Author Topic: First World Annoyances  (Read 59089 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: First World Annoyances
« Reply #720 on: July 28, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
For those who might have no water a little longer than that (or those who are camping and don't want to go wandering in the night to find a privy) might want to invest in a bucket of clumping cat litter.  When nature calls, take the lid off and use the litter in exactly the way your cat does.  Dispose of the used litter as needed. 

Got this from an SCA member who was heavily pregnant during the Pennsic War, and didn't want to make the hike to the privy 2 or 3 times a night.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

snowdragon

« Reply #721 on: July 28, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
You're fortunate to have access to a work shower (even though I'd want to bleach the heck out of thing thing before using it). In my last place, the one bathroom went out leaving me with no toilet or shower access. This is NOT a good thing and I was thoroughly squicked out. It didn't help that it was August, and hot, hot, hot.

Fortunately, there was a small family-run food market (produce and other goods) around the corner that had two really nice bathrooms (women and men) it let customers use. The shower was harder, but what I did was to shower twice a day in the garage with the door open just enough to admit light but not enough so anyone could see under it past my knees. (Not that anyone could see without peeking.) I turned on the garden hose, had soap, shampoo/conditioner, towels, etc. with me. The water was *cold* at first but after five minutes or so felt warm, almost too warm by the end of it. I thoroughly scrubbed and felt really clean each day. Not something I would care to repeat again, but entirely do-able. And much better than being without a shower.

Get gallons of water from whereever you can. you can then "manually flush" the toilet by pour water into it. It should work the same way as when you wash the floor and dump the water down it the toilet flushes - at least ours will.

Green Bean

« Reply #722 on: November 04, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
Reviving an old thread that I keep seeing references to.

I stood 10 minutes in the cafeteria line today for their special butternut squash and pumpkin seen spring rolls. When if was finally my turn to order, they had just run out. The guy right in front of me ordered the last ones. Bummer.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #723 on: November 04, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
You're fortunate to have access to a work shower (even though I'd want to bleach the heck out of thing thing before using it). In my last place, the one bathroom went out leaving me with no toilet or shower access. This is NOT a good thing and I was thoroughly squicked out. It didn't help that it was August, and hot, hot, hot.

We also have one at work, but I'm a. squicked out by the thought of other people using it and b. being nekkid at my workplace. its off the main "gym" which really is a room with like 3 macines. A lot of folks were using it after Sandy last year, but I couldn't bring myself to. So I washed with cold water for a couple of days until I went to stay wiht friends who had power.

DollyPond

« Reply #724 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »

Fortunately, there was a small family-run food market (produce and other goods) around the corner that had two really nice bathrooms (women and men) it let customers use. The shower was harder, but what I did was to shower twice a day in the garage with the door open just enough to admit light but not enough so anyone could see under it past my knees. (Not that anyone could see without peeking.) I turned on the garden hose, had soap, shampoo/conditioner, towels, etc. with me. The water was *cold* at first but after five minutes or so felt warm, almost too warm by the end of it. I thoroughly scrubbed and felt really clean each day. Not something I would care to repeat again, but entirely do-able. And much better than being without a shower.

Get gallons of water from whereever you can. you can then "manually flush" the toilet by pour water into it. It should work the same way as when you wash the floor and dump the water down it the toilet flushes - at least ours will.
^^^^ THIS

There was a water outage here over the summer and a news crew went out to interview people.  One woman was telling her tale and said "And i don't even want to tell you how bad the toilets are!"  Out the back door of her kitchen was…A SWIMMING POOL!!!!  I said "Lady, go get a bucket, get water out of that pool and flush your %*%#@# toilets!"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #725 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
I'm a mechanical klutz, and even I know how to get a toilet to flush if you have another source of water for it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #726 on: November 05, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
My ereader's battery isn't holding a charge nearly as long as it did when it was new.

Lil Sis mentioned that one of hers now has also had its battery life drop drastically.  Since she rides a bus most days rather than taking her car downtown & paying for parking, not to mention the nerve wracking effects of driving in rush hour traffic, she does get rather a lot of reading done.  Sometimes she naps - but you don't want to miss YOUR stop!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

scotcat60

« Reply #727 on: November 06, 2013, 03:34:09 AM »
Buying a photograph album to store my collection of postcards and finding that most of them are just that little bit too big for the pockets.

