Author Topic: Kitten advice please. Update #12 ! We have new kittah !  (Read 834 times)

POF

Kitten advice please. Update #12 ! We have new kittah !
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
I have an 8 month old kitten ( Chloe ) and an 18 year old senior cat ( Smokes ).

Chloe like the older cat and constantly tries to engage her in play. Old cat is having NONE of this. Honestly, I think Smokes is on her last legs. Nothing they can pinpoint at the vet, she is just getting feeble.

We have been thinking about a companion cat for Chloe. We also have a dog and Chloe likes the dog a lot.

At the pound, we found an ad for an 8 month old female kitten who they want to place ion a home with children and other cats. Apparently this cat LOVES to play with other cats and also like children. I talked to the Animal officer today ( who manages the town shelter - and knows us ) and she thinks it would be great for us to take this kitten. She's had 2 adoptions fall through for her and really wants to get her a good home.

I have a couple of concerns.... I think that my Chloe will love a playmate, she's active, engages the dog, plays with the boys and tries to get the old cat to interact with her. But .... will it be a problem since they are exactly the same age.....

My hope is that these 2 will form a unit and leave old kitty cat alone. Do you think I am setting up old kitty cat for a tag team who want her to play with them.

We leave for a one week vacation on April 15. We have a great cat sitter who comes by every day. I'm a little nervous about having new cat for 10 days and then leaving.

I meet new kitty on Wednesday.... so I think I will know when I see her.... but just wanted some advice.

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:50:48 AM by POF »

Ceiling Fan

Re: Kitten advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:21:34 PM »
I definitely think they will pair off and leave Smokes alone. Chloe wants someone to play with, when you get her another kitten who wants the same thing, they'll keep each other occupied.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »
I think that once kitten has a playmate, they will both leave your older cat alone.  

POF

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »
Thanks ,

thats what I am hoping too !

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
And you must post pictures of them playing together!  ;)

Mikayla

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
I guess all we can do is go by our own experience, but I've had cats my whole life, and there has never been a problem integrating them into my household.   This includes my adult life (single and married) mostly in smaller condos and townhomes, and we never let cats outside, so they're forced to get along!

I think the biggest mistake people make is they expect too much, too soon.  I recently moved temporarily to my sis's and I have a large Yorkie (11 lbs) and 2 cats.  My sis has a medium sized dog and a large one.  So we've got 5 animals!  There have been minor adjustments, especially since at least one of the dogs had never been exposed to cats.  But all 5 are socialized and well treated, so it's working out. 

Short version:  I think this will be fine.  In fact, it sounds like fun and will likely take pressure off your 18 year old.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »
I got the Duke boys (in separate acquisitions) in 2009, when Spot was around 15. They did their best to charm her, but nothing worked, so they formed a dynamic duo and generally leave her be. (I have noticed that they're both very solicitous of her. Luke in particular is her helper kitten, providing a lean-on so she can go where she wants at times. He also leads her to the water bowl when she has lost it.)
Words mean things.

valkyrie

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
Juana, your Luke sounds like a total love!

I'm just posting for updates -- i haven't integrated cats before (my cat stays isolated when visiting my moms :-( ) and I'm watching for advice for the future...

POF

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
Chloe tries to tease the older cat into playing.... by poking her or ALMOST touching her with a paw. It is hauntingly like my brother torturing me on car rides with the ... I 'm not tooouchhing her.

She also wants to lick Smokes and try to wash her. Smokes becomes really upset and a cat slap fight ensues.

They do however sleep on the couch at the same time and on occasion .... almost snuggle.

I'll definitely let you know how it works out.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
     I want to follow your thread here, POF, because I just brought home a 1 yo female cat to keep company of my 11 yo male... I never thought the age disparity would be a problem... then again, I have a BF 20 years older than me  ;D  We're only about 24 hours into the introductions, so not sure which way the scales are gonna tip... I am on the watch for advice on how to ease it as well!  Best wishes to you!
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

POF

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
Well, my old cat is really a super special snowflake. She's part Siamese ..... and really high maintenance. her goal is be carried like a baby ALL the time. DH zips her up in his sweatshirt and carries her around with her head sticking out of the top.  She doesn't really like ANYONE but him. She likes me if I am wearing flannel or a fuzzy sweater.

She can only drink water out of a special plastic drinking cup ( must be the blue one ) that is wedged into a corner of the dish drainer. if it is NOT in the right place .. she smacks it over.

POF

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
We adopted Zoe last night .... it wasn't love at first sight with me .... but she's had a very tough time and was kind of skittish. Because of the crowded conditions at the shelter and a small eye infection .. she was out back in a kennel in the dog area.

They brought her out for us to visit with and she was spooky, we did get to hold her and she warmed up to me a bit. The officer and the volunteer who feeds her everyday said once she gets comfortable she's a real lovey. They weren't sure how she would be with the dog.  My DS11 was NOT going to leave without her .. he did not want her to go back in a cage ....

We put her in his room, she avoided us and just kept squeaking and looking around. He stayed back and just watched TV while she walked around.

I peaked in later and she was sitting on his lap purring and chirping and getting pets.

She slet down in DH's workroom and when I went to check on her she darted out. She then met the dog ... they were both fine .. a couple of sniffs and so what. She also went and met the older cat who was actually nice to her.

The kitten however is AFRAID of her... she went hissing and climbed to the top of the hutch only to come down later.

We finally got Zoe back in a bedroom ( DH and I can not pet her yet .... ) and Chloe came down and was not happy.

At least there was no aggression and the new cat is super friendly with the other animals... I hope Chloe will warm up in time.... ( I was surpised at her reaction though ).

We are switching them around in different rooms ( to get them used to the scent ) and will try them tomorrow.  They were playing with each other by sticking paws at each under the door .....

Lorelei_Evil

Re: Kitten advice please. Update #12 ! We have new kittah !
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
Sounds like normal socialization to me!  Also, when your DS goes off to college, he better take HIS cat with him, cos she will mourn. /voice of experience

Once she gets the scent of the adoption center off of her things should go better.

POF

Re: Kitten advice please. Update #12 ! We have new kittah !
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
That's a good point.... the kitten had been in a home and had been turned back in because of an allergy. She was very unhappy at the shelter... so I bet the smell brings back some memory.

DS11 is a cat whisperer. They love him..... he was playing with a psycho kitty at the shelter who they will not adopt out because he is just a crab ( they are a no kill - he's living out his life in a comfy cat room ). Yep he was all over DS, they even let DS take him out of the cage and walk around with him... holding him like a baby. ( The volunteers were amazed ) .. the animal officer knows our family and she just laughed.

She also told DS to come back and volunteer when he turns 12.