News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 29, 2015, 04:45:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: gift that can be added to each year?  (Read 915 times)

Re: gift that can be added to each year?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »
I like the train idea best. Money for the boy, or practical things only, and jewelry for the girl is probably going to land you in trouble one day.

Hopefully, about 5 minutes after the gift is given.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
Aren't there gold/silver chains on which extra links can be added? That would be a nice gift, similar to what the sister has.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
This is a toughie!

One thought I had was a coin collection with a nice holder in which a coin or bill minted that year can be added, but I'm not sure whether these exist. It would be easy enough to get the coin for each year, but I haven't been successful in finding an appropriate coin holder.

Not a coin/stamp/etc. collector myself, so maybe I'm wrong, but isn't most of the fun of collecting stuff like that in building one's own collection? I'm not sure that having a collection built for him would be very appealing to most kids (and of course you don't know his preferences yet).

If you want to do a collection, I'd aim for something he can play with/use (like the girl's necklace) rather than something merely to be looked at or displayed. For example, a nice model train or a collection of model cars could be expanded piece by piece and be fun to display as a collection, but he could also play with them when he's old enough. I think a toolbox with a tool added each occasion so he's got a good set of basic tools by the time he leaves home would be good for either a girl or a boy*. I'm not sure how much you're spending on each occasion for single pearls, so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be.

*Although, since you've already started, giving the boy a practical toolkit while his sister got a necklace might have some unfortunate implications. If you planned to, e.g., give a larger gift at 18/when they leave home, I might consider making that a basic toolkit for the girl and something like a nice watch for the boy. Then, each would have gotten both a practical and an ornamental, wearable item.

I do like the tool kit idea especially with Onyx_TKDs bold suggestion above.

Another thought is supplies for when he moves out. A set of dishes one year. A set of glasses, a good pot/pan set, an iron, a sewing kit, etc. (although storage for this type of gift might become problematic. :-\)

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »
When my godson was born, I bought him the Holy Family for a Nativity set.  His 1st Christmas, I bought him the Manager.  Every Christmas after, I add a person to the set.  I actually bought the wise men together and gave him one a year. Fontinini makes a resin set that is child-friendly but makes a great collectible.