Being given a plastic bag in a shop without being asked if I want one, or being asked but still given one when I've said "No thank you"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #728 on: November 06, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »
The fact that my orthopaedic surgeon, physical therapist and therapy assistant are all freakishly beautiful men.

I have an appointment tomorrow to follow up on my shoulder surgery and I have to sit there and try to pay attention to what they're saying while trying not to look like a drooling imbicile.

Dontcha feel sorry for me?  >:D

cwm

« Reply #729 on: November 06, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
My ereader's battery isn't holding a charge nearly as long as it did when it was new.

Lil Sis mentioned that one of hers now has also had its battery life drop drastically.  Since she rides a bus most days rather than taking her car downtown & paying for parking, not to mention the nerve wracking effects of driving in rush hour traffic, she does get rather a lot of reading done.  Sometimes she naps - but you don't want to miss YOUR stop!

Depending on what kind of ereader it is, could it be the wi-fi? I know my phone dies faster when I leave data and wi-fi turned on, so if there's any way to put your reader into airplane mode where it's not actively transferring data or searching for signals, it can really boost the battery power.

As an example of how bad it can get, when I leave data on, my phone lasts maybe nine hours, tops. When I leave data off, I can get two or three days out of it with minimal use before needing to recharge.

Hillia

« Reply #730 on: November 06, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
I'm on a pickle kick..trying to break my sweet tooth, the strong flavors of the pickles help keep it in check with minimal calories (the salt is another problem entirely). 

Today I went to the store to get a refill on my bread and butter pickles, and accidentally bought the 'no sugar added' variety.  They're  made with Splenda, which apparently doesn't survive the pickling process too well.  Nasssty.  So now I have no bread and butter pickles.  Woe is me!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #731 on: November 06, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »

Depending on what kind of ereader it is, could it be the wi-fi? I know my phone dies faster when I leave data and wi-fi turned on, so if there's any way to put your reader into airplane mode where it's not actively transferring data or searching for signals, it can really boost the battery power.

As an example of how bad it can get, when I leave data on, my phone lasts maybe nine hours, tops. When I leave data off, I can get two or three days out of it with minimal use before needing to recharge.

Aluratek Pro Libre - no wireless - can use a wider range of formats (including .mobi, .epub, .rtf, .txt, and .pdf - there might be one more) - it's e-ink, no color, can also play music (earbud needed), but the main attraction is that Lil Sis has eye strain with most ereaders because there is a "flash" of light (or something) that gives her headaches.  The Aluratek Pro Libre does NOT flash and causes no eyestrain - six sizes of text - but no way to replace the battery once it dies.

I had a chance to buy a color ereader with wi-fi that used replaceable AA (AAA?) batteries at the local Goodwill - but couldn't quite convince myself that a used reader of unknown age & previous use (or abuse) history was a good idea - even at their $30 or so price tag.

I'm not cheap - but I don't have money to throw around - there was no way to tell how many batteries that thing would "eat" a week!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:09:51 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #732 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
Changing brands of cell phones, and not recognizing your own ring tone afterwards.

We just switched from HTC Droid phones to Motorola Droid phones. Mostly no big deal, except that my ring tone isn't available on this new phone, so I had to get a new one. When my phone rang, I didn't even recognize that it was A phone, much less MY phone, for a few seconds. Argh!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #733 on: November 07, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
We just had a mayoral election in NYC.  The Mayor-Elect lives literally around the corner from us.
The family isn't sure if they'll move in the Mayor's mansion in Manhattan. 

They're good neighbors but I sincerely hope they will move.

They left for a short vacation this morning.  The security and media Hoo-Hah were a royal pain. 

Four years of this would be very hard on the nerves. 

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:59:51 AM by Thipu1 »

magicdomino

« Reply #734 on: November 07, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »

^^^^ THIS

There was a water outage here over the summer and a news crew went out to interview people.  One woman was telling her tale and said "And i don't even want to tell you how bad the toilets are!"  Out the back door of her kitchen was…A SWIMMING POOL!!!!  I said "Lady, go get a bucket, get water out of that pool and flush your %*%#@# toilets!"

Last time my area had a major water outage, there was enough warning to fill some spare gallon water jugs.  If the jugs had run short though, I planned to re-fill the jugs at a nearby creek and loading up the pick-up truck.