Author Topic: Suggestion for a "finger food" potluck!  (Read 8767 times)

Aggiesque

Suggestion for a "finger food" potluck!
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
Please help! My brain is failing and you guys are awesome.

My workplace is having a finger-food lunch potluck next week (wed). I need something to feed at least 8 (there are 50-60 participating/attending, but based on other potlucks, that's about how much each person brings).

I won't have much time the day before, and it needs to be made the evening before.

It can be a side dish or main course type dish.

Problem: I am on a VERY strict budget- Ideally I'd like to stay under 12, but I can go up to 20 bucks :)

Any ideas for something simple and yummy to bring?
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
Re: Suggestion for a "finger food" potluck!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
Spinach and cheese philo triangles (or any savory filling)! Philo is fairly cheap and you get a lot, you can pretty much invent your own tasty filling, and while assembly can take a bit of time, they are pretty easy to make, especially in small batches for testing/tweaking the recipe.

Mikayla

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
Nothing is more budget friendly than deviled eggs, and they always go fast.  You can get several 18 count cartons for well under $10, and then just look for ways to dress them up.  Here's a 2 year old thread in the ehell recipe request folder, and it's linked to an older (and more thorough) thread. 
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=48841.0

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
Deviled eggs are great
Chicken and apple salad served in endive or butter lettuce cups
Put romaine lettuce spears on a plate in a circle and sprinkel with shaved parmesean. When ready to serve, drizzle with cesear dressing.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »
Crockpot Mushrooms:

2 pounds of whole mushrooms.  Just wash, do not slice.
1 stick of butter
one package Hidden Valley Ranch dip or dressing powder.

Put in crockpot on your way to work, butter on bottom, next mushrooms and then dressing mix on top.  Dont even need to stir.  Plug in when you get to work for 2 hours.  After two hours, turn down to low or keep warm.  The liquid from the mushrooms will release and mix with the dressing mmix and butter.  You have very yummy mushrooms. 

If you have a 6 qt crockpot, you can double the recipe and use one package of regular hidden valley mix and another of their Santa Fe flavour. 

They don't take long at all in the crockpot.  I sent these with DH for his potluck last week.  It was too difficult for him to bring a hot crockpot with him, so this works really well b/c everything was inside and he just had to plug it in and turn it on and stir a couple times.  Not one mushroom was left and several people asked for the recipe.

pop_psychosis

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:34:01 AM »
I don't like to cook, so I always bring pinwheels (or "deli spirals" according to the box) and everyone loves them. I just buy them frozen from Sam's Club (Costco in my area doesn't have them, grocery stores do but smaller boxes for the same price) and I thaw them overnight in the fridge. They're $10.98 for a box of 60 (containing 3 different kinds). They're really good, cheap, and effortless.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:38:52 AM »
I love with all of my heart tiny hot dogs (or Li'l Smokies) rolled up in crescent rolls (I cut them in half first).  I can't remember exactly how long to cook them, or at what temperature, but I think I mostly followed the package directions for the crescent rolls, then added a minute or two.  Terrible for you, but so, so, so good.  I could eat them all day.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
I love with all of my heart tiny hot dogs (or Li'l Smokies) rolled up in crescent rolls (I cut them in half first).  I can't remember exactly how long to cook them, or at what temperature, but I think I mostly followed the package directions for the crescent rolls, then added a minute or two.  Terrible for you, but so, so, so good.  I could eat them all day.

The best party food I ever made was Lil' Smokie wrapped in bacon and rolled in brown sugar, and baked. Those things were like heaven on a toothpick.

My brain just exploded.  That sounds heavenly.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Snewt

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
I like Alton Brown's spinach and artichoke dip, which you can make a day or two before and then microwave.  You can serve it in a small fondue pot or crock pot or just allow it to cool.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Hot wings are always a hit at my job.  You can buy a large package of frozen wings very cheap at a bulk store.  They are prepared by heating in the microwave. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Aggiesque

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Mrs J- that sounds fun! I know the priests will love 'em, lets hope they didn't give up meat for lent  >:D

Thank you guys for all of the ideas. I know I'll be trying several of these for just DH and myself as well!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

RobinJ

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
The best party food I ever made was Lil' Smokie wrapped in bacon and rolled in brown sugar, and baked. Those things were like heaven on a toothpick.

I make these all the time and they are always such a huge hit!

Oh Joy

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
This may be too boring, but how about celery with peanut butter (you fill and cut to 2" lengths) for a crunchy protein combo and baby carrots with dip for a healthy fiber filler?

Even easy things like this can look good if the presentation is nicely done, and it should be well within your budget.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
POD on Deviled eggs! They are always a hit and so cheap to make.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »

I make these all the time and they are always such a huge hit!

I made these at Christmas this year.  I could not stop eating them.  My sister kept laughing at me because I don't really like bacon, and I don't like Lil' Smokies, yet every time she turned around I had another one in my hand.