News:

• April 23, 2018, 08:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 394145 times)

vintagegal

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1485 on: December 13, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
Nice pair of high waterproof boots, $8, $6.40 after my senior discount.

You can do the teeth test to see if the pearls are real...

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1486 on: December 14, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »
I haven't tried it yet but a CD Rom of the complete works of Shakespeare for $3.  Unopened.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1487 on: December 14, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
My almost 5 year old wants a jewelry box for her birthday.  I was trolling around the web and found someone selling a beautiful wooden one with a collection of vintage jewelry for ridiculously cheap.  I wrote to the seller and offered him what I could afford (and was willing to spend on a present for a 5 year old).  I let him know it was for her birthday.  He accepted my offer and said he'd fill it up with all sorts of "treasures". 

I went to pick it up and the box is solid wood, with arms that swing out to store necklaces, plus all the drawers to store rings, bracelets and other treasures.  The gentleman wasn't lying either; he loaded it up with brooches, necklaces, earrings, and rings.  Some of them were actual silver, and I think a strand of pearls is actually real (based on the weight of them).

My kid is going to be over the moon (although she's not going to get all the treasures at once; we'll portion some of them out for future presents), and this all cost me $20.

This is similar to something that happened to my mom. My grandmother's former landlord was a close family friend as well. He had a wooden silver chest he had built for his wife (who had passed away many years before). My mom said to him if he ever wanted to get rid of it, please let her know as she'd be interested in buying it. Well one day, he tells her she can have it.

So she brings it home, and its heavy! She opens it up, nad not only did he give her the chest, but his wife's silver too! She tried to give it back but he was having none of it. We still have it to this day.

vintagegal

« Reply #1488 on: December 14, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
I once bought a small tin or box at a yard sale and the seller included the jewelry in it. Including several pieces of 14K gold. I believe I paid 50 cents.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1489 on: December 15, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
I once bought a small tin or box at a yard sale and the seller included the jewelry in it. Including several pieces of 14K gold. I believe I paid 50 cents.

I think you just won this thread.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1490 on: December 15, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
My sister knows a jeweler who was shopping at a garage sale...and spotted a tangle of jewelry in a "lot" that was everything in the small box.  She mentioned that at least two of the pieces were far more valuable than the price on the lot.  The seller snorted at her...

She bought the lot, took home the tangle & sorted it out, cleaned it, polished it, and then sorted it again by "sell" or "keep".

She was wearing a necklace of woven gold (it's been a while) with a small diamond in the fastener - the logo and the diamond identified the (now closed) jewelry store & the (deceased) designer from the area - if the seller refused to listen to her, she was going to get the coveted "collectible" piece and wear it herself!

If the seller didn't want to listen - she would take advantage of her own appraisal over that of the seller...who apparently thought the stuff was mere "costume jewelry".

Frankly - it was gorgeous...and she'd wrapped a pendant to wear on the chain that really gave me a yearning to check out her jewelry myself...once I have a thousand dollars saved up...and the courage to sink that much money into something as small & portable as jewelry.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

dawnfire

« Reply #1491 on: December 18, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
I love my local op shop. this week they're having half off sale

a computer desk $3.50 (previous price $7)
a jogger pram $7.50 (previous price $15)
Whittlesea Victoria

Emmy

« Reply #1492 on: December 19, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
I found a pretty silk skirt with sewn on sequins to wear to a wedding for $3.  It was a brand I never heard of, but it fit great.  I look it up online and most of their items run for several hundred dollars.

MIL found a Stone Mountain leather purse in excellent condition for $2, it look like the purses retail for $160. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1493 on: December 19, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »
I found a pretty silk skirt with sewn on sequins to wear to a wedding for $3.  It was a brand I never heard of, but it fit great.  I look it up online and most of their items run for several hundred dollars.

MIL found a Stone Mountain leather purse in excellent condition for $2, it look like the purses retail for $160.

They are pricy and very nice bags! Good find!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1494 on: December 21, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
I had ordered a small carry on bag with wheels, to fit under the seat on the plane - my last flight, the overhead filled up and there were a number of bags gate checked.  I use my carry on for medication, jewelry, my laptop, and other items that I really do not want out of my sight, if at all possible. (I had a checked bag and a carry on.)

I have a messenger bag that has a padded laptop case in it and enough space for everything else (including a wallet on a string for cash & a document area for travel papers) - but as the aisle has gotten narrower due to another row of seats being added...I am afraid that a shoulder carry bag is bumping into people already in their seats or I have to walk sideways down the aisle to avoid bumping into people.  I wanted something small on wheels...so I found one on Amazon & ordered it last week, with delivery a few days after Christmas.  "Just" $38 and I had points from a credit card to knock the cash price down to just over $24 - I was happy...

Then, I got an email that there would be a delay in shipping...so it might not be in time for my next flight (28 December delivery and 9th January flight - a little leeway, but not much).  The company rolled the money back onto the credit card - with no mention of when it would be available for shipping...

I was dropping off some things at the local Goodwill yesterday and got that "spidey-sense pull" when I was there - so I went in...there were three or four things that I was looking for, so I looked in those areas only.

No computer desk (my computer desk had the tray fall off & all the ball bearings are in a plastic bag - the tray mechanism will not let me reassemble it - so I am *looking* for something), no leather purses, but a small rolling bag (whipped out the tape measure in my purse) and it is "the right size" for under a seat!  It was $10 and 30% off due to my being a senior.  Total cost $7.57 was lower than I had already planned to spend and it was in pretty good shape, even if it has been used.

It's not purple paisley - but it is not going to end up on the luggage carousel, so I shouldn't need it to be that easy to spot!  I plan to do something to make the "mostly black" with a little red trim a bit more visible...but I'm all set for our planned trip to Hawaii when we plan to take an "island hopper" flight and we get ONE suitcase to go between islands.  Now to find another one so VorGuy has one, too.  I might end up ordering a purple paisley for me and letting him use this one.

And Amazon was able to cancel the current order, so I have a full refund, points and credit card!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Luci

« Reply #1495 on: December 29, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
I usually donít rush to sales but we had to go to a home improvement store for light bulbs.

DH found a $150 cabinet he was planning to build, so this not only has a drawer in it but was for a lot less than he could buy wood for. We then got two Christmas plants that are healthy and varieties we were planning to get later. One  dwarf Alberta spruce and a Norfolk Island pine. So we bought $180 worth of stuff that we were planning on and the light bulbs for $30.

cicero

« Reply #1496 on: December 31, 2017, 07:39:37 AM »
Not Thrift, but I got a really nice warm winter jacket for 19.99. It was marked down from 200 (which I don't believe was *ever* the actual price but that was the price on the tag) to $29.99. I told the salesperson that I had a 20% off coupon. she said that coupon was only for online. I told her that I would buy it online. She said "wait", looked at my phone and said I have another coupon for $10 off. (which is better than the 20% off).  My $10 off coupon did not work. She said "wait", looked at *her* phone and found the $10 off coupon and applied it. so i paid $19.99...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

« Reply #1497 on: December 31, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
I love $10 coupons. I just got a new scarf for 20 cents 8)

cicero

« Reply #1498 on: December 31, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
I love $10 coupons. I just got a new scarf for 20 cents 8)
Nice!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

katiekat2009

« Reply #1499 on: December 31, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
Found a new in the box 18" American Girl Doll (Tenney) for $50 (new sells for $115) and a 14" AG doll (Wellie Wisher - Emerson) for $4.00 (new is $60) at a store that sells returned merchandise. My granddaughter was thrilled.