News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2213332 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #19530 on: Today at 12:50:57 PM »
Konswella

...Is that meant to be like Consuela?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19531 on: Today at 12:58:11 PM »
Pronounced the same.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19532 on: Today at 01:08:20 PM »
Pronounced the same.

But in my mind, Consuela and Konswella are not pronounced the same! I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but that's one of my big problems with creatively-spelled names. To me it's a totally different (though admittedly similar) name--the second vowel sound is different. In Consuela it's an AY sound like in baby, while in Konswella it's an EH sound like in hello. Well, that's how I would pronounce them, anyway.

It's like the people who use Kinnadi for Kennedy. Kin and ken, like pin and pen, are totally different vowel sounds to me. Not to mention Adie vs. Eddie for the end. I do understand that some people (like my mom for instance) can't hear the difference between pin and pen, though. And, if you're considering Kinnadi for Kennedy, your number one concern is obviously not clarity, or you would spell it in the way that more people know.
~Lynn2000

mandycorn

« Reply #19533 on: Today at 03:48:56 PM »
I was reading an article about Diana Ross this weekend and discovered that she named her oldest daughter Chudney. The article suggested that it was intended to be Chutney but was misspelled on the birth certificate. This left me with two questions:

1. Chutney?! That's a food spread...
2. How hard is it really to correct a misspelling on a birth certificate?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19534 on: Today at 04:16:54 PM »
There's a character named Chutney in Legally Blond. I thought that was to make a silly movie more ridiculous by giving that name to a spoiled rich girl. Like Sharpay (shar pei) in High School Musical.

Diana Ross seems like a good mom, but that name is just wrong. Chudney is a bit better as that doesn't mean anything. YMMV.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:18:26 PM by rose red »