Author Topic: Prince William: No wedding ring  (Read 9927 times)

Maujer

Re: Prince William: No wedding ring
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Don't care. Honestly I'm somewhat surprised so many men wear wedding rings when you consider the fact that men rarely wear rings (or other jewelry) before they're married. I would understand if they thought it was uncomfortable and off putting. But my husband probably wears his ring more often than I wear mine (stupid freakishly small fingers that shrink in the winter).

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
My feelings on the matter depend entirely on how he feels about whether or not his wife wears a ring.

If I were ever to get married I'd find a refusal to wear a ring to be a huge red flag and a double standard.  I'd worry that the husband wanted to continue presenting himself as single whilst claiming 'ownership' over his wife.  Of course, that's probably not an issue here, as a PP said, he can't really hide the fact that he's married!

I suppose I'm a little confused, he gave Kate an engagement ring (and one with a lot of sentimental value and history) so he seems to buy into the idea of the ring as a symbol of commitment/connection etc.  Why does he not feel that way about his wedding ring?

Historically, the concept of men wearing wedding rings is relatively recent.  I believe that double-ring ceremonies only became popular around WW II.

Some men (and some women, too) simply dislike wearing rings.  I got used to my Dh not wearing his ring often, but he did heavy mechanical work.  To me, it's a huge leap to conclude that a man who does not want to wear a ring is planning on cheating.

Exactly. My father never wore a ring (he was born 1923.) And I agree absolutely with the bolded.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Larrabee

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
My feelings on the matter depend entirely on how he feels about whether or not his wife wears a ring.

If I were ever to get married I'd find a refusal to wear a ring to be a huge red flag and a double standard.  I'd worry that the husband wanted to continue presenting himself as single whilst claiming 'ownership' over his wife.  Of course, that's probably not an issue here, as a PP said, he can't really hide the fact that he's married!

I suppose I'm a little confused, he gave Kate an engagement ring (and one with a lot of sentimental value and history) so he seems to buy into the idea of the ring as a symbol of commitment/connection etc.  Why does he not feel that way about his wedding ring?

Historically, the concept of men wearing wedding rings is relatively recent.  I believe that double-ring ceremonies only became popular around WW II.

Some men (and some women, too) simply dislike wearing rings.  I got used to my Dh not wearing his ring often, but he did heavy mechanical work.  To me, it's a huge leap to conclude that a man who does not want to wear a ring is planning on cheating.

Historically doesn't really come into it for me, its only relatively recently that women were considered equals in a marriage!

If the man who doesn't like to wear rings is fine with his wife not wearing one, and she is also ok with it, then there's no problem.  For me, it would be. 

One of the main reasons I really don't like engagement rings is that they are one-sided, men rarely wear them or any other symbol that they are unavailable. 

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:51 PM »
Maybe she likes rings, but he doesn't.  I really don't care if my DH wears a ring or not, he rarely does.  I wear mine, or at least some kind of ring,  everyday because I like to.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

kitty_ev

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
I love the fact my husband wears a ring (two actually- an engagement ring and a wedding ring), but he's a ring person, so he loves wearing it. How many rings he wears or doesn't wear as a symbol of our marriage is entirely our business though- I'm always rather unimpressed at the raised eyebrows that usually follow when someone realises that he wears an engagement as well as a wedding ring. I think if Kate's happy for her soon-to-be husband not to wear a wedding ring, then it's really no one else's business. As several PPs have pointed out- this is going to be one of the most widely televised weddings of all time and he's an easily recognisable chap, so it's hardly going to be a secret that he's married.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »
Most English men didn't wear rings until relatively recently, and many still don't. My father doesn't wear one, and my Grandad only started wearing one after Granny died, and he starting wearing her wedding ring. DH stopped wearing his because he was afraid of losing it at work- he was doing a very physical job at the time, and never got into the habit afterwards.

So it really isn't a big deal here, and even if it was, it would still be a matter for the couple.
NE England

Larrabee

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »
Most English men didn't wear rings until relatively recently, and many still don't. My father doesn't wear one, and my Grandad only started wearing one after Granny died, and he starting wearing her wedding ring. DH stopped wearing his because he was afraid of losing it at work- he was doing a very physical job at the time, and never got into the habit afterwards.

So it really isn't a big deal here, and even if it was, it would still be a matter for the couple.

I'm English.  My dad literally never takes his off, his skin is a completely different colour under his ring!  My grandfather has always worn his too, for 50 years now.  I'd say most of the married men I know wear a ring, its the one piece of jewellery allowed in my workplace, a groom at a recent wedding could be seen showing his off to his ushers just after the ceremony with a proud look on his face, it was very sweet really!

LEMon

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Regarding her ring, can you imagine the noise that would have been made if they had chosen to get engaged, and she never had and never planned to wear an engagement ring?  Ho boy, I can imagine the headlines now - all accusing him of being all sorts of things.

