Author Topic: Private Lesson Rates  (Read 1273 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Private Lesson Rates
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »
I would set a rate and then quote the family rate + 10% but give them a team discount so it ends up at what you want. :-)

mmswm

Re: Private Lesson Rates
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 12:49:46 AM »
Set a rate and stick with it.

Now, my rates are a bit complicated, but they're all clearly spelled out.  I charge different rates for different levels and numbers of students, with a premium if I have to drive farther than a certain distance.

My base rate for 6th grade through lower division undergrad is $60/hour for a single student.  The same age range for groups is $80 for groups up to four.  I don't teach groups greater than 4 students.  I charge $75/hour for upper division undergrad and $80/hour for graduate students and test prep.  All this assuming I don't have to drive more than 10 miles one way.  I charge an additional $5 for each ten miles after that (one way). 

There's no room for negotiation.  If you want my services, you pay what I'm asking (and I've been told I undercharge anyway...I used to charge more, but my new location doesn't seem to support my old rates, so I dropped them more in line with what I found around here). If you don't like my rates, feel free to shop for somebody cheaper.  The free market is a wonderful thing.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)