Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 82040 times)

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
I'm sitting on my best find, but it's not going to sound quite as spectacular.  There's a store here in Austin called John William Interiors.  I love to browse there, but I can't afford to do much more.  It's the kind of store where you fall in love with a dining room table and find out it goes for $30,000   :-\

I found one of their sofas at a used furniture store for $1000.  The guy had the original receipt showing a purchase price of $8000.  It looked like it had never been sat on, and it's WHITE. 

I've now had it for eight years, and even with daily abuse it still looks like new.

Did I mention it's white?

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
BatCity, that's a steal! And sounds like it was worth every penny if it is still white after so long.

I didn't find this in a thrift store but on clearance at a department store. Levi jeans marked down 96%!! I've never been one to buy clothes a year or two early and store them for my kids, but I think this is one time I should make an exception. I'll find a place to store the things that are too big for now.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
Levi jeans marked down 96%!! I've never been one to buy clothes a year or two early and store them for my kids, but I think this is one time I should make an exception. I'll find a place to store the things that are too big for now.
WOW!! Score!  DH lives in Levi jeans.  I would stock up for the rest of our lives at 96% off.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
Levi jeans marked down 96%!! I've never been one to buy clothes a year or two early and store them for my kids, but I think this is one time I should make an exception. I'll find a place to store the things that are too big for now.
WOW!! Score!  DH lives in Levi jeans.  I would stock up for the rest of our lives at 96% off.

I know! I'm sure the reason why these are marked down so much is because they are skinny jeans. All the others were 50% off at the most. I was hoping to find some for my DH but no luck. I probably couldn't get him to wear skinny jeans anyway. LOL

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
I know! I'm sure the reason why these are marked down so much is because they are skinny jeans. All the others were 50% off at the most. I was hoping to find some for my DH but no luck. I probably couldn't get him to wear skinny jeans anyway. LOL
Drat! There had to be a catch. >:(

There was a day when DH wore skinny jeans.  There was a day when I wore skinny jeans.  I don't see that day returning in either of our futures.  >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Tai

« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
DH and I went to the thrift store the other day.  I have a magic bullet (the blender, not the other!) and I found a bag of parts for it for $2. 

DH got a 3 piece suit that fits NOW, which is good since he last bought a suit 75lbs or so ago.  He also got a blazer to wear with his khakis. 

While looking at the housewares, we found some TINY cups, about 1/2 the size of shot glasses, silver, for $2.  I'm 99% positive they're real silver, we'll get them checked soon.  I also found a copper teapot, a silver creamer, and a crockpot shaped like a football, all for $1 each. 

And my favorite- a coffee press!  I've wanted one for a while, and now I have one! 

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
Went back to JCP to stock up on Levis for my boys...got the next three sizes up, so we should be set for a while. Anyway, there were also a ton of polo and button down shirts for the same price of $1.97 so I stocked up on those. I spent about $75 and got 38 items. Then the cashier announced my savings...just shy of $1000!! So exciting!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
Went back to JCP to stock up on Levis for my boys...got the next three sizes up, so we should be set for a while. Anyway, there were also a ton of polo and button down shirts for the same price of $1.97 so I stocked up on those. I spent about $75 and got 38 items. Then the cashier announced my savings...just shy of $1000!! So exciting!

Marcus Aurelius

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
W00t!! 3 pairs of shoes for the muffin. BRAND SPANKING NEW. One Reebok high-tops, one easy strides sneakers and one circo sneakers. 2 pairs were 2.90 and one pair was 1.90.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »
The Sweetie found a *gorgeous* wedding dress for her Bridezilla costume - for $12.50!
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »
OK, this wasn't a thrift store.  It was my local chain grocery store (Store).  First I want to make it clear that I almost never pay retail.  Coupons, sales, thrifts stores - that's my strategy.  Store has all kinds of deals: There are coupons, sales, club card specials, personalized pricing, and a price matching for other stores.  Sometimes more than one of these applies to a single item.  That's how my $7.19 box of tea turned into my $1.79.  My total savings that day was over $40 & my total (paid) was $80.  Not that I would have bought any of that stuff at the original prices!

Marcus Aurelius

MizB

« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
Mr. O and I have been thrifting and going to auctions. I found a brand new pair of dansko shoes (retail $150) for $4, too bad they didn't fit.

I actually purchased an industrial shredder for $9. It was older, but it works great.

Mr. O got a whole bunch of art and a plate for under $20 that ended up being worth a lot more too.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Micah

« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2011, 04:35:57 AM »
A pair of flat soled, long leather boots. They were really dirty and had what looked like flecks of paint on them. A wipe over with a damp cloth and some gentle rubbing with a magic eraser and they've come up like new. There's barely any wear on the sole either. $3

Another pair of long boots, really high heels this time. Have to get used to walking in them, heh. Worn once, $15
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:44 AM »
DH found a Moog synthesizer in excellent condition at a pawn shop for $150.  I'm not sure how much it's actually worth, but his guess is at least $500, maybe more.   He was just about dancing on air that day.   ;D

kymom3

« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
I was in an indoor flea market/antique mall a few weeks ago with DS1, who is now 21.  He decided that he needed a pair of dress shoes, and surprise, one of the booths had a pair that he liked in his size.  They were a very nice pair of used Johnson and Murphy men's dress shoes that we got for $15.  My dad called yesterday and said he saw the same shoes in the new J & M catalog for $265!