Author Topic: People commenting on my health  (Read 5215 times)

Reader

People commenting on my health
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »
Is it perfectly acceptable to use "So kind of you to take an interest" and then bean dip or should I use "what an interesting assumption" then bean dip when people comment on my health?

BG:  In 2009 1 week before our four year anniversary the boyfriend I was living with dumped me saying I was not the woman he wanted to marry.  He broke my heart and I had to make plans to move out of his house which was complicated by the fact I had rented out my home while I was living with said boyfriend. All which piled on a huge amount of stress, I began to have anxiety attacks, and massive amounts of insomnia.  After seeing my doctor, she diagnosed me as situationally depressed and prescribed a anti-depression medication.  As a result of the depression, not the medication, I dropped weight which is the norm for me.  In the fall of 2010 I also picked up a food borne illness that caused me to drop 10 pounds in one week.  So over the past two years I have dropped from 135lbs to 107lbs. 

I don't starve myself, nor am I puking up anything I eat.  I take vitamins daily, and eat whenever I am hungry which is often more times than not and on a good day can be 4 times a day.  My stomach has basically shrunk due to the above issues over the past 2 years and I simply cannot eat my previous portions as it actually causes me pain to do so.

I have had a coworker tell me I look like a child from Ethiopia after trying to make a joke that I need to go on a diet, cue me giving her a silent look of shock especially when she continued to insert foot into mouth by misconstruing my shocked look as I didn't know what she was talking about to repeat her comment and then add, you know the ones that have the flies crawling over their faces.   :o  I've had other people tell me I need to eat more, do you take vitamins, and because I currently have a head cold, that I must take poor care of myself. Over and over again a lot by the same people.

So e-hellions I need lots of phrases to answer back with before I say something that will get me cast into the rings of e-hell.

Lorelei_Evil

Re: People commenting on my health
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »
Complete silence paired with a well-arched eyebrow.  Maybe a slow blink of shock in place of the latter.

Don't dignify it with a response.

Ginya

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
If it's repeat offender, I would go with the silent treatment. If it's someone who just makes a random assumption I'd use "That's an interesting assumption." In hopes of preventing further comment, I think bean dip might not work well in this particular situation, as they may be tempted to bring it up again. I hope you are fairing better, and the best of luck with these over-reaching people.

Minmom3

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
"Wow!  You actually said that out loud...!!"
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »

This is my very favorite response to statements like this.

My sympathies, OP.  I haven't been through the wringer like you have, but I used to be very, very skinny (and knock-kneed) even though I ate like a teenage boy.  The comments are so very tiresome when there's not a bad story behind it.  I'm sure it's even worse when there is.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »

Good one...I can't imagine someone saying what you coworker said, Reader. That's just offensive on several levels.

For the more common rude comments you've been getting I think "So kind of you to take an interest" is good. That's enough to put most people in their place. If it's not, then it's fine to bump up your response to be more blunt.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman