News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 31, 2015, 04:02:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Porta potty, motorhome toilets for campers  (Read 1417 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Porta potty, motorhome toilets for campers
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
I've also heard of using the foaming denture cleaning tablets for the bottom of vases & such where no scrub brush will reach...I assume that you might want to use more than one for a holding tank...not as cheap as vinegar, hot water, and baking soda - but similar foaming action to loosen anything that might have ended up stuck on the bottom of the holding tank.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
Not an immediate solution but would it be possible to replace it with a composting toilet in the future?  From what I understand, they have very little odour and even solids wouldn't be a problem.  You could even put food scraps in.  Most of them do require electricity, though, I think.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
Rather than worrying about the tank, how about focusing on the vent? You said it is the outside vent that smells. So can you put in a charcoal filter or some sort of air purification filter?

floridamom

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »
Back in my BC days (before children), I was a long haul truck driver w/my ex-husband.  Something I used to use in our porta potty was Odoban concentrate.  Can find it at Walmart/Sam's and Home Depot.  Very safe and effective :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
Update.

We only use our camper toilet for urine and some dishwater. Paper goes into a basket, and we do our solid toilet at other places, like the campground toilets or public restrooms.

We took all the comments into consideration and have found that in our 20 gal holding tank that we empty about every 4-5 days , even in warm weather, about 2 cups of bleach and 1/2 lb of baking soda with 1/2 gallon of water keeps it as well as any commercial stuff we've ever used. We emptied the tank, rinsed, poured a bit of baking soda into it while winterizing this fall, opened it a week ago, and it still is fine.

I don't know what this concoction will do to the seals. It's still OK after about a year.

As for the urine = ammonia then ammonia + bleach = toxic fumes, we never found that happening even from the inside of the toilet or from the air vent when we walk into the back door.

Here is a picture of our little motorhome. It has about 130,000 miles on it now and has been in the alll 48 contiguous states in 12 years. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2451849392087&set=a.1184685993794.20516.1727581292&type=3&theater This was taken at Letchworth NY state park 2 years ago. If you want to mess around on the Facebook site, I think it is all open to anyone.

Thank you for your help.

Please remember this is anecdotal results for us; not long term research.