News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 08:49:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 333089 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1410 on: July 31, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
I scored a Furla bag that would have cost $400-500 brand new, on clearance at my favorite consignment shop, for... $38 including sales tax.

Ohhh nice! I may have mentioned this upthread, but I got a nice, but with a slight bit of wear, vintage black Coach bag at a local consignment shop for $29. Probably was around $300-350 back in the day. I want to refurbish it, by washing it, as I've found directions for online, and my mom did on one of her bags. And since its black, where the piping was worn and looked a bit greenish, i just covered it up with a black sharpie. Its a nice bag, and I need to get it done so I can use in the fall.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1411 on: August 01, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
I have bought a total of five Coach bags - DD has two of them (and uses the large leather tote most days - while the smaller zippered leather shoulder bag is saved for "best" - or whenever she doesn't have to bring kid supplies with her...it was found on a day I was looking for a leather "pirate booty bag for the Georgia Renaissance Festival - and the other was her Christmas present a couple of years later).  I have a large leather tote of my own (dark brown), a tan mid-size leather tote that doesn't hold "everything & the kitchen sink" so gets less use, and a smaller one with a flap that I'm saving to use "for best" or at least for travel "one of these days".   They are all good sturdy leather and will survive...or the one with the flap may end up my Renaissance Festival bag for Texas and Georgia...

Or the fabric Baggaleni small & compact crossbody that has so many compartments & is perfect for wandering around a resort (or cruise ship) with my phone, some cash, the room key, comb, and lip balm - and maybe one or two other things that I want to have handy but that will not fit into the pockets on women's pants, because they are too shallow to be secure...things "fall out of them"...constantly. 

Reminds me - my me-made Capri pants are going to have side pockets at the knee that really are large enough for my phone - and have a buttoning flap, too, so that the danged thing does not fall out...it hasn't fallen out & gotten damaged yet only because it fell out on the carpet on the ship...not on a hard surface, so I knew to carry a very small, compact crossbody instead of sticking things in my so called "pockets".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #1412 on: August 01, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »
Not really a thrift store - but - a woman at work is downsizing to move, and has brought in boxes and bags full of costume jewelry for us co-workers to pick through and take home.  I've snagged three different pair of "silver and turquoise" earrings and a necklace that matches all three, a watch, a ring, a bracelet, and some "gold" hoops.  Costume jewelry is so much fun!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1413 on: August 02, 2017, 06:14:22 AM »
Not a thrift store, but pretty awesome!

We have a small (3 litre) slow cooker and have been wanting to get a bigger one. The Good Ethnic Boy, who has awesome bargain-hunting skills, found an ad for a 5 litre Brand A slow cooker on sale, and we went questing for it.

We found the space on the shelf where Brand A slow cookers were supposed to be, labeled as $29 (on sale) for a 5 litre one, and $59 (not on sale) for a 6.5 litre Brand A one. What was on the shelf, however, was 5.5 and 6.5 litre Brand B slow cookers, and we couldn't find any labels to tell us how much they were supposed to be. Well, there was only one of the bigger ones, and bigger is better, and if it came in around the same price as the label said Brand A would have been we figured it was worth it; so we loaded the 6.5 litre slow cooker onto our trolley and headed off to the checkout.

GEB: "Hi, could you scan this and tell us how much it is?"
Nice checkout operator: *scans* "It's $16. Do you still want it?"
Both of us: "Heck yeah!"
"Set aphasia to stun!"

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1414 on: August 02, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »

We have a small (3 litre) slow cooker and have been wanting to get a bigger one. The Good Ethnic Boy, who has awesome bargain-hunting skills, found an ad for a 5 litre Brand A slow cooker on sale, and we went questing for it.

We found the space on the shelf where Brand A slow cookers were supposed to be, labeled as $29 (on sale) for a 5 litre one, and $59 (not on sale) for a 6.5 litre Brand A one. What was on the shelf, however, was 5.5 and 6.5 litre Brand B slow cookers, and we couldn't find any labels to tell us how much they were supposed to be. Well, there was only one of the bigger ones, and bigger is better, and if it came in around the same price as the label said Brand A would have been we figured it was worth it; so we loaded the 6.5 litre slow cooker onto our trolley and headed off to the checkout.

That's awesome! I've had some stuff ring up at way less than marked, and it was 50% off.

gmatoy

« Reply #1415 on: August 03, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »

Well, I would have said the same thing! (I might have even gotten an extra one for a Christmas gift for one of my children.)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1416 on: August 05, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
DH and I went to Ollie's Bargain Outlet today to get a coloring book and art supplies for my MIL, who is in the hospital.

