News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 07, 2016, 09:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O I don't want to carry a purse!  (Read 1143 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: S/O I don't want to carry a purse!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »
I would just get a small carry on suitcase on wheels.  They're neat and sophisticated looking,  inexpensive ,  lightweight,  easy to handle even on subways and you can fit everything you need in them.

I agree, if you anchor it between your knees, it's really no problem.

POD. When I rode the subway and had a bag (like a small suitcase) whether I was seated or standing, I did not set it to one side. I kept it between my legs and hugged it with my legs. That made it a less likely target for thieves.

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 06:45:34 AM »
In your situation, I would use a messenger bag for everything but clothing and personal items and a backpack for those. That way you don't have to drag anything behind you, which can be a major issue in crowds.

anniehawks

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
This bag is kind of pricey, but I love it.  When I travel I can fit a 17" laptop, camera, change of clothes, and toiletries for overnight travel:   http://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Moore-Libby-Bag-Grey/dp/B004UO0ZZC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51jGlciwabL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0VZDX523KAYMKYFTRW69 

It looks professional enough that I don't take a purse or a brief case when I take this.

It has dividers that you can arrange to suit your needs.  There is a removable shoulder strap.  It also comes in a variety of colors, though mine is gray, I'm not very adventurous.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:34:25 AM by anniehawks »

glacio

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 01:21:29 PM »
Thanks again every one for the great suggestions. I'm really going to look for something that can be carried or rolled a few different ways to try to account for all the different uses I would need for it.

Confession time. I had a revelation last night that winter clothes take up more room. In my defense, I've been in the south for many years and have only gone north during non-snowy periods. So I will be bringing the small suitcase next week and just dealing with it. The search for the perfect bag will continue because it will be needed, but it's no longer quite as pressing. Any help is still appreciated.

Thanks!

NFPwife

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
Thanks again every one for the great suggestions. I'm really going to look for something that can be carried or rolled a few different ways to try to account for all the different uses I would need for it.

Confession time. I had a revelation last night that winter clothes take up more room. In my defense, I've been in the south for many years and have only gone north during non-snowy periods. So I will be bringing the small suitcase next week and just dealing with it. The search for the perfect bag will continue because it will be needed, but it's no longer quite as pressing. Any help is still appreciated.

Thanks!

You might want to stop into Uniqlo while you're in the city. Their Heattech is awesome. I think they've expanded beyond the SoHo location.