Author Topic: S/O Wrong name: Nicknames you Hate  (Read 2151 times)

daen

Re: S/O Wrong name: Nicknames you Hate
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
My sister enjoyed nicknaming me. I hated all but one of them, and that one didn't last long.  By the time I was in college, she had discarded all but one (Banan, short for "Banana-nose" - from the Peanuts cartoon).  At that point I had a certain exhausted tolerance for it.

She stopped entirely when she was expecting her first child. Her reasoning: I always thought it was unkind that some of our cousins called my dad by a slightly belittling nickname, so I figured I couldn't let my kids grow up calling you Auntie Banan. And she hasn't used the name since.

Other than that, all three of us sisters (and our spouses) go by the first syllables of our first names when we're in our family group. Outside of family, we usually go by full name.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: S/O Wrong name: Nicknames you Hate
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
My one aunt - my Mom's sister - always called me 'Missy'.  She was the only one I let get away with that.

My sister Melissa went by that nickname. The family still calls her that, but we're the only ones who get away with it now.

My sister Melissa was called "Sissa" by my other sister's sons when they were young.  As they got older it changed to "Melissa."  One time I wished I'd been a microbe on the wall was when Nephew #1 asked his mother, "Mom, how can Aunt Sissa and Uncle Mark be having a baby if they aren't married?"