Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 108414 times)

Micah

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
Not thrift store, but I picked up a double bed with a near new mattress for $25 from local buy/sell/swap facebook page. Also got a Kambrook stainless steel electric frying pan for $15 from the same page.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

pendragon1980

« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »
Stopped at a half priced book store today got ...

2 Stephen King Paperbacks (Dark Tower 1 and Night Shift)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy (All three books in one hardback)
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (hardback)
The Starbucks Biography (forget the real title)

Basically cut my Amazon wishlist in half

All for $50  ;D

Cutenoob

« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
A few days ago I was on the hunt for some jars for Freezer Jam. (my first ever attempt).
Found 14 jars and lids for 6$ total at Goodwill. Have used 3 of them so far and am looking forward to more!
My ex now works at Value Village, and he's finding goodies all the time. We're still friends, so he keeps an eye out for me for clothes and other things.

HushHush

« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
My local Salvation Army had a service for 8 of my china pattern for $100!  I don't need a full service as I already have 14 dinner plates, 11 bread and butter plates, 12 cereal bowls and the serving platter but I really need the cappucino cups, dessert plates and to finish out the full set of bread/saucer plates.  But not for $100 for a ton of parts I don't need. 

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »
Went to the GW today to find some jeans. I couldn't find any that were short enough but checked out the furniture section. Found a gorgeous dining table with two leaves and 6 chairs for $75. It's big enough that we can now have the food and our dishes on the table at the same time.   :o

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
My friend was 30 years old. In the charity shop I found an annual* from the year she was born. She loved it, and everyone thought it was really clever and cute. Much cheaper than the expensive "You were born in" things.

*An annual is a book associated with a weekly publication. Each year you would get one at Christmas. Comic strips, stories for girls drawn in panels, photo stories.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Long background: Last year, one of my cats got sick. She had to be separated from the other so Georgia didn't pull out Wendy's feeding tube. Georgia got stuck in the basement. The cats get along now, but Wendy doesn't like going to the basement anymore. I moved her litterbox from the second floor to the first with no problem. The transition to the basement did NOT go well. When I'm not home, she goes in the dining room. (I know she's being a brat and not having medical issues because if I'm home all day, she goes to the basement.) I've tried lots of different things, and I finally give up.

Short version: Because I'm going to have to have a litterbox upstairs (in the dining room or living room... ugh...), I wanted to hide it. I thought about buying this (versions range from $160 to $250):

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Studio-Litter-Cabinet-Mahogany/dp/B0014M1GWO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316890416&sr=8-3

Instead, at Goodwill today, I bought a cabinet that will work perfectly (once I clean it up a bit, take off the legs, and cut a hole in the side). The cost? $20. Sweet!

I also spent $12 on a nightstand that matches the one I already have. The one I have cost me $50. This one cost $12 (and is in better shape than my poor abused nightstand).
The status is not quo!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
I went to the Goodwill to look for a small filing cabinet last weekend. I struck out on that but brought home a Pyrex double-boiler.

Three days later, I found a filing cabinet on Freecycle.  :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
Yesterday I found a large hardcover book from the Cairo Museum with tons of beautiful pictures of artifacts.  It was from 1969 and was only $6.  I got it for my grand kids to add to their library, since my granddaughter studied Egypt a couple of years ago and was so fascinated with it.  She was about 11 at the time.  I love giving them books from the thrift stores on subjects they love. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Pinky830

« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
The $8 bouncy seat I got from a consignment shop, before my son was born...some of the best money I've ever spent.

The $3 sleeveless white sweater. It was one of my favorite shirts. It finally died in a tragic red-wine accident.

The $10 wicker headboard, on clearance at Pier 1. (Me to the sales clerk: "One of the legs is bent, can you take a couple dollars off?"  >:D No luck, but I had to ask.)

My MIL invited me to come to her neighborhood pool once when my son was 18 months old, and he didn't have a swimsuit. Just to see, I pulled into a thrift store and looked in the children's section. First thing I saw was a pair of Carter' swim trunks, size 2T, with the tags still on. 50 cents.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »
This afternoon, at the tiny Uniting Church Opportunity shop that's five blocks away I went in looking for some wine glasses - Ace dropped the last of our 'everyday' wine glasses last night so we're either using the good ones (and he drops them a *lot* so, no) or find some cheapies.

Found a set of 6 Reidel white wine glasses, still in their boxes, labeled at $5 for the set - these retail for around $150/set, so I insisted that the ladies not give me change from the $10 I handed them.

Oh, and a Ralph Lauren shirt for Ace, in dark blue checker-pattern for 50c.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2011, 09:00:43 AM »
The $8 bouncy seat I got from a consignment shop, before my son was born...some of the best money I've ever spent.

The $3 sleeveless white sweater. It was one of my favorite shirts. It finally died in a tragic red-wine accident.

The $10 wicker headboard, on clearance at Pier 1. (Me to the sales clerk: "One of the legs is bent, can you take a couple dollars off?"  >:D No luck, but I had to ask.)

My MIL invited me to come to her neighborhood pool once when my son was 18 months old, and he didn't have a swimsuit. Just to see, I pulled into a thrift store and looked in the children's section. First thing I saw was a pair of Carter' swim trunks, size 2T, with the tags still on. 50 cents.
When my kids were little Carters was one of my favorite brands.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Tai

« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
I'm still mourning the loss of the Carter's outlet on my route home from work.  They are, however, putting in a Market Basket there...

I am making a run to thrift stores tomorrow for wool sweaters for felting, craft supplies, and hopefully a nightstand that will fit under my hutch to provide drawers.  And the remaining of my yard sale list- DH needs a coat, and kids seem to always need clothes!

otterwoman

« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »
Rummage sale at local church: It was a bag sale, they provided paper grocery bags. Fill the bag for one price. The ladies working the sale were telling people to roll up the clothes so you could stuff more in the bag. I got 20 pieces for my daughter (Osh Kosh, Gap Baby, Old Navy Baby, Carters, and Levis brands), 6 for my niece (Gap, Cherokee, and Levis), pants for my friend's boys (LL Bean and Levis) and a purse for me. When I went to pay, they told me that since I filled a bag, I could have one large item for free.
Would I like the lamp? No thank you.
How about the back massager? No thank you.
Okay, there is a coat rack full of coats, please pick one. So I found a winter coat for my hubby (Old Navy).

Total cost was $2.

I am going to be going to MORE rummage sales!!

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »
Catholic Church rummage sale:

Like new Scott's broadcast spreader (retail $50)
Like new Ames EZ garden wagon (retail $60)
Brand new large pet carrier (retail $50)

all for $25