Author Topic: Prince William: No wedding ring  (Read 10496 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Prince William: No wedding ring
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
I admit, I am not a follower of the Royal Wedding, but this was on the news while I was at the gym yesterday, so I was something of a captive audience.
According to various media publications, Prince William says he will not be wearing a wedding ring after the wedding. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/01/prince-william-wedding-ring_n_843451.html

This story was followed by a whole bunch of negative comments, including one charming women who stated, “When I got married my husband did not want to wear a ring, so being a reasonable person, I gave him a choice, either wear the ring or get a tattoo on his forehead that said, ‘I’m married’ – Ha, he has been wearing his ring for 15 years now!”  ::)

Personally, I don’t think this is a big deal.  He is Prince William – about 99% of the English speaking world will know he is married.  But I may be biased.  My father never wore a ring either.  What do you all think?

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Re: Prince William: No wedding ring
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
I think this is up to the couple to decide. I do think there are more men than women who don't wear wedding rings, but as long as it's OK for *both* people in the relationship to not wear a ring, if they choose to, so be it.

I do know some married men who don't like to wear a ring, but would be very unhappy if their wives didn't wear her ring, and I just  ::) at that notion.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
I think this is completely between William and Kate. If she's okay with it, then I don't see a problem. (And if she's not okay with it, it's still between the two of them.)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
I think this is completely between William and Kate. If she's okay with it, then I don't see a problem. (And if she's not okay with it, it's still between the two of them.)

I agree completely.  It's nobody else's business and I don't see why anyone outside the couple would care one way or the other.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Aggiesque

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
Although I'd *like* to know why, it's really none of my business, and provided they are both ok with it, it's fine by me :)

I know more than a few men who don't wear rings due to their job (very hands-on), and several ladies who don't, including myself, because changing lab gloves frequently with rings is a pain.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
I'd imagine it would be a work thing. Isn't he a search and rescue pilot?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
As long as she doesn't care I don't see why i should.  If he came out and said somethign like "real men don't wear wedding rings" then I could see people getting offended.

shadowfox79

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
I think I remember an article from a UK paper which quoted him as saying he wasn't "a ring person", rather than it was a work thing. That said, it's still entirely up to him.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
That is for each couple to decide. None of my business.

Also, I think most people in the world know he is married! LOL!!
No matter where you go, there you are...

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
I think it's traditional for the men in the royal family not to wear rings--there was some media coverage of this at Charles and Diana's wedding. Diana got a wedding ring, but if you watch the videos of the Charles/Diana wedding, there are no vows that involve her putting a wedding ring on Charles' finger. However, I have a very dim memory that Diana did quietly shove a wedding ring on Charles' hand at some point in the ceremony, but there was nothing said about it--and I could be completely wrong about this.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I'm another one who doesn't see what difference it makes.  My father didn't wear a wedding ring for years.  I know several women who don't wear them -- say they just aren't comfortable with rings.

I had to take mine off when I was pregnant.  Even now (and my son is now 17) I will frequently take my rings off to clean or bake or put hand cream on or whatever, and forget to put them back on for several days.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
If he is doing things like search and rescue, where he might have to keep his ring off, I can see why. Not because it would be a pain, but to stave off the inevitable tabloid rumours. "He's not wearing his ring! Oh, my goodness - they must be divorcing!!!!" ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Larrabee

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
My feelings on the matter depend entirely on how he feels about whether or not his wife wears a ring.

If I were ever to get married I'd find a refusal to wear a ring to be a huge red flag and a double standard.  I'd worry that the husband wanted to continue presenting himself as single whilst claiming 'ownership' over his wife.  Of course, that's probably not an issue here, as a PP said, he can't really hide the fact that he's married!

I suppose I'm a little confused, he gave Kate an engagement ring (and one with a lot of sentimental value and history) so he seems to buy into the idea of the ring as a symbol of commitment/connection etc.  Why does he not feel that way about his wedding ring?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
My feelings on the matter depend entirely on how he feels about whether or not his wife wears a ring.

If I were ever to get married I'd find a refusal to wear a ring to be a huge red flag and a double standard.  I'd worry that the husband wanted to continue presenting himself as single whilst claiming 'ownership' over his wife.  Of course, that's probably not an issue here, as a PP said, he can't really hide the fact that he's married!

I suppose I'm a little confused, he gave Kate an engagement ring (and one with a lot of sentimental value and history) so he seems to buy into the idea of the ring as a symbol of commitment/connection etc.  Why does he not feel that way about his wedding ring?

Historically, the concept of men wearing wedding rings is relatively recent.  I believe that double-ring ceremonies only became popular around WW II.

Some men (and some women, too) simply dislike wearing rings.  I got used to my Dh not wearing his ring often, but he did heavy mechanical work.  To me, it's a huge leap to conclude that a man who does not want to wear a ring is planning on cheating.

Maujer

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Don't care. Honestly I'm somewhat surprised so many men wear wedding rings when you consider the fact that men rarely wear rings (or other jewelry) before they're married. I would understand if they thought it was uncomfortable and off putting. But my husband probably wears his ring more often than I wear mine (stupid freakishly small fingers that shrink in the winter).