Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 153096 times)

carol1412

Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1125 on: October 20, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »

The Langoliers. As with many Stephen King stories, great book - less than stellar movie adaptation.

Just not a book you want to be reading on an airplane!  :o  DH made that mistake when it first came out.  Brand new SK book to take on business trip going cross country to Boston... Yikes!

Yikes indeed! Especially if he was flying the red-eye!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1126 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »

The Langoliers. As with many Stephen King stories, great book - less than stellar movie adaptation.

Just not a book you want to be reading on an airplane!  :o  DH made that mistake when it first came out.  Brand new SK book to take on business trip going cross country to Boston... Yikes!

Yikes indeed! Especially if he was flying the red-eye!

I can think of a number of apocalyptic novels that aren't great ideas to read on airplanes, either.  Airplanes seem to be particularly vulnerable to end-of-world events because of the dependency on the pilot, whether he gets raptured or whether all electronics in the world stop working and the plane plummets... etc.

Lillybet

Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1127 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »
My grandad used to knit in WW2. Apparently when he came home after the war he used to wear this old jumper that was army green with an occasional random line of red or blue. My mum asked once and it turned out he had knitted it while he was a POW in a German camp. He said that the Red Cross packages always contained too many socks when what he wanted was a jumper. So he unravelled the socks and knitted himself one. Apparently he credited it with saving his life during the very cold German winters and so it was one of the few reminders of the war he kept around (along with a love of cabbage and thick, seeded bread...go figure).

My CKIA is a friend who not only argues with my DH about the chemical composition of things (DH has a degree in chemistry, CKIA has not) but when I fell pregnant after his DW he told me that he wasn't surprised as he knew we would start trying as soon as they fell pregnant  :o  and then told me all the things I would currently be experiencing. After both our babies arrived he has also taken it upon himself to RSVP for us to events as he has proudly told other friends that our baby isn't that portable and we wouldn't want to take him out to events (despite the fact we haven't talked to CKIA in months). Luckily we have friends who ask us and expect us to reply (rather than taking CKIA's view) and so we go out to lots of things with Little Bet in tow.

Minmom3

Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1128 on: October 21, 2014, 12:55:34 AM »
During the late 40's and early 50's my mother knew quite a few men who knitted while their legs, broken during skiing, were in traction in the hospital.  Knitting a complicated sweater (and I saw a few of those sweaters!) was a good way to pass the weeks waiting for your leg to be well enough healed to leave hospital.  Nothing unmanly was ever impugned about them...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....