Larrabee

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Regarding her ring, can you imagine the noise that would have been made if they had chosen to get engaged, and she never had and never planned to wear an engagement ring?  Ho boy, I can imagine the headlines now - all accusing him of being all sorts of things.

Huh?  I don't get it!  If a woman doesn't wear an engagement ring what does her fiance get accused of?  ???

Did you mean accusing her?  I can see that!

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »

I'm English.  My dad literally never takes his off, his skin is a completely different colour under his ring!  My grandfather has always worn his too, for 50 years now.  I'd say most of the married men I know wear a ring, its the one piece of jewellery allowed in my workplace, a groom at a recent wedding could be seen showing his off to his ushers just after the ceremony with a proud look on his face, it was very sweet really!

And that's fine.

But some people simply don't like wearing rings.  I'd wager there are more men than women in this category, generally because lots of women are given simple rings (such as birthstones) as children and are more accustomed to wearing them.  Even for those who do like to wear rings, I don't think there's anything terribly noble about never taking it off.  Sometimes even wedding rings need repair, such as a loose stone (happened to me), a cleaning, or an insurance appraisal.

If you don't like engagement rings, that too is fine.  I have never heard that there is any sort of etiquette-rule that an engaged woman must have a ring.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
I think this is completely between William and Kate. If she's okay with it, then I don't see a problem. (And if she's not okay with it, it's still between the two of them.)

Pod.

I read an article that said historically, men in the royal family didn't wear wedding rings, and so Wills is following tradition. Either way, I don't much care. Like I said, I'm guessing most people are aware that he's getting married.

My dad can't even find his wedding ring. It wouldn't fit now anyway, and even if it did, he rather likes his fingers attached to his hand. He and mom are celebrating 39 years this year, so the missing ring doesn't seem to have caused a problem.
The status is not quo!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
I think this is completely between William and Kate. If she's okay with it, then I don't see a problem. (And if she's not okay with it, it's still between the two of them.)

Pod.

I read an article that said historically, men in the royal family didn't wear wedding rings, and so Wills is following tradition. Either way, I don't much care. Like I said, I'm guessing most people are aware that he's getting married.

My dad can't even find his wedding ring. It wouldn't fit now anyway, and even if it did, he rather likes his fingers attached to his hand. He and mom are celebrating 39 years this year, so the missing ring doesn't seem to have caused a problem.

If Kate is OK with it that is her business but if I were marrying into that family the last thing that would pacify me would be the explanation that he was followprevious marital standards set by the men in his fmaily.

BB-VA

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
No big deal.  I have a wedding ring, and it was up to me.  My husband did not insist.  He doesn't wear a ring - he doesn't like them.  Again, no big deal.  I didn't get the ring at our wedding ceremony, but shortly afterwards. 

Neither of my parents in law wore wedding rings - in fact, when they got engaged, she got an engagement watch.  It was the norm in their religious community - only USEFUL jewelry was allowed.  Rings are not useful, by their standards.

It's all just shiny rocks anyway - it only means what the owner puts into it, IMO.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

CakeBeret

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 11:21:35 PM »
I love rings (and all sorts of pretty jewelry!) so I wear my wedding/engagement ring all the time.

DH is a mechanic and cannot wear his ring to work at all. Since he can be pretty forgetful, it's safest for him to leave his ring in a safe spot and only put it on for special occasions. If he took it on and off every day, I guarantee he would lose it within a week. :P Honestly he's gone months without wearing it and it doesn't bother me at all. He and I are both aware of the commitment we have to each other, and neither one of us feels that the other 'has' to wear a ring. I wear mine because I want to. He doesn't wear his because it's impractical.

I actually don't think it's fair that women get engagement rings and men get nothing, so when we got engaged I bought DH an engagement watch. I got his input on styles that he liked, but picked it out myself. The night he proposed, I knew it was coming, so I brought the watch with me and gave it to him after he proposed and gave me my ring.

I don't think it's a big deal that William isn't going to wear a ring. It's not anybody else's business.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MaggieB

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 11:32:42 PM »
Regarding her ring, can you imagine the noise that would have been made if they had chosen to get engaged, and she never had and never planned to wear an engagement ring?  Ho boy, I can imagine the headlines now - all accusing him of being all sorts of things.

Huh?  I don't get it!  If a woman doesn't wear an engagement ring what does her fiance get accused of?  ???

Did you mean accusing her?  I can see that!

I'm not LEMon, but I'd imagine headlines insinuating that either William is too cheap/doesn't care enough to buy a ring or that the family doesn't trust a commoner with family jewels, etc.

As far as the issue here, I agree it's completely between them.  I will admit that I love the idea of a wedding ring on my (hypothetical) husband, and I'd be disappointed if he didn't want one at all ever...but that's my thing and I'm sure there'd be some middle ground that made us both happy if I end up wearing a guy who doesn't like rings.  If Kate's cool with it, that's all that matters.