News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 20, 2017, 05:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Signs that you're Bob Cratchet working for Scrooge and Marley...  (Read 10131 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Signs that you're Bob Cratchet working for Scrooge and Marley...
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
The company a friend worked for was trying to decide whether or not to fire him because he didn't fly from Boston to Dallas Fort Worth on September 12 2001.

Unless he's Superman, they had no case.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Oh, I have one!

I used to work for a large state government organization, with dozens-maybe even more than 100-buildings and locations throughout my area. One employees sole job was to review and audit bills, to ensure that we weren't paying for things that we shouldn't be...like phones that had been disconnected, equipment rentals that had been returned, that sort of thing. She saved the organization several times her salary every year.

So...care to guess what happened? Yup. Cutbacks. So they did the most intelligent thing they could and eliminated her job and put in an admin assistant role instead.

That one should probably go in the brain hurt thread, too.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2017, 05:08:52 AM »
Paid weekly.  Two people had to sign the paychecks, Big Boss and simpering assistant, otherwise the bank will not take them.

Big Boss goes on a two-week vacation and forgets to designate a replacement signatory for Big Boss.  Big Boss gets back and simpering assistant goes on a two week vacation and they forget a second signatory for him.  Finally everyone gets back from vacation and we get the full months pay that we haven't had and the checks bounce at the bank.

It was the second company to do something like that

Crochet Addict

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
My second job out of high school was a bagger at a grocery store. Let's call it Big Bird.  ;) Big Bird's policy was that anything that broke on the checkout belts that could be used by bakery was to be taken back to bakery.  :o So, if your bag of flour or sugar broke, or the cashier noticed a broken egg in your carton, I'd have to clean off the conveyer belt, dump whatever into a bag, and take it to the bakery (customers didn't know this, we were told in training to do so and could actually get fired if we didn't). If a customer's milk leaked and we didn't catch it, we'd be fired. If we didn't double bag something and the bag broke, we'd get fired. We'd also get written up for using too many bags. They also changed the labels on meat- we'd get a meat delivery on set days of the week, and one day I noticed that the date on a customer's package was not a delivery date and the beef was a very unusual, dangerous looking color. I told the customer it didn't look right and offered to fetch a new one. That got me pulled in for a chat with the manager. I quit shortly after that, partly out of disgust ad partly out of fear of getting fired. My mom orders cakes from their bakery all the time for special occasions, even though I told her that they're basically made out of garbage. Then she wonders why I ask for the smallest piece possible and smush it around to make it look like I ate it.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
Ah, food! It just reminded me of this story.

I knew someone who worked in the What Went Wrong department of a major food processing company. WWW investigated problems like exploding cans, horrible off-tastes, or products that turned weird colors.

Let's say that one of the company's products was Peter Piper's Pecks of Pickled Peppers. My friend told me that WWW had figured out the manager turnover in the Peter Piper division. Almost exactly at 2-year intervals, WWW would be asked to figure out why the peppers were now turning black and slimy. Sure enough, a new manager had discovered that the pickling recipe called for a small amount of X. There  did not seem to be any reason for including X, so the manager figured that a perfect way to look good with management was to cut costs by eliminating X. Alas, X was critical in preventing peppers from becoming black and slimy.

WWW was never able to figure out why this bit of wisdom was not imparted to incoming Peter Piper managers.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data