Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

No, I will not notarize your blank document

<< < (2/9) > >>

Shiraz_Much?:
You can charge?  Hmmm...I never knew that.  I have never been charged for getting anything notarized before.  Interesting.

Poirot:
In PA we can charge up to $5.00 per signature to be notarized.

ddawn23:

--- Quote from: celtic1973 on March 31, 2011, 03:37:20 PM ---You can charge?  Hmmm...I never knew that.  I have never been charged for getting anything notarized before.  Interesting.

--- End quote ---

They can charge in Illinois.  Oklahoma absentee ballots must be notarized and actually come with a notice that the notary public cannot charge for it.  I guess it would amount to a poll tax.  My dad thought it was VERY rude of me to present the notice and refuse to pay when the notary asked for the fee.

Lynnv:

--- Quote from: ddawn23 on March 31, 2011, 04:49:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: celtic1973 on March 31, 2011, 03:37:20 PM ---You can charge?  Hmmm...I never knew that.  I have never been charged for getting anything notarized before.  Interesting.

--- End quote ---

They can charge in Illinois.  Oklahoma absentee ballots must be notarized and actually come with a notice that the notary public cannot charge for it.  I guess it would amount to a poll tax.  My dad thought it was VERY rude of me to present the notice and refuse to pay when the notary asked for the fee.

--- End quote ---

I don't know what the limit on the fee was, but we charged non-customers for notary services in Colorado (about a dozen years ago).

geordicat:
Laws vary from state to state,  so fees will be different.  Notaries have to know what they are signing, as not all documents can be notarized.  The birth certificate is an example.  I can not notarize a birth certificate or a copy of a birth certificate.  I can notarize copies of passports and drivers licenses.   

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=308-30-020

It was interesting once I started reading up on all the ins and outs of being a notary.

I did ask Sean why he signed in the middle of those signature blocks.  He just said "I guess I'm a middle of the page kind of guy."

Still not signing with blank areas. 

http://www.asnnotary.org/?form=basicduties

The document presented for notarization must be COMPLETE.
The notary cannot perform a notarial act over a document that is missing pages, or that contains blanks that should be filled-in prior to the notarial act. If missing pages cannot be presented to the notary, or if the signer does not know how to deal with the blanks in the document, the notary cannot proceed. (Note: some blanks are clearly intended to be filled-in later, such as “Office Use Only” blanks. These are acceptable at the time of notarization.)

I love being a notary.  My commission expires next year, and I definitely want to continue this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version