News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 30, 2015, 06:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Out of this world present  (Read 1132 times)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
Out of this world present
« on: January 08, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
As I have mentioned in previous postings, my mother who is almost 90 lives in a nursing home.  All her marbles are present and fully functional, but the body is getting frail.  Her response when asked about what she would like for a present is "unless it is out of this world, just good wishes will do".  Having down sized several times in recent years, and now living in one room, there simply is no space for any thing else. 

My Niece returning to NZ after several years overseas gave her the most wonderful 'out of this world" present for Christmas.
Two acres on the moon.  I am not sure if it a guaranteed title but Mother is not going to be visiting it any time soon.

To use a bad pun, she is over the moon about it.  It is proudly shown to all visitors and rest home workers, and it helps that we have a full moon at present and she points at it and says loudly (so those with hearing aids can hear too) 'I own that.'

Anybody else get or give exactly the right present

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: Out of this world present
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »
Oh, that's lovely!

My DH made a tiny Christmas ornament out of the cover and first chapter of my novel. It's so cunning and wee and a lovely memento of the year.
                www.ellenseltz.com

purple

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »
You can name a star after her.  They send a nice certificate and co-ordinates if you want to look at the star through a telescope.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
We have promised her one for her 90th which is in 2017.  She wants a pulsar if at all possible so that we can listen to her after she dies. "dropping pearls of wisdom across the Milky Way".

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
Oh wow, that's so cool! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

staceym

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
You can name a star after her.  They send a nice certificate and co-ordinates if you want to look at the star through a telescope.

The second Christmas after my brother passed away, I did that for my mother.  She still wasn't into Christmas and didn't want anything. 

I love buying acres on the moon, have too look into that  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »
We have a lot of things, and not much space for more, so DH got me two books that are in my interests and two years ago, got my a small handmade pottery dish that has ground glass in the middle. It is like looking at stars. I love it.

Wintergreen

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »
How nice gifts for her :) Awesome that she was thrilled.

One less otherworldy gift for such situation might be E-reader, if she is the reading type. Not exactly out of this world, but full of other worlds. (And does not take the space what set of real books would, often weights less than hardcover and font size scales if that is a problem.)

z_squared82

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
My SIL loves cake decorating. Loves. Loves. Not kidding. She’d do it professionally if she could afford to go back to school for it.

And I love shopping at the Friends of the Library sale because I prefer to buy used books.

Christmas 2012 I found for SIL a cake decorating book from either the late ‘70s or early ‘80s. She had just tried to recreate my aunt and uncle’s wedding cake for their anniversary and this book described a lot of the piping techniques. So I thought it might be handy. It also had some more whimsical designs.

Like clowns.

Clowns that looked like they were melting as they crawled across the cake.

It was awful.

It was hilarious.

It was both functional and a fantastic conversation piece. She broke it out at a cake decorating party and she and her friends laughed for it for hours.

(I didn’t top it this year, but gosh darnit, I’m going to keep trying.)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »

DH did this for me one birthday. It's awesome. My kids brag about it. lol

gmatoy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
My SIL loves cake decorating. Loves. Loves. Not kidding. She’d do it professionally if she could afford to go back to school for it.

And I love shopping at the Friends of the Library sale because I prefer to buy used books.

Christmas 2012 I found for SIL a cake decorating book from either the late ‘70s or early ‘80s. She had just tried to recreate my aunt and uncle’s wedding cake for their anniversary and this book described a lot of the piping techniques. So I thought it might be handy. It also had some more whimsical designs.

Like clowns.

Clowns that looked like they were melting as they crawled across the cake.

It was awful.

It was hilarious.

It was both functional and a fantastic conversation piece. She broke it out at a cake decorating party and she and her friends laughed for it for hours.

(I didn’t top it this year, but gosh darnit, I’m going to keep trying.)

Was it a Wilton cake decorating book? I have Wilton year books going back quite a ways and it is interesting to look through them and see how things have changed. (I may have a few extras...PM me if interested.)

purple

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »

The second Christmas after my brother passed away, I did that for my mother.  She still wasn't into Christmas and didn't want anything. 

I love buying acres on the moon, have too look into that  ;D

I think all the blocks around me are taken, but there's pretty good views from any block :).

I did hear a rumour, actually that they were thinking of starting to sell blocks somewhere else - Mars maybe?  I'm going to have a look now, actually, this all just reminded me!

Cuddlepie

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
My mum had a stroke in September 2014.  The after effect was terrible dementia and not eating.  By Christmas things were not good - what do you buy a person who will not be around for long and is confused and the best of times?  Amongst a few things I bought her was a beautiful calendar which I thought mum would love.   No .... it was frisbeed across the table, nearly decapitating the flowers.  I asked mum what she would like for a present, her reply, "when YOU know, then you tell me!" 

That is one hard request. 

OP I wish you well and good wishes for thinking of the perfect present.