a little younger than I am, but so tired-looking, so worn out, and she had the baby with her (but I couldn't see the baby) and an older child. Life didn't appear to have been kind to her. And no, I didn't stare--I doubt she even noticed me putting my kids into the van in the parking lot.  But I saw her.

I'm honored. I just feel so blessed that I got to see her, and I pray that God blesses her and her baby.  :'(

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Diapers, diapers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 07:56:18 PM »

Awww, i'm all teary just reading that!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
Re: Diapers, diapers
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »
He already has, Tabris.