News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 25, 2016, 01:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O The Big Gift Idea thread - Unusual gifts you've given/received  (Read 1767 times)

sbagirl

Re: S/O The Big Gift Idea thread - Unusual gifts you've given/received
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Our favorite gift ever was a year's lease on a chicken that we received as a wedding gift.

We got married at a colonial festival and one of our friends found a place where you could "lease" an animal for a year.  You didn't get the animal, of course, but what we got was quite amusing.  Over the course of the next year, we received the following:

1.  An 8x10 photo of "our" chicken (captioned "this is my chicken") (my DH hung this up at work)
2.  A letter introducing our chicken, whose name was Harriet
3.  A quarterly newsletter from the farm owner telling us what was going on, what the chickens and other animals were doing, etc.
4.  A small bag containing an ounce or so of feed to show us what that our chicken was eating
5.  A mug with a photo of our chicken (again, captioned "this is my chicken")
6.  The final item -- a bag of egg noodles

We still have the photo and mug and think fondly of Harriet when we see them.  ;D

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
Less touching, but...
Friend salts everything, and I had more than once caught her just eating salt. (She does have low blood pressure and so that may be part of it, but she does genuinely enjoy the taste as well.)

I found a pink Himalayan salt plank in a discount store, meant for cooking things on, and immediately thought, "Oh, a salt lick for Friend!"

So I bought it, took it home, and wrapped it up, and then began to fret that perhaps it was actually a bit mean-spirited. I was all ready to apologize by the time she unwrapped it.

She got it immediately, and it still lives pride of place in the house. And yes, I have caught her licking it every now and then.

Love it!   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

cattlekid

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »
My grandmother is a quilter.  For her 50th wedding anniversary, I made a quilt top that had a square for each member of the family to sign (children, grandchildren and great-grands, spouses could sign their family member's square).  Because there were 10 children plus all the grands and great grands, it was a queen-sized quilt.  I had never quilted before and that was plenty for me to realize I'm a better knitter/crocheter than I am a quilter. 

Grandma just turned 90 and I crocheted a lap blanket for her and her dog.   ;D

Take2

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 03:15:42 PM »
When I first got married, a co-worker gave us the coolest gift. She had the hotel we stayed in the first night bring us hot hors d'euvres and fruit and other munchies when we got there after our brunch wedding. She told us that she usually always gave breakfast in bed the next day as a wedding gift, but she knew we were leaving for our honeymoon at 5:30 am. It was an awesome gift, so sweet and unexpected. We gave the same gift to several friends over the years.

Oh Joy

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
Aunt Alice volunteered with the local library, which entitled her to a basic Friends of the Library Membership. We discovered that higher levels of membership came with all sorts of perks, like free admission to lectures, special events, city tours, and more, plus discounts for the gift shop and book sales. Our gift was an upgraded membership.

I love that idea.  When I've had "reader" friends move away,  I've gifted them supporting memberships to their new library system.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
My friend Wilma is owl-obsessed. 

A couple of years ago for Christmas I had a beautiful owl photograph blown up onto a canvas for her.  She loved it.  Several times she'd tried to get the original from me, but I'd held out, so she was really happy to get the big version. 

Last Christmas I ordered a set of champagne flutes for her from a gallery in my home town, engraved with owls.  Each one is different.  She absolutely adores them.

Her comment after that was 'I wonder how you're going to outdo that one next year!'  So now I have a challenge...

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

dawnfire

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 08:22:25 PM »
My grandmother is a quilter.  For her 50th wedding anniversary, I made a quilt top that had a square for each member of the family to sign (children, grandchildren and great-grands, spouses could sign their family member's square).  Because there were 10 children plus all the grands and great grands, it was a queen-sized quilt.  I had never quilted before and that was plenty for me to realize I'm a better knitter/crocheter than I am a quilter. 

Grandma just turned 90 and I crocheted a lap blanket for her and her dog.   ;D

my mother-in-law did something similar for her mother (grand mother in law to me). apparently there's fabric that you can print on. She printed photographs of her grand mother in law grand kids and great grand kids and turned it into a patchwork quilt for her.
Whittlesea Victoria

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »

A couple of years ago for Christmas I had a beautiful owl photograph blown up onto a canvas for her.  She loved it.  Several times she'd tried to get the original from me, but I'd held out, so she was really happy to get the big version. 

Last Christmas I ordered a set of champagne flutes for her from a gallery in my home town, engraved with owls.  Each one is different.  She absolutely adores them.

Her comment after that was 'I wonder how you're going to outdo that one next year!'  So now I have a challenge...

Find a wine with an owl on the label to send her?  Or a cheese tray with a glass cover to match the champagne flutes?  Or a wine cooler...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/caged-owl-maxemo-lacrone.html

I think the metal prints look rather interesting. Also, the artist is a super great guy.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

gmatoy

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 01:17:55 AM »
For my DH: I had a picture of DGD taken on a carousel at our local zoo. I also took a picture of our adult daughter on the carousel at the zoo in Chicago, where she lived at the time. I had them matted and framed together. He loved it. 

For me from our son: He found a picture of me with my late brother, standing on the porch of our grandmother's house. Less than 3 years after the picture was taken, my brother died. DS took the picture, had it enlarged, matted and framed. Made me cry.

DD made a copy of the best picture ever taken of DH and I before we were married, framed it with a very cool frame. DH likes that picture even more than our wedding pictures.

Wow! I guess we like pictures!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 05:45:18 AM »
When I first got married, a co-worker gave us the coolest gift. She had the hotel we stayed in the first night bring us hot hors d'euvres and fruit and other munchies when we got there after our brunch wedding. She told us that she usually always gave breakfast in bed the next day as a wedding gift, but she knew we were leaving for our honeymoon at 5:30 am. It was an awesome gift, so sweet and unexpected. We gave the same gift to several friends over the years.

This is an awesome idea.  I'll have to keep it in mind!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

knitwicca

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
I try to give "events" to my grandsons for their birthdays and Christmas.

For the past 2 years Christmas has been half the cost of the entire family's annual passes to Disney. Each of the boys also got a Disney-themed $50 VISA card for extras of their own choosing.

I have also taken the older one indoor skydiving (I had as much fun as he did), got him rides in a helicopter as well as a couple of different fixed-wing aircraft.

(BG: I have been a knitter since childhood.  DD decided to learn 8 years ago)
Three years ago my DD knitted her first pair of socks. They were her Christmas gift to me.  Believe me...I wear them proudly!