News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 08:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wait... that's ME!?!?!  (Read 7053 times)

boxy

Re: Wait... that's ME!?!?!
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 01:44:33 AM »
If someone published an unflattering picture of me I would be fit to be tied.   However, if it were true that nothing could be done I would probably keep quiet because the event will come and go and no one but me would remember that picture.  If I made a big stink about it though then everyone would remember me as the "troublemaker" who forced the company into reprinting thousands of flyers.

Miss March

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
I think it's really unfair to consider the person whose image is being used without her consent as a "troublemaker." I think any PROFESSIONAL should realize that you need consent to use pictures, and that Peasncues has every right to demand they not use her image. If that costs the business money than it is egg on the face of the person who dropped the ball getting clearance on the picture-- it is in NO WAY to be blamed on the OP. She did NOTHING out of line, and I believe the person she spoke with about the picture was deliberately trying to intimate her and make her feel like she'd be causing trouble for refusing the use of her image, and that is wrong. No one should make her feel like she's going to have a black mark against her for being upset by this. If she did demand they not use her image and there was even a flutter of bad reactions, she could bring the law down on them in a heartbeat.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »
And there are several people I've cut out of my life that I REALLY don't want to know where I work. As slim a chance that one of them might pick this up, with it out to local colleges and universities there is still a chance. And yes, that is paranoia speaking.  ;D

Not paranoia at all. What if you were trying to avoid an abusive friend/family member? I also feel that it was rather silly of them to use a picture of an employee without getting their ok first. Just because you work for a company doesn't mean that they own you (or your look or your voice etc etc). It simply means that you provide X service for Y pay at Z hours. Your image is your own, and I feel that you have a right to decide what your image does and does not grace.
POD.  I can understand the OP's reaction.

lmyrs

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
This is the reason why there is one, central department in our company (3500 employees) to approve any and all published material. Marketing/Corporate Communications. If another department (ie: HR) took it upon themselves to print up a brochure without approvals, we would likely make them destroy it (and have done so in the past for similar issues). And, it's not the fault of the person complaining about the brochure or the incorrect information. It's the fault of the person that did not follow basic processes and procedures for developing outward-facing collateral.

Don't feel bad P&C. I'd ask for it to be destroyed and not think twice about it. It's the only way to prevent it from happening again.

RuthieCohen

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
Okay, so I have a little bit of a situation and I don't know how to deal with it.

As some of you may know, I work in Human Resources. Part of that is recruiting, so we go to a lot of job fairs. A LOT of job fairs.

An example of this year's informational pamphlet that will be handed out at the job fairs made it to my desk this morning for my boss. This is the first time I've seen it.

My picture is right on the front of it. It's an old picture and, frankly, I look horrible. I hate the picture. I hate that it's going to be passed around. I don't remember that picture ever being taken (it's not a posed picture).

I called the person who designed it and told him I was uncomfortable with my picture being used for promotional purposes and was told that it was too late - the pamphlets (THOUSANDS of them) had already been printed, paid for and delivered to the recruitment division who then mailed it out to colleges and universities and other usual contacts.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but I feel extremely violated. I feel uncomfortable and exposed. I feel ANGRY most of all.

I don't want to be the "trouble maker" and I certainly don't want to cost the taxpayers money, so I am thinking of just going to my boss and telling her how it made me feel and recommend that the designers be required to request permission from whoever they are using for visuals in the pamphlet, when possible.

Am I out of line? Overreacting? Please let me know.

PnC,

Would you not be as upset if the picture they used of you were flattering and more recent?  You made mention of the "bad picture" of you before you mentioned being upset that it was used without your consent.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
I would be, yes.

The fact that it's a horrible picture is just salt in the wound.  :) May I inquire why you ask?

I haven't heard anything more from my boss yet, FWIW.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

RuthieCohen

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »
Just curious. 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »
Okie dokie.  :-*
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
Keep us posted when you do hear something, if you don't mind...this is one of those things that would make me totally furious, so I hope you get a good resolution!