Author Topic: Odd socks...My Personal Remedy  (Read 706 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Odd socks...My Personal Remedy
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:46:26 PM »
I finally went through and threw out all the kids' socks that didn't have the size printed right on the side.  Amazing how a 2-year-old's socks and a 6-year-old's socks and a 32-year-old's socks can look so similar after washing, and I got sick of having to hold them up together and say "Are these supposed to match and one is just more stretched out, or . . .?"

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 01:54:56 PM »
The last time I went sock shopping, I bought 12 pairs of the same black socks, so it doesn't matter about matching them.  Then I went through my sock drawer, and threw out any unmatched socks (only 5 I think).  I keep the older black socks for the weekends, when it doesn't matter.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 02:01:04 PM »
I've got a polyester nightie that is a sock magnet.  Even when I've shaken it out I've found socks stuck to it.

demarco

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 06:14:26 PM »
I connect socks right out of the dryer. I keep two small bins on top of my dryer, one for DH and one for me. I call these bins The Island of Orphan Socks. I toss socks I can't match into one of the bins. Every once in a while I go through the bins trying to match up socks.

DH wears only dark socks and I can barely tell the difference between the black ones and the navy ones. Some if them have barely discernible knit patterns. They are various lengths. Matching them up is a pain. I would love to toss them all and replace them with several pairs of identical socks and be done with it. 

AustenFan

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:44:29 PM »
I keep lingerie bags on hooks over the laundry bins in my kids rooms, at the end of the day used socks go in and once a week the entire bag goes through the washer and dryer. Works like a charm as long as they remember not to ball their socks up as they go in the bag.

Also, my oldest only has black socks and the youngest only has grey.  Makes keeping track of when they need to be replaced easy and  I don't have to worry about sorting them.

I still find the occasional odd sock, but it's usually due to someone taking their socks off in the living room or bathroom and only one making it into the bag.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 07:02:21 PM »
With 5 of us in the house, there are plenty of single socks. I have one of those clear w/ white trim & a zipper bags that a set of twin size sheet came in. When I'm done sorting the clean laundry any socks missing their mate go into the bag. When one of the kids gets a little too mouthy or needs a chore to do, the socks get sorted. Socks that hang out in the bag for too long get turned into dog toys or used to cover the Great Dane's foot when she scratches up a paw pad.

Minmom3

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 09:25:25 PM »
I have 3 lingerie bags - 1 very fine mesh made by Tide for my bras, so the hook don't snag on the mesh and defeat the whole purpose of the bag, which is to extend the life of my expensive bras by not destroying them in the washer (and I'm not willing to hand wash ANYTHING).  The other 2 bags were very cheap, wider mesh, that my compression socks go in one, and my nice fat boot socks go in the other one.  Voila!  Nothing lost, nothing wrapped anywhere!   ;D  They all hang from a plant hanger hook on the closet rod, and I load them into the bag when I remove them from my body!

I would have given big money, possibly even a body part, for a few of those bags when my girls were little...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 09:27:27 PM »
My DD at an early age decided she was never  wearing maching socks.  It has worked well for us.

My daughter made the same decision.

Same here. I already seem to have a reputation for being a bit odd/eccentric among people I know IRL so why not? That and if I'm wearing boots, usually no one will know.  And really, they don't have to match to keep the feet warm. ;)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 09:39:26 PM »
In my system, socks have only one place they belong: in the drawer of their owner's dresser.

So the strays go there, where they will eventually meet up with their mates, with no extra effort.

It's so much easier than having a sock basket to accumulate them.

They go to the drawer in the same trip as all the others. And they get matched up in the drawer.

What makes this even easier is that I don't sort socks when I'm folding--well, that's not true, but I don't -mate- them--I just put each person's socks in a pile and stuff them in the drawer. When someone gets dressed in the morning, they rummage through to find a pair.

I make it even easier by buying each person many pairs of the same socks. Only one brand of black dress socks, of tan dress socks, of white sweatsocks. So if you lose have of pair A and half of pair B, you still have a pair. Helps when they rip too.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 09:56:00 PM »
I was browsing in a Dollar Gemeral Store recently. They had just gotten a shipment of "MixEms", which were 12 socks for $5. The funny part of it was that none of the socks matched.

I liked the color combinations, but like wearing matching socks so I bought 2 packages of MixEms so that I could have 12 pairs of socks that both socks of each pair match.