Author Topic: Flirting -- old people style.  (Read 861 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Flirting -- old people style.
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »
BG: LDH has been gone for 4 years now. I've been on dates (the longest guy lasted close to 4 months, nothing serious and no angry partings.) I have my male friends (close friends of the family, nobody that I would think of in that way.) end BG.

I went to my helpful hardware store today. First time in maybe a year? And Helpful Hardware Man (HHM) was johnny-on-the-spot, right there to help me -- just like he always has been when I've been there before. I was in an aisle with the bug-be-gone stuff (I have ant hills in my yard) and there were two other people discussing ant problems . . . though theirs were inside the home, mine is outside (and I don't want them coming in!)

When HHM came into the aisle, he looked at me and smiled, big. "How've you been?" I smiled back and said "Real good. You?" he said "I haven't seen you in a while, what can I do for you?"

I responded "I think we all have the same question -- they were here before me."

He then put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed just a touch "Let me get passed you for a minute." (The aisle was really tight.)

He then pulled products off the shelves, answered question -- your basic friendly sales pitch. The other two customers left happy.

HHM turned to me and said "for the outside hills -- use this." Then he said "Wow. It's good to see you again. I thought you moved away."

I blushed, smiled and said "I'm still here . . . just haven't had a need to stop in. Thanks for your help." Then walked away.

So, was the guy trying to flirt with me? I'm almost thinking that I should find more reasons to stop in. Maybe flirt a bit with him? Did I totally screw it up?

I'm not hip on "old age" flirting (I'm 50) -- He is attractive.

What would you do?

Share your own stories, please!

NutMeg

Re: Flirting -- old people style.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »
He was totally flirting with you. Go back! Ask him out! Do it!
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »
Ahem. I will be 50 in a few months - we are NOT old people.

Now that I have that straight ...

Yep - flirty.
1. Check his hand for a wedding ring.
2. Go back. You need to paint your bathroom, don't you? Hang a picture? Kill crabgrass?
3. If you're not sure, flirt back a little - see what happens!

Have fun!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
Fifty is old?  ???  :(  :'(

Some of us are more or less around um ... seventyish.  And I think flirting is like riding a bike.  You don't forget how just because you got a little older.  As long as this guy isn't sporting a wedding band and is legal drinking age, don't you need a brand new one of those things you screw into the end of your faucets?  What size would you need for your kitchen?  And then in a week or two, your bathroom?

Oh heck.  Just tell him if he'll come and put them on for you, you'll cook dinner for him.   >:D

Aggiesque

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Oh heck.  Just tell him if he'll come and put them on for you, you'll cook dinner for him. 

This!!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Silversurfer

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
tee hee hee!
Good luck jpcher - make sure you keep us updated! I third the decision to cook him dinner.
The worst that could happen is that he says no - the best... well who knows!

Cyradis

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
I think the gentle touch is a fairly classic move regardless of age.  :) I agree with PPs who suggest starting lots of new projects round the house and yard.  ;D