Author Topic: First World Annoyances  (Read 54880 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
Re: First World Annoyances
« Reply #705 on: July 24, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
, I still consider myself lucky to a) have another powder room so we only have to figure out how to shower when that time comes and b) have indoor plumbing at all.
One can get fairly clean with a basin full of water and a washcloth.  Use a wet cloth to wipe body part(s), starting from the face down, soap, wipe off with wet cloth, rinse cloth in sink to remove soap, repeat.  If basin water gets too soapy, drain and refill.   Hair can be washed by sticking one's head under the kitchen tap, if the hair isn't too long and your neck doesn't cramp up too bad.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

KimberlyM

« Reply #706 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
Our only full bath was gutted in February.  We had 6 days with no shower.  We managed...it sucked, but we went to my dad's to shower a couple times and did the kitchen sink bath the rest of the time. 

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #707 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
I dropped my laptop after lunch today and broke the screen. (It was the laptop or the baby, I think I made the right call.) It's not under warranty, but a new screen will only cost about $70. In the meantime I can use the Kindle Fire, DH's laptop, the computer in the living room or the computer in our bedroom. But I'm still annoyed about not having my laptop with things set up the way I want.

snowflake

« Reply #708 on: July 24, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
, I still consider myself lucky to a) have another powder room so we only have to figure out how to shower when that time comes and b) have indoor plumbing at all.
One can get fairly clean with a basin full of water and a washcloth.  Use a wet cloth to wipe body part(s), starting from the face down, soap, wipe off with wet cloth, rinse cloth in sink to remove soap, repeat.  If basin water gets too soapy, drain and refill.   Hair can be washed by sticking one's head under the kitchen tap, if the hair isn't too long and your neck doesn't cramp up too bad.

Thanks, this is useful because it might come to this.

Oh, and I also have a shower at work.  But I like having my bathroom where I can leave my toiletries out!  Yep.  Talk about spoiled.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #709 on: July 24, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »

We have had to do this, too. But it really grossed me out, so I keep a spray bottle of bleach water to use after each body use in the kitchen and in the bathroom. That includes hair washing and tooth brushing. (I fill the spray bottle about 1/4 full of bleach and fill with water. That is way much more bleach than needed.) Yeah, my bathroom sink gets bleached about 4 times a day.

Amara

« Reply #710 on: July 24, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
You're fortunate to have access to a work shower (even though I'd want to bleach the heck out of thing thing before using it). In my last place, the one bathroom went out leaving me with no toilet or shower access. This is NOT a good thing and I was thoroughly squicked out. It didn't help that it was August, and hot, hot, hot.

Fortunately, there was a small family-run food market (produce and other goods) around the corner that had two really nice bathrooms (women and men) it let customers use. The shower was harder, but what I did was to shower twice a day in the garage with the door open just enough to admit light but not enough so anyone could see under it past my knees. (Not that anyone could see without peeking.) I turned on the garden hose, had soap, shampoo/conditioner, towels, etc. with me. The water was *cold* at first but after five minutes or so felt warm, almost too warm by the end of it. I thoroughly scrubbed and felt really clean each day. Not something I would care to repeat again, but entirely do-able. And much better than being without a shower.

JoW

« Reply #711 on: July 24, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
Many years ago about 20 hours into a 30 hour power failure I drove into town and took an exercise class at my health club primarily to use the shower after class. 

For others in similar situations, many health clubs will let you buy one visit.  My current club charges about $10.  If you are 3 or 4 days into a power failure a shower might be worth that much.  My club even provides the towel, soap, shampoo, and shaving cream. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #712 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
About the time zone thing. As a kid I felt sorry for kids in the Eastern time zone, since the good shows would come on after 8 pm which was bedtime. For my cousins in the Atlantic zone they weren't on till 9.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #713 on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Many years ago about 20 hours into a 30 hour power failure I drove into town and took an exercise class at my health club primarily to use the shower after class. 

For others in similar situations, many health clubs will let you buy one visit.  My current club charges about $10.  If you are 3 or 4 days into a power failure a shower might be worth that much.  My club even provides the towel, soap, shampoo, and shaving cream.

Oh my goodness that is so helpful to know.  My mother has to limit visits to our house for that reason.   We have a downstairs bathroom, but the shower is upstairs.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #714 on: July 25, 2012, 03:30:11 AM »
Are you serious?  That's on par with the area code thing in Seinfeld when Elaine moves and her new phone number has 646 instead of 212.

Sadly, I am serious. I have had easily two dozen conversations with her in the last month about this issue. Yes, I am still baffled.

We travel quite a bit and are more than aware of time zones - we always take them into account when calling home, for example. I have to admit that I kind of have a small culture shock when we go to the Eastern zone from Cental every year. Everything seems just enough later to throw me off. Even 3 weeks later, it will bug me.

On the other hand, I think you have been posting long enough that I understand why you just want to scream "Adjust, already!", but I know why you don't. Good for you.

Here's a bit of trivia for you. Do you know how many official time zones they have in China?
Answer spoilered One - that's Communism for you.

Victoria

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #715 on: July 25, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
The store where I work is playing some really annoying music that gets stuck in my head. *whine*

gadget--gal

« Reply #716 on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:04 AM »
Now that they Olympics have come to town, and I *have* to drive to work. I have to leave home at 5.30 am to avoid the gridlock due to lane restrictions.

Luckilt for me, my office building will be open from 6am for the duration of the Games; but do you know what sucks? putting on make-up without natural light! yeah, that's my biggest peeve... ::)

Pippen

« Reply #717 on: July 27, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
The store where I work is playing some really annoying music that gets stuck in my head. *whine*

That is a recognised form of torture and no doubt a breach of your human rights.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #718 on: July 27, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
What, you can't telecommute during the Olympics?

X-posted from "What little things" thread:  When Google's Blogger is slow.  I have two blogs there and I need to edit an entry for tonight.

snowflake

« Reply #719 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »
I got home last night and found that due to an unforseen problem with the bathroom (isn't this how it goes) we wouldn't have water over night.  OK, I knew about the shower possibility but I would have like to know that I needed to invest in a chamber pot or something.

So I went to the grocery store at 11 last night  (Yes, I bought something too) to relieve myself.  Then this morning I was up early so I could get to work to shower and pee.  I don't have a horrible commute, but still I was hurrying to our bathroom wing.  Someone behind me said, "What could possibly be so urgent at this time of the morning."

Um, because this first-world problem is just a little more time-sensitive than most?