While we were there, I saw a display with large rolling bags for art supplies. They were packed with supplies, and were $20! Very high quality contents and a durable bag. We will use it for transporting my canvases, and use the supplies for various art projects.

The bags sell new to Art Institute students for $100.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Nuala

« Reply #1417 on: August 07, 2017, 06:28:40 PM »
got a convertible handvac/stick vac for $3.75. I can keep it upstairs and not have to lug the downstairs one up.

Priceless!

gmatoy

« Reply #1418 on: August 07, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
Yesterday I went with Very Good Friend to see what was left over from her Aunt's estate sale. I couldn't go the 3 days of the sale, so she asked her family if I could have a look see and buy something if I found something. They told her yes, I went and looked and found some things.

Then I went onto the back patio area and helped friend start packing up the clothes. (Oh, my goodness! No one should have enough clothes to dress a small village, twice!)  We kept going into the house and getting still more stuff out of her closet and packing it up.

Then I started packing books and four boxes later, I got the last of the books done. (This was after several others had been packing books until they couldn't stand to do it any more.)

So, my exhaustion set in and I wanted to go home. Could I pay for my purchases now?

No, your money isn't any good here. Thank you for all your work!

So I got two pair of Clark shoes in good condition, a bag of cookbooks, some Fire King dishes, and a Pampered Chef apple peeler and corer for 0 dollars.And I got to spend a day helping and talking with my friend. I was the winner in this situation!

Moonie

« Reply #1419 on: August 13, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
Not a thrift store, but my local dentist's office. 
I had been to my dentist back in July.  I am a bigger person, and finding chairs that are comfortable to sit in while waiting is not easy. My dentist's office has the perfect chairs, and I joked to the receptionist that she should turn her head, because I was going to take one of those chairs when I left. She told me that they were planning to redo the office lobby soon, and she would keep me in mind if they were going to get rid of the chairs.

This past Monday I get a call from the dentist's office. They are getting rid of the chairs, am I interested in getting them? I asked how many they have, and they said they had four. I then asked how much they want for them and she said that I can have them for free, the doctor just wanted me to promise I would refer him to anyone I know looking for a dentist. DONE!

I arranged to pick up the chairs on Thursday, so I called to confirm that they would still be at the office when I got off work. To my surprise, she asked me if I would be interested in the two end tables as well.  Well yeah!!

So I wound up with four very nice, sturdy chairs and two gorgeous end tables for a total of $0.00!!!

If anyone in northeastern Kansas needs a good dentist, I can definitely recommend one  :D

ladyknight1

« Reply #1420 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
An office cart on sale for $15! I'm buying another one later in the week.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-Cart/

ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GardenGal

« Reply #1421 on: August 28, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »
^^^^ That's a great deal.  We have one (without the lid, which I never knew was an option) that we use mostly for the Farmers Market.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

ladyknight1

« Reply #1422 on: August 29, 2017, 07:48:56 AM »
^^^^ That's a great deal.  We have one (without the lid, which I never knew was an option) that we use mostly for the Farmers Market.

I'm going to use it Friday for the gallery hanging, and will use it when I teach first aid, and when I need to carry heavy things on my own. I'm buying another one before the sale ends.
-J.R.R Tolkien

snowfire

« Reply #1423 on: September 01, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »
A 6 foot long desk with three drawers for the office at the store where I work...for $5.00. (And some diesel for my wonderful DH to deliver it.) We had been on the hunt for another desk for me since the one I was using was only about 4 feet long and only had about 2 feet of usable surface since it had different height areas & only had one drawer. Most of the usable area was taken up with my computer, which left me with about 6 inches of space to work with. Now I have 72 x 30 inches & three drawers, which takes care of a lot of stuff that was cluttering up the surface. The only fun part was getting it in through the doors. Particle board is heavy!

Got it at the Habitat for Humanity thrift store.

MissRose

« Reply #1424 on: September 02, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
Not really a thrift store but a clearance rack at a local store...

I offered to get my nephew a dress shirt or 2 along with a few ties and perhaps a pair of cuff links to wear as he works as a doorman at a local dance club (and has only a few dress shirts to go with his black blazer and dress pants).  For $40 including tax, I got him a new Nautica dress shirt, 2 ties, and a cuff link/tie pin set.  I asked his grandfather if he has any cuff links as my dad seldom has the need to dress up, and if he does, he has no use for cuff links - my dad will check and let me know.