Author Topic: boots  (Read 776 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: boots
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
And just a general note, it drives me crazy when people comment on how much things cost, that I have or have bought, and how they can "get it so much cheaper" Well, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Some things, sure, you can cheap out on, others not so much.

My cheap out this year was Ugg-like boots. At my retail job, I realized that even in winter, I am hot. Usually due to socks and shoes. So I'd take my socks off, and wear my shoes without. But then i'd have to put my icky socks back on to go out and home.  Noticed my one manager did the same, but she'd put her Uggs on. Hmmm. Except I can't stand them, and for what I want them for, I cannot justify the cost.

So I poked around online, and found some Sketchers, for maybe 1/4 the cost of a pair of Uggs. For what I want, they are perfect. So they now reside in my closet.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
My favourite online boot place has, unfortunately, shut down.  They sold awesome boots, with three custom calf widths.  They fit me, and I have odd feet as well - a little wide, but a very high arch.  The boots usually sold at around $AU350 but they often had special deals, and I have bought boots from them for $99.  The boots were full leather, lined, comfortable, and durable.  The older two pairs are nearly 5 years old, and I've only had one of them re-soled.  They'll still be going for years.

Good boots are an investment, not an extravagance. 

SoCalVal

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »
I have big, wide feet and quite wide calves.  A friend found a place by Covent Garden (just down the road from where I work) that make boots to your calf measurements and go up to my size for not a huge amount more than I was expecting to pay so I'll check them out on Friday.  I'll remember to ask if they can be resoled, that's a brilliant idea :)

I miss Australia where shoes regularly went up to my size, I don't like wearing mens shoes.

Good luck!  I also have wide feet and wide wide calves (those knee-high boots made for "wide" calves won't fit me).  I spent many a sad and fruitless year trying to find knee-high boots that would fit me.  I finally found Duo Boots (located in the UK) about 7-8 years ago and spend $300 (the most I'd ever spent for one pair of shoes/boots) for some black knee-high boots that laced up and pretty much lived in them for two winters (I haven't worn them in a few years because the zipper pull on one broke, along with the boot lace that I couldn't find a replacement for).  They were a fantastic purchase and well-worth the $300.  Sadly, it has to be the lace-ups (because they are adjustable -- the pull-ons still won't fit over my calves).

HGolightly

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »
I live in an extremely cold climate and very warm boots are a must.  I bought an expensive pair of sheepskin lined boots ten years ago and just replaced them with another pair.  The first pair were worth every penny and he new pair (completely waterproof) will be the same. Proper footwear has such an impact on your overall health.

Library Dragon

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
Have you tried going to a cobbler and seeing about repairing the sole? I used to get the stick-on rubber soles for leather soled shoes all the time.

This.  I do it with any shoe or boot that the upper is fine but the sole or heel needs to be replaced.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Rachel

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 05:28:01 AM »
<quote>

I finally found Duo Boots (located in the UK)

</quote>

That's exactly the shop I mean :) they're just off Covent Garden.