Author Topic: How do you feed him?!?!?!?!? - For mothers of teenagers  (Read 3309 times)

Garden Goblin

Re: How do you feed him?!?!?!?!? - For mothers of teenagers
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
This is why I have two acres of garden, goats, and chickens.  I can turn the kid out to forage on his own in the summer and autumn.  He's only four, I just dread the teen years.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
Egad.  I've always hoped we'd have at least one boy.  Now I'm not so sure!  I'm the shortest person in my family at 5'5.5", and my husband is 6'4".  Both our daughters are on track to be very tall (growth charts can be wrong, but their huge feet and progress so far put them at least at 5'9").  If we have a boy, I'll have to sell one of the other kids to feed him.  Or maybe he'll take after me and be the shortest person in the family.

In my experience, girls can be just as bad.  DD is and athlete and when she is actively training she's an eating machine. There are some days that I can honestly say that five minutes didn't pass without food being ingested.  And she's not tall either, right around 5' 2".

Come to think of it, I was like this, too.  My metabolism is still pretty high.  I am always, always hungry, and as long as I'm doing some working out regularly, I don't gain weight (losing weight is a little harder).

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »

-snip-

When I got my first apartment, I had no idea how to cook for one or two people. That single potato just looked so alone, when I was used to peeling 20 at a time.

This sounds a lot like me - I was so used to cooking enough to feed six people that when I lived alone I struggled for a while, until I discovered the delights of entertaining and began to invite friends over every couple of nights.

My friends were mostly late teen-early twenties guys, usually offered to pitch in some cash (we were all students at the time) if it meant they didn't have to cook, and they took care of the problem of leftovers.

My favourite method, when I was living alone, was to organise Spaghetti Night with the guys - assign two to pick up the meat, one to find the tomatoes, another to forage for vegetables. All I had to supply was the pasta and the massive cooking pot and serving bowls and I got a good meal and company for the evening - plus they usually supplied the beer, too!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
Yep... I remember when my own son was going through the feeding frenzies.  He'd eat massive amounts then lay on the couch and I swear I could watch him grow, then get up and eat some more.    I also remember when he went through 5 pounds of fruit in a day.   We won't talk about the large pack of tp that followed that.  

The fruit was one of those 5 pound bags of mixed stuff... red and green apples and oranges.  He ate it ALL.   9 years old.  

edited for spelling
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
My daughter (18) goes through spurts where she just eats everything and anything in sight. Then she shoots up an inch. These are, thankfully, getting fewer and further apart these days, but boy, do I feel the whole "Leftovers? What are those?" thing!

My survival plan for these times is to keep mostly healthy snacks around for her to devour. I'd rather she eat 4 nectarines than a bag of chips :) It seems to work, even as she plows through those and then makes fettuccine alfredo....

darling

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
I have to ask since this is an etiquette site.  I understand that growing boys eat a lot.  However, some of the stories here sound pretty inconsiderate - taking all of something before anyone else gets a chance, putting an entire pound of meat on a sandwich, not considering if others want one. 

I get they eat alot but shouldn't they be taught there are other people and to be a bit more considerate?   Perhaps take two pieces of a full chicken, eat that, wait for everyone to ensure they don't want more either. 

I don't know, it sounds... quite selfish and inconsiderate at times. 

Do they do this when they are guests in someone's house?  Now that I think of it, I went to my friend's house for NYE a few years ago.  Her parents came with their respective SO's and step siblings.  One of the boys was around 17 or 18 YO... or thereabouts.  Considered a growing boy.  No problem.  However, the problem I had was when he put the ENTIRE plate of chicken wings on his plate.  Leaving none for anyone else.  I happened to be in front of him.  I took two pieces.  He took about 25 clearing the entire plate.

I see men do this frequently - taking most of something on a buffet or at a potluck when there are many more people behind.  I was raised to take just a bit so everyone has a chance to get some.

Is this lost on growing boys?  It doesn't seem that etiquette should be passed for them. 

(OP here) My son is almost painfully careful at all larger family events that he takes only a minimal amount of food the first time through a line, and he waits until everyone has had firsts before heading up for seconds (as in, he'll take less the first time around than what is on the plates of some of the 6 and under crowd in our family). Only after everyone has been through once or twice, will he take more food. He's well aware the etiquette, as it has been reinforced since he was able to fill his own plate at family dinners.

The big amounts are eaten only at home (and he will ask me if I want more before he takes a second helping), or at my parents' house when it is just our close family (my dad purposefully always makes 3 burgers just for my son). He doesn't just fill up on the main dish, as he also likes veggies quite a bit, too. If he's still hungry when we leave, we'll stop and get something else on the way home.

Pinky830

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »
When my cousin Harry was in high school, he used to spend a week with us in the summer. If Mom made chicken for dinner, she had to make two...one for the rest of us and one for Harry.

My 11 year old DS is just starting this stage of his life. He really doesn't eat a ton, but I'm having to adjust a little. I'll make a recipe that is supposed to serve 4, and previously that would have made at least one serving's worth of leftovers. These days, to quote another cousin of mine when he was a teenager: "Ain't no leftovers."