Author Topic: Prince William: No wedding ring  (Read 9587 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Prince William: No wedding ring
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
I admit, I am not a follower of the Royal Wedding, but this was on the news while I was at the gym yesterday, so I was something of a captive audience.
According to various media publications, Prince William says he will not be wearing a wedding ring after the wedding. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/01/prince-william-wedding-ring_n_843451.html

This story was followed by a whole bunch of negative comments, including one charming women who stated, “When I got married my husband did not want to wear a ring, so being a reasonable person, I gave him a choice, either wear the ring or get a tattoo on his forehead that said, ‘I’m married’ – Ha, he has been wearing his ring for 15 years now!”  ::)

Personally, I don’t think this is a big deal.  He is Prince William – about 99% of the English speaking world will know he is married.  But I may be biased.  My father never wore a ring either.  What do you all think?

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Re: Prince William: No wedding ring
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
I think this is up to the couple to decide. I do think there are more men than women who don't wear wedding rings, but as long as it's OK for *both* people in the relationship to not wear a ring, if they choose to, so be it.

I do know some married men who don't like to wear a ring, but would be very unhappy if their wives didn't wear her ring, and I just  ::) at that notion.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
I think this is completely between William and Kate. If she's okay with it, then I don't see a problem. (And if she's not okay with it, it's still between the two of them.)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
I think this is completely between William and Kate. If she's okay with it, then I don't see a problem. (And if she's not okay with it, it's still between the two of them.)

I agree completely.  It's nobody else's business and I don't see why anyone outside the couple would care one way or the other.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Aggiesque

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
Although I'd *like* to know why, it's really none of my business, and provided they are both ok with it, it's fine by me :)

I know more than a few men who don't wear rings due to their job (very hands-on), and several ladies who don't, including myself, because changing lab gloves frequently with rings is a pain.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
I'd imagine it would be a work thing. Isn't he a search and rescue pilot?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
As long as she doesn't care I don't see why i should.  If he came out and said somethign like "real men don't wear wedding rings" then I could see people getting offended.

shadowfox79

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
I think I remember an article from a UK paper which quoted him as saying he wasn't "a ring person", rather than it was a work thing. That said, it's still entirely up to him.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
That is for each couple to decide. None of my business.

Also, I think most people in the world know he is married! LOL!!
No matter where you go, there you are...

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
I think it's traditional for the men in the royal family not to wear rings--there was some media coverage of this at Charles and Diana's wedding. Diana got a wedding ring, but if you watch the videos of the Charles/Diana wedding, there are no vows that involve her putting a wedding ring on Charles' finger. However, I have a very dim memory that Diana did quietly shove a wedding ring on Charles' hand at some point in the ceremony, but there was nothing said about it--and I could be completely wrong about this.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I'm another one who doesn't see what difference it makes.  My father didn't wear a wedding ring for years.  I know several women who don't wear them -- say they just aren't comfortable with rings.

I had to take mine off when I was pregnant.  Even now (and my son is now 17) I will frequently take my rings off to clean or bake or put hand cream on or whatever, and forget to put them back on for several days.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
If he is doing things like search and rescue, where he might have to keep his ring off, I can see why. Not because it would be a pain, but to stave off the inevitable tabloid rumours. "He's not wearing his ring! Oh, my goodness - they must be divorcing!!!!" ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
1. It's totally between the HC whether or not they want to wear rings.

2. Most of the world is going to know that he's married.

3. Being as he's eventually going to be the King of England, I hardly think a wedding ring would be much of a deterrent anyway. Just sayin'.

My DH doesn't wear his wedding ring. But he does pipeline work in the oil patch and I'm rather fond of his fingers. I really don't want him to loose any of them.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Larrabee

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
My feelings on the matter depend entirely on how he feels about whether or not his wife wears a ring.

If I were ever to get married I'd find a refusal to wear a ring to be a huge red flag and a double standard.  I'd worry that the husband wanted to continue presenting himself as single whilst claiming 'ownership' over his wife.  Of course, that's probably not an issue here, as a PP said, he can't really hide the fact that he's married!

I suppose I'm a little confused, he gave Kate an engagement ring (and one with a lot of sentimental value and history) so he seems to buy into the idea of the ring as a symbol of commitment/connection etc.  Why does he not feel that way about his wedding ring?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
My feelings on the matter depend entirely on how he feels about whether or not his wife wears a ring.

If I were ever to get married I'd find a refusal to wear a ring to be a huge red flag and a double standard.  I'd worry that the husband wanted to continue presenting himself as single whilst claiming 'ownership' over his wife.  Of course, that's probably not an issue here, as a PP said, he can't really hide the fact that he's married!

I suppose I'm a little confused, he gave Kate an engagement ring (and one with a lot of sentimental value and history) so he seems to buy into the idea of the ring as a symbol of commitment/connection etc.  Why does he not feel that way about his wedding ring?

Historically, the concept of men wearing wedding rings is relatively recent.  I believe that double-ring ceremonies only became popular around WW II.

Some men (and some women, too) simply dislike wearing rings.  I got used to my Dh not wearing his ring often, but he did heavy mechanical work.  To me, it's a huge leap to conclude that a man who does not want to wear a ring is planning on cheating.