News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 27, 2015, 12:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Little House books S/O thread  (Read 20652 times)

glinda

Re: Little House books S/O thread
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
I pre-ordered through Book Depository and they cancelled my order and refunded the money  :(

The South Dakota Historical Society is showing that they have 44 copies of the book in stock.  That's where I ordered mine from.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
Waiting for the Kindle version.

I don't know about this since the book is published by a small company. Though I have no clue what's involved in making an e-book, so what do I know? :P It is the size of a coffee table book (quite hefty!) with more footnotes than actual text.

I used to do freelance editing for a major ebook company. They made ebooks for a huge range of publishers of print books, from very small presses to household names, plus e-only and self-published works, all with a staff of around 10 people. It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility, and it's not crazy expensive for a small press to contract out just one title to an ebook developer.

After finishing (absolutely gorged on the book and already returned it!), I have to say I think Pioneer Girl would translate phenomenally well to an electronic format.  If they're able to code hyperlinks to the footnotes and photographs, navigating those would be so much easier than the way I had to keep either flipping back and forth between pages or maintaining a vigilance about how far I'd gone with main text versus footnotes physically.  And I'm someone who prefers paper to electronic for almost anything.

JadeGirl

« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »
I pre-ordered through Book Depository and they cancelled my order and refunded the money  :(

The South Dakota Historical Society is showing that they have 44 copies of the book in stock.  That's where I ordered mine from.

I don't think they ship internationally.  The last time I looked, the easiest way was Amazon or Book Depository.

Redsoil

« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2015, 12:24:04 AM »
Yes, it can be a bit tricky (not to mention freakishly expensive!) getting books to Australia.  One of the many reasons I love my Kindle so much!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Bethczar

« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
Cabbageweevel, In my opinion, the series starts off slow, but gets better as Laura gets older, so if you aren't crazy about those two, keep going. (Seriously, even my living near Pepin couldn't make Little House in the Big Woods terribly interesting. Farmer Boy is awesome, though. All that good food!)

My mom and I split the cost for Pioneer Girl, and, being a nice mother, see let me read it first. This thread reminds me that I need to send it to her!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
Cabbageweevel, In my opinion, the series starts off slow, but gets better as Laura gets older, so if you aren't crazy about those two, keep going. (Seriously, even my living near Pepin couldn't make Little House in the Big Woods terribly interesting. Farmer Boy is awesome, though. All that good food!)
Well, they are children's books.  My daughters loved them.  I started reading them aloud when DD1 was 3 and her sister was an infant.  The later books in the series got some judicious editing, mainly when she described clothes in great detail that would have bored little ones.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bethczar

« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
Well, they are children's books.  My daughters loved them.  I started reading them aloud when DD1 was 3 and her sister was an infant.  The later books in the series got some judicious editing, mainly when she described clothes in great detail that would have bored little ones.
Well, yes. I guess you're right. I don't have kids, but love children's books, so I tend to forget I'm not the main audience.  ;D