Author Topic: Prince William: No wedding ring  (Read 9078 times)

pixel dust

Re: Prince William: No wedding ring
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
Personally, I want my Fiance to wear a ring when we get married. That's my hill to die on. His is me taking his last name. Both of which we're fine with.

If the couple is in agreement with each other, I don't see how it's a big deal. My friend's husband doesn't wear a ring, instead my friend got him a really nice watch.

HorseFreak

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 03:52:54 PM »
Just as an aside, all these married men working in construction who don't like the feel of a ring aren't making life any easier for us single girls!

First thing I do if I meet or see a guy I like?  Check for a wedding ring.  I wonder how much time I've wasted trying to be understatedly charming to married men...

I don't agree with this post at all.  Many married men will be perfectly polite to a young woman who is trying to make pleasant conversation.  If they are not wearing a wedding ring, should their first reply be "just so you know, I'm married?"

You seem to want to have it both ways, here.  You must be allowed to keep your name (I don't disagree with that at all) but he must  be forced to at least try to wear a ring.

How is that both ways?  To me that seems quite consistent, I want equality within a relationship.

Note I didn't say anything about 'forced', but I would hope that any hypothetical future husband would understand that it was important to me and actually want to at least give it a try!

Wives taking their husband's last name and only wives but not husbands wearing wedding rings both come from sexist traditions.  I love the symbolism and sentiment behind wedding rings, so it matters to me, but it only matters if both partners wear one, otherwise the symbolism is completely changed imo.

(I understand about not being able to wear one in some lines of work, but I think it would be nice to try and find a compromise.  Women aren't allowed to wear rings with stones in my job for safety reasons so a lot of the, have figured out ways to keep their engagement rings on their person without having them on their finger.)

*To your first point, if they were wearing a ring they wouldn't need to tell me they're married, I'd see it and wouldn't approach, saving us both time!  I can't think of any safety reasons why a man couldn't wear a ring to a bar, or party or other social situations!

Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate, but what about men who just have a girlfriend or fiancee? They are going to be just as unavailable, but have no social expectations of wearing a physical symbol of it.

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 02:01:58 PM »
My father never wore a ring.  He had seen a fellow jump from a truck during the war and leave his ring finger behind!  Never wore a ring after seeing that.
My husband also does not wear a ring.  He is a musician and very paranoid about his fingers. No problem from me either way.   I like him  unparanoid and complete with 10 fingers!

Larrabee

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
Just as an aside, all these married men working in construction who don't like the feel of a ring aren't making life any easier for us single girls!

First thing I do if I meet or see a guy I like?  Check for a wedding ring.  I wonder how much time I've wasted trying to be understatedly charming to married men...

I don't agree with this post at all.  Many married men will be perfectly polite to a young woman who is trying to make pleasant conversation.  If they are not wearing a wedding ring, should their first reply be "just so you know, I'm married?"

You seem to want to have it both ways, here.  You must be allowed to keep your name (I don't disagree with that at all) but he must  be forced to at least try to wear a ring.

How is that both ways?  To me that seems quite consistent, I want equality within a relationship.

Note I didn't say anything about 'forced', but I would hope that any hypothetical future husband would understand that it was important to me and actually want to at least give it a try!

Wives taking their husband's last name and only wives but not husbands wearing wedding rings both come from sexist traditions.  I love the symbolism and sentiment behind wedding rings, so it matters to me, but it only matters if both partners wear one, otherwise the symbolism is completely changed imo.

(I understand about not being able to wear one in some lines of work, but I think it would be nice to try and find a compromise.  Women aren't allowed to wear rings with stones in my job for safety reasons so a lot of the, have figured out ways to keep their engagement rings on their person without having them on their finger.)

*To your first point, if they were wearing a ring they wouldn't need to tell me they're married, I'd see it and wouldn't approach, saving us both time!  I can't think of any safety reasons why a man couldn't wear a ring to a bar, or party or other social situations!

Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate, but what about men who just have a girlfriend or fiancee? They are going to be just as unavailable, but have no social expectations of wearing a physical symbol of it.

I actually think the tradition of engaged women wearing a 'taken' symbol but not engaged men is actually pretty sexist, I think the same as with wedding rings, if one's going to wear one then both should!