News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 17, 2017, 10:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 687058 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2880 on: March 03, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
I am starting to wonder if I have a visitor right now. A couple of nights ago I heard a loud crashing sound in an other part of my small house. I was the only one at home and both cats were in the living room with me. I looked all over and couldn't find the source of the noise. I didn't think too much of it until just a few minutes ago.

Again, I am home alone. Both cats are with me. I heard a crashing noise coming from the dining room. I ran in there and turned on the light. I found a medium sized fake plant that I keep in there on it's side. It's a rectangular box with a variety of fake plants in it. It's been in that spot for a couple of months. There is no reason it would have fallen over. There is no ceiling fan in that room. The AC was not running. It's on a stand on the opposite wall so we almost never walk past it. Sooo....hm. That's a head scratcher.

It might not be relevant, but it so happens that we are attending the wake of a friend who died about three weeks ago on Sunday. Coincidence? Probably. But still something to think about. Also, my mother died almost two years ago. I've had visitations from other people who've died, but never her.

Wonder if anything else will happen.  :) I kinda hope so.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Alboury

• Evil Iggy
  • Nemo me impune definit.
« Reply #2881 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
I recently came back south from Kainuu, the southernmost region of North Finland, and during my stay there, I often pondered upon the legend of the Manamansalo glutton. It's typically not told which family the glutton belonged to, but I know full well, like everyone around there, that it was a certain family of which a cousin of mine is the last (unless she forces her boyfriend take her surname if they marry, and I trust she does). Let's call the family by the name Whatnot here. It's good tale anyhow, so it's worth sharing here.

The year was around 1710, at the beginning of the Great Northern War. Finland was part of Sweden back then, and it was not long since that Count Pehr Brahe had command over the Kainuu region - where the Manamansalo island and the Kajaani Castle are located - and made all of the north bloom. In Manamansalo, there lived this prosperous and strong and great big man, then head of the Manamansalo Whatnots. He owned land both sides of the Oulujärvi lake, and had a reputation of being a generous man after seeing hunger and cold in previous wars as a gunner - but he also had a reputation of being the heaviest eater the world had seen. In harvest feasts, during Christmas and at all festive times, he had two pigs slaughtered for each of his houses for the servants to eat, and one entirely for himself so nobody starved. Each house got four casks of beer and the glutton one for himself, and so on. A mighty heavy eater, but he also never let his workers go hungry.

So, the news had come about in Manamansalo that a war was coming again, and Russia with all her strength going to crush Sweden. Naturally, the great Whatnot had heard of this and knew they'd come to recruit him again, since he was an accomplished gunner and a civilized man who could read and write and do maths. So on the day when a servant rushed into the house and said a crown's boat was approaching from the direction of Kajaani Castle, the man had a plan. Back in those days, it was the law that in the middle of a meal, no man was to be bothered with anything; be it recruiting, paying taxes, going to court, anything. If officials found a person having a meal, they had to wait until the person had finished. This was well in the knowledge of the glutton, too.

When he heard that the boat was coming, he told his servants to instantly bring a loaf of bread and a tankard of beer on the table, and start preparing other foods. When the knight came ashore and reached the house, he met the glutton having a meal and thus had no option but to sit with him. The glutton invited him in to join him for the supper, and he sat on the opposite side of him, and there they discussed the terms of the glutton's recruiting. They say they ate 12 hours, without rising from the table, and had seven or eight different dishes and nearly a cask of beer - as a gentleman, the knight could not refuse what was offered, and the glutton had his servants make sure that the knight ate as much as him. When the glutton noticed that the knight was certainly feeling ill, he finished his meal and suddenly jumped up from his bench, shouting it was time for a dessert drink. Naturally, the recruiting knight jumped right up since the time had come to recruit...

The glutton walked to his liquor cabin, took out two glasses and filled them with bright liquor (kind of like vodka, but not exactly the same), and when he came back, the knight sat on his bench, trembling and vomiting and half-paralyzed. Heart attack, probably, from eating himself too full and then suddenly jumping up. The glutton waited until the knight stopped moving and sat, in his armour, dead as a stone. He took those two glasses of liquor and offered one to the dead knight, and when he got no reply, he screamed "I will not fight a war along such what can't take booze!" and poured one glass down the dead knight's throat. Then he mockingly toasted to the king and to the commander of the Kajaani Castle, drank, and went to sleep on his bench by the table.

They say it was three days that the glutton slept, and nobody dared bother him nor remove the corpse of the knight. When the glutton awoke, he took the knight, armour and boots and everything, on his shoulders and tossed the body into the lake (which is actually called Whatnot's Lake). After his death, they say that every anniversary of him throwing the dead knight in the water, his ghost appears. He walks on the dock where it used to be, half a metre over present-day surface, holding two glasses and roaring "I will not fight a war along such what can't take booze!" Christians say he was left to haunt because he taunted a corpse. Patriots say it was because he refused to fight for his country (which wasn't his anyway - no Finn ever enjoyed fighting Sweden's wars). But all the good people of Kainuu who know the tale, they think the glutton was punished for wasting good booze on a dead man!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:30:03 AM by Alboury »
Row, row, row thy boat gently down the stream.
Oh Charon, hast thou ever know'd that Death is but a dream?"

Reika

« Reply #2882 on: July 01, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
I love that story, Alboury. :)

BarensMom

« Reply #2883 on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:44 AM »
If I become a ghost, I want that kind of story!

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2884 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »

Today's weirdness, brought to you courtesy of SonIL#1 (Elfqueen's husband).  Background: SIL has more-or-less monochromatic colorblindness brought on by a car accident as a toddler. He can still see some shades of blue, and he still dreams in color. He can also See ghosts.  When he Sees them, they appear in color, I'm guessing because he's not seeing them with his physical eyes.

DD1 called me a few minutes ago.  He Saw a woman in her early 20's, wearing a 1940's hairstyle.  She said her name was Dottie and told him that I should get my hearing checked.  Also, that I should put two layers of batting behind the big star when I go to quilt it.

The only Dottie I ever knew was my late MIL.  She would have been a teen in the 1940's. I DO have a quilt top with a large star in the middle that still needs quilting; neither DD nor SIL knew about it. 

But why would my MIL come back to tell me to get my hearing checked?  It seems fine to me.  DH, on the other hand... maybe that's why, so that I'll agitate him to go as well?  Or maybe my shields are tight enough that I can no longer Hear her?  (I used to, but haven't for some months.  We did not have a good relationship.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~