News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 26, 2017, 02:43:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 3339815 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #21195 on: June 15, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
I was at a Community College graduation a couple of weeks ago and I saved the program since there were some names that I thought were a bit unusual.

Acxel
Everlydi
Gadiel
Jhon
Jhonier *

* No, there was no Jhoniest :-).

Nuku

« Reply #21196 on: June 16, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
I was at a Community College graduation a couple of weeks ago and I saved the program since there were some names that I thought were a bit unusual.

Acxel
Everlydi
Gadiel
Jhon
Jhonier *

Jhon is a version of "John" that's found in Spanish-speaking countries. I think it might be a way to indicate how the "J" should be pronounced.
Gadiel is the name of an archangel.

I got nothing for the others...

Lindenharp

« Reply #21197 on: June 17, 2017, 12:22:20 AM »

Acxel
Everlydi
Gadiel
Jhon
Jhonier *

Various websites say that Gadiel is the name of an angel in Jewish and Christian mystical traditions.

Barney girl

« Reply #21198 on: June 17, 2017, 03:38:28 AM »
Long, long ago I worked with a woman named Marcia. It was on the nameplate on her desk. Except, of course, it was pronounced "Mar-see-ya." She would get annoyed when clients came in and called her "Marsha."  ::)

It wouldn't occur to me to call her 'Marsha' - I've never heard Marcia pronounced that way.  Put me down as a Mar-see-ya.

UK here: My BF is Marcia, pronounced Marsha, and she gets cross at the Mar-see-ya pronunciation. You can't win!

It's of the same family as Alicia and Felicia - Aleesha and Feleesha, here, although none of these names are common.

Not always Starry; my bit of the UK would say A-liss-see-ya and Fel-iss-see-ya.

UK too - have only ever heard Mar-see-ya, Al-iss-see-ya and Fel-iss-see-ya. I always think of the other as the American pronunciation...

LoL! That'll larn me to assume!

Maybe it's regional? My friend Marcia (Marsha) is from a solidly English Devon family. I'm from Durham, and went to school with an Alicia (Aleesha), who I'm pretty sure didn't have anything other than British ancestry, and I went to school so long ago, it was before US TV was very prevalent over here.

Love that there are these variations!

I'm from County Durham and would say Alicia, as though it's Alice with an a at the end, but I have to say that the only one I knew was an elderly lady.

I think some pronunciations change. Irene used to be Irenee and Maria had the i pronounced as i not ee. My own name is one which is Scottish and rarely pronounced correctly in England, but I've begun to notice that younger Scots go with the mispronounced version.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #21199 on: June 20, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
Erica spells her name Yerika
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #21200 on: June 21, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
Tearnia
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

vintagegal

« Reply #21201 on: Yesterday at 06:43:34 AM »
Acquanetta

bridalviolet

« Reply #21202 on: Yesterday at 08:40:44 AM »
Acquanetta

Like...the hair spray??!!

GreenHall

« Reply #21203 on: Yesterday at 11:44:36 AM »
I do not keep up with the Kardashians, but I do peruse tabloid headlines in the checkout.

Apparently there is a child named 'Reign'.  Rain would be almost normal these days.  Reign is just a bit much for me.