Author Topic: You're not my mother!!!  (Read 21563 times)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: You're not my mother!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
... it makes me feel even more inept as an adult to have people that are not even in their 20's yet to also parent me.  :-\

I noticed this when I was in my late teens and early twenties- sometimes a flatmate would decide that they were the "parent" in the house and would try to dictate to everyone else what they did. They were invariably a rather insecure person, who tried to boss everyone else around to try to make themselves better or more mature. It isn't anything to do with you, it is the flatmates who have the problem.
NE England

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
Another thought I had reading this thread...

FOUR people jumped on you?  And physically held you down?

I think in that case, it's not a question of etiquette, but of safety - they've just physically attacked you.  If that ever happened again, and I were in your shoes?  I'd turn into a feral wildcat - flail, punch, scratch, jab with elbow, jab with knee, bite...whatever it took.  And then when they let go?  I would go with the "how dare you."  Because that is NOT funny and, in my world at least, NOT acceptable.

(Heck, my mom gave me permission to do all that if someone *tickled* me and wouldn't listen to 'stop'!)

Bethy

SeaSprite

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »
ita with the other posters. This isn't so much an etiquette issue as personal safety. What they did to you in some counties counts as assault! Get these people out of your living space like yesterday or get thee hence into safety!
Was your bf around when this happened?
I caved....

Orisha

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
Evil Orisha would have bitten anyone who tried to snatch food out of her hand.   >:D

All joking aside, Skoffin, I'm glad that bf spoke to them.  Because their behavior really isn't ok.  Not in the least.  I've been learning in the course of posting about my own boundaries-challenged MIL that it isn't necessarily rude to be blunt.  And to assert your boundaries.