Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 112391 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
Friend of DD's showed me a really cute new pair of heels on Sunday that she paid $20 for at a close-out sale at an outlet store.  Original price?  $365.  One dollar a day.  She did well!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

MissRose

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
My father lost about 40 lbs due to some heart surgery thing and the special diet he was on - nearly fat / salt free for a while but can have that stuff now in moderation.  So that meant he needed new pants/trousers as he went from a 44/46 waist pants down to 40/42 waist pants.   My mother and I were on the look out at rummage/yard sales & thrift stores for jeans, khakis, and dress pants.   Between my mother and I, and the sales, we managed to find him about 3 or 4 button down shirts, 4 to 5 pair of jeans (as he wears jeans the most), 2 or 3 pairs of khakis (going places), and 2 or 3 pairs of dress pants (special occasions), and did not spend more than $100 combined between the 2 of us.  He had some of his already existing nicer clothes altered, the rest of the stuff he cannot fit and that won't be altered will be donated.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2011, 03:56:25 PM »
Not huge, but I got a Pampered Chef tart pan for $0.50.

Otterpop

« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2011, 11:09:04 AM »
Yesterday, picked up a Jones NY skirt, priced $58, marked down to $3.  It's made of a wonderful woven fabric and had a few snags so dept. store couldn't sell it as new.  I bought it with pocket change, took it home and brought out my "leetle" lace crochet hook to pull the snags back in.  Skirt is good as new!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2011, 05:06:37 AM »
I found a beautiful Danier mens leather coat for only $13 at Value Village a few weeks ago,  couldn't believe my luck, it has a small tear in the lining, but WOW, I love it! I can't wear ladies coats because the arms are too short on me, so this was a great find!

Jules

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
I picked up a Hoover Floormate spinscrub hard floor cleaner on craigslist this weekend for 80. It retails for 199.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
I picked up a Hoover Floormate spinscrub hard floor cleaner on craigslist this weekend for 80. It retails for 199.

Nice one! Have you tried it out yet? I've been wondering for a while if those work better than a mop.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »
Nice one! Have you tried it out yet? I've been wondering for a while if those work better than a mop.

Bwhahahahahaha...

5 minutes after my husband got home he gave Leila a juicebox. Cue 8 ounces of orange tangerine juice all over the tile floor. Then she got a yogurt. Greek yogurt... nice and sticky.... all over the floor. THEN the dog came back inside from doing her business. Wet muddy paw prints all over the floor...

I've used it 5 bazillion times. It is my new best friend. I was slowly planning to rig up an elaborate pulley system so that no one would touch the ground at the house because i was going through swiffer pads like there was no tomorrow and still getting sticky patches. This thing is amazing. AMAZING. And I just use vinegar and water in it.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
I have a friend who never thrifted, figuring it was all "mom jeans" and "grandma sweaters."

On the other hand, I wear thrifted clothes almost every day, and when she asks me where I got a particular item, I usually respond "From the thrift store!"

This weekend we were hanging out at her place and she showed me 4 new pairs of jeans. I asked her where she got them and she proudly grinned, "From the thrift store! 4 pairs for $7.00!"

I'm so proud of her and glad to have made a new convert.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
Today I found Iona and Peter Opie's fairy tale book - that one's for me! Also a translation of the Canterbury tales into modern English - again for me as I've only read a few - and a book of trumpet music I wanted, and some pieces for making flowers. Okay, it was all for me apart from the annual for my friend's 40th birthday next year.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »
Lately someone has been donating various gothic style clothing, barely worn if not new and I'm snapping them up.

dawnfire

« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »
my son just picked up a nerf gun for a buck. for a kid who has nerf battles with his friends it's a great find.

yokozbornak

« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »
Had a couple of great scores today at Goodwill.  I found a long Iris Impressions skirt for $4 that still had the tags on it.  They retail for around $85.  I also found my daughter a new Hanna Andersson dress that is still for sale on their website for $2.50.  I love when I have finds like that!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
At an annual charity sale this past weekend, I picked up the cutest little sewing machine. It's a Singer 328k. I've been looking for a 503a, but this one just spoke to me. Now all I need is to find the flat pattern cams for the decorative stitches...  :D

I also found a wonderful down-filled housecoat. Just in time for our first serious cold snap! Yay!

I did see some adorable egg cups while I was hauling my sewing machine to the checkout. I went back after putting the machine in my car, but they were gone.  When we got back to my house, my sister pulled them out of her loot! The fiend!

Ruelz

« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
On Saturday I went looking for a winter coat (need something 'nicer' for work or going out than my old parka). 

Found one I liked...'regular' price: $250.  But it was on sale for 50% ... then it was 'scratch-and-win' Saturday...so I got another 15% off... then I asked them to check my points...and found I had enough to cover the remainder...

...so 'free' coat...

I'm still happy about it... ;D
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow