News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 27, 2016, 11:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1508698 times)

Carotte

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #11310 on: May 09, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »
Those click-bait articles that spread the story across 6 pages instead of just one, why do they do that? Is that so they can sell 6 times the advertising spaces on their website and to boost the total page views?

Don't you love it when you answer your own question? :)

I was pretty sure that was the answer, but I wasn't sure how advertising works on websites. So the more views you have, the more you can charge, so they deliberately spread the article across multiple pages to make it seem like they have more traffic, thus getting more money.

You can sometimes bypass this if there is a 'print this article'/view in printer friendly format' or something like that, everything will be on the same page.
Not sure how often you get this option still tho  :-\

wheeitsme

« Reply #11311 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »
Is the term "to neuter" specific to male animals only? Something someone posted recently made me wonder if maybe there are regional differences around this.

I always thought it could apply to either male or female animal. To me, it's interchangeable with fixed, e.g., Sam took the dogs, Romeo and Juliet, in to get them fixed/neutered.

Spay seems female specific. Can't think of a male only term that is commonly used - castrated would be correct but not something I'd hear (maybe for cattle) and gelded only seems to get used for horses.

Neuter means "without gender".  It can be used for any de-sexed animal.  Females are spayed, males are castrated, and in doing so, both have been neutered.  ;)

Lindenharp

« Reply #11312 on: May 14, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
What does "flying monkeys" mean on Ehell?  I know the "Wizard of Oz" creatures, and here it seems to refer to cruel/rude/attacking people, but there seems to be a more specific meaning that I'm not picking up.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11313 on: May 14, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »
Urban Dictionary has a good definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flying%20monkeys

In popular psychology, a flying monkey is someone who does the narcissistís bidding to inflict additional torment to the narcissist's victim.

It might consists of spying on the victim, spreading gossip, threatening, painting the narcissist as the victim and their target as the perpetrator.

Despite this, the narcissist does not hesitate to make flying monkeys their scapegoats when and if needed.

Lindenharp

« Reply #11314 on: May 14, 2016, 10:18:48 AM »
Urban Dictionary has a good definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flying%20monkeys

Thanks!  I didn't realize that it was used outside of Ehell.

oogyda

« Reply #11315 on: May 14, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »

In popular psychology, a flying monkey is someone who does the narcissistís bidding to inflict additional torment to the narcissist's victim.

It might consists of spying on the victim, spreading gossip, threatening, painting the narcissist as the victim and their target as the perpetrator.

Despite this, the narcissist does not hesitate to make flying monkeys their scapegoats when and if needed.

I believe it can also mean someone who, knowingly or unknowingly, is manipulated into getting the "witch" what she wants without having to be the bad guy by asking directly for what she wants or by nagging the person for what she wants.

My name is Oogyda, and I am a recovering "Flying Monkey".

As an example....When Oldest Niece got married, MIL did not get photos.  After several months, she mentioned to DH and I how upset she was about that.  Of course, she had mentioned it to BIL, but (oh, poor me {cue Eeyore voice}) he must have forgotten.  Being the thoughtful DIL that I am, I of course dropped a bug in ON's ear that MIL was upset and would really like some photos.  They arrived within the week. 

That's one of many examples with MIL in particular.  I've long since given up my wings and my life is better for it.   But, I did not do any of the bolded actions. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11316 on: May 25, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »
For the home school parents, if you home schooled K-12, what did your child need besides SAT/ACT scores to get into college?

I know several families that home school and all were in a educational Co-op but one. That one did everything on her own with her daughter and is having issues with proving what her daughter did, since she did not keep good records.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

raininshadows

« Reply #11317 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
For the home school parents, if you home schooled K-12, what did your child need besides SAT/ACT scores to get into college?

I know several families that home school and all were in a educational Co-op but one. That one did everything on her own with her daughter and is having issues with proving what her daughter did, since she did not keep good records.

Well, technically, they don't need anything. There are schools that will accept students based on their standardized test scores and grades given by the parents alone.

If you're not part of a co-op, you can take community college classes, whether for high school credit or as the first part of college. The vast majority of four-year schools will accept community college classes. If that's not an option, you can take some sort of outside classes from a reputable source. There's online classes for everything these days. If even that's not an option, you keep really good records so you can show the colleges your kid's geometry final or their English essays or whatever, and you deal with the fact that that'll restrict your options somewhat. From what I've heard, liberal arts schools are the best at handling very non-standard applications like that.

I'm sure the rules on homeschooling in Florida are very different than the ones here (they vary heavily by state), so I can't really provide any other advice. Your acquaintance should probably find someone from Florida who's been through this before.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11318 on: May 25, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
Thank you!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11319 on: May 25, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »

Send her over to my school.  ;) I'm fairly certain there were options for non-traditional students. Do you know if she earned a regular diploma from the county she lives in?

She may have to take the entrance exams, but that's not so bad.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

wheeitsme

« Reply #11320 on: Yesterday at 11:22:23 AM »

Here's the Florida info:  http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=1000-1099/1007/Sections/1007.263.html

mumma to KMC

« Reply #11321 on: Yesterday at 11:53:56 AM »

My kids are still young, but I'm looking to the future and asked my friend what she did as she was "first generation" K-12 homeschooled. She said that her mom made a diploma and she submitted her act/sat scores. She was accepted to a Big 10 school.

(I say first generation as she was born in the early 80s and never went to conventional school. There weren't many boxed programs or state k12 programs at that point.)