News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:12:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doogie Howser MD  (Read 6012 times)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Re: Doogie Howser MD
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »
How come they don't call older doctors "Marcus Welby"?

Or Dr Kildare?

Dr. Kildare wasn't old.

He was to me. I wasn't even born when they made that show!
Stewart/Colbert '16

Brentwood

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
How come they don't call older doctors "Marcus Welby"?

Or Dr Kildare?

Dr. Kildare wasn't old.

He was to me. I wasn't even born when they made that show!

Well, lots of people weren't born yet when Doogie Howser was made either, and Neil Patrick Harris might be old to them now. The character of Dr. Kildare was young. :)

Sabbyfrog2

• I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »

Well, lots of people weren't born yet when Doogie Howser was made either, and Neil Patrick Harris might be old to them now.

NPH will never be old! NEVER!

sorry... back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Personally, I think the way you handle it is fine as long as you remind the patient of his real name in a casual non accusatory way. I think just ask the doctor himself how he would like you to handle these comments if your worried about it though OP. Let him know that they comments aren't meant to be insulting but you still wanted to check with him and make sure he wasn't bothered by it in the interest of keeping your working relationship solid.

nisajoy

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »
My father is a physician. When he was in private practice he always dressed in khakis and a button down shirt ( sometimes a short sleeved shirt in summer). Many times older patients would look him over and say " you don't look like a doctor." His response was " it's ok, I don't have to, I am one." He always said it with a smile and I think that most people were then at ease. I think the issue is that a lot of people have certain expectations about how medical professionals " should " look.  My mother was an RN back in the day and wore a starched cap with black stripes and a white -pressed to the point of standing on its own- uniform. She NEVER wore it outside of the hospital and she LOATHES how "everyone" wears scrubs now. (Her theory is you can't tell who is a doctor and who is bringing you lunch, but I digress).

I think that as long as you follow up with oh that's " Mr Smith, one of our fine PAs" it's fine. I don't think that I would in anyway encourage it but there is no need to make a patient feel badly for saying it.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
I can say that every patient that I have encountered who referenced Doogie Howser in regards to this PA did not do it to be mean or dismissive of his abilities. You would be surprised at the number of people who simply don't remember which doctor they saw. I always say when told, "I saw this doctor there yesterday and he reminded me of Doogie Howser" "Oh *chuckle* you mean PA's name? Yeah he does, doesn't he?" Also, it's not like this gets referenced every day multiple times a day. In the last week I think I heard the reference once, just to give you an idea.

When I switched doctors recently I couldn't remember the new one's name and ended up saying, "She has lovely blond hair." The receptionist knew exactly who I meant, and agreed. ;D
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Balletmom

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »

NPH will never be old! NEVER!

sorry... back to your regularly scheduled thread...id.

Poor dude will be 90 years old and look like a 70 y/o elf.

I think that the whole Doogie Howser thing is a bit of a compliment; you're admitting that this is someone whose job skills experience and ability are out of sync with his/her age.

That's a compliment for most of us.

rosiegirl

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
Instead they could be asking for Barney Stinson which would just create more problems!  Legendary!

oogyda

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »
I agree with your co-worker. 

If you wouldn't say this to his face, it's rude to be joking about it behind his back.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Sharnita

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »
I agree with your co-worker. 

If you wouldn't say this to his face, it's rude to be joking about it behind his back.

I agree.