Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115273 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »
On Saturday I went looking for a winter coat (need something 'nicer' for work or going out than my old parka). 

Found one I liked...'regular' price: $250.  But it was on sale for 50% ... then it was 'scratch-and-win' Saturday...so I got another 15% off... then I asked them to check my points...and found I had enough to cover the remainder...

...so 'free' coat...

I'm still happy about it... ;D

That is flippin' awesome!
The status is not quo!

Ruelz

« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
Thanks!  I'm still doing the happy dance about it... ;D
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
Thanks!  I'm still doing the happy dance about it... ;D

I love stuff like that.  I just ordered some stuff online, from a store that always has coupons and promos, and found I could stack my discounts, so I got 20%, then another 15%, i got 7 items, 2 tees, a sweater, 2 pairs of yoga/sweatpants, a cute sterling stacking ring set and a new blanked for under $90 WITH free shipping.

squeakers

« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2011, 06:56:33 PM »
I found a baby play pen for $8.  I wanted it for corraling my Chihuahua at home and when we go camping.  It worked.. for about 4 hours and then she jumped right out of it.  The cats like napping in it though  ;D  The Chi can get out but can't get in so they can nap w/o her pouncing on them.

I'm thinking maybe using a sheet and some velcro to make it have a top.. or maybe some pop-rivets.  Then the Chi will be contained and have shade.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

hollandoates

« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
i recently got a vintage christian dior scarf for only $5! which is funny, because my only other vintage designer find was a christian dior sweater for $3.

my mother has the best eye for this stuff, though, finding everything from $5 prada purses to $50 original 1950s chrome dining room sets!

my SO has a knack for finding things on the side of the road. i'm not such a fan of discarded cutting boards  ::) but i was quite happy with the portable 1960s typewriter!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »
If we're counting curb finds...a medium-sized cat carrier, a mid-century sideboard, a pachinko machine, a quilt rack, lots of flowerpots and many odds & ends hauled to the Salvation Army each year that add up to hundreds of dollars in tax deductions each year. One day I found two ironing boards, hauled them to the thrift shop to find an antique wooden ironing board for $2.  I bought it and brought my newish metal one in later that day. I know those ladies thought I was nuts.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »
My friend's church had their annual Christmas Bazaar this past weekend. We donated a ton of furniture that we didn't want to move. And we got a solid cherry china hutch and diningroom table plus 6 chairs for $200. We were able to snag it before the bazaar because we helped move stuff!

bluhairfreak

« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
Been meaning to post this.  I picked up a beautiful solid wood curio cabinet, with glass shelves and sides and mirror back from CAPS thrift store for 50$.   It's now sitting nicely in the corner of my dining/sitting room filled with my gundam models.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
Large Portmeirion planter for 20. That's Mum's Christmas present sorted out!
NE England

Ruelz

« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
This isn't a score, but still...

I need 2 occaisional chairs for the family room...just so that when everyone is over (BF and GFs) no one has to sit on the floor.  I want two narrowish, padded chairs, with no arms to fit in the allotted space without taking up too much room. I know they're not esp. comfortable, but it's really only for very irregular use...

We went looking for chairs on the weekend.  Very little selection...and VERY expensive in general.  One of the stores we stopped at had a chair that would 'do', but I didn't like it in particular.  Hubby looked at the price tag...$700.00.  The look on his face was priceless.

I don't like buying from catalogues when I haven't seen the item in real life...but Costco had a chair I didn't mind the look of on sale for $125.  I ordered two...so I hope they turn out okay...

$250 for something I like is much better than $1400 for something I don't like...;)
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

deadbody

« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
Not exactly thrift score, but the best deal I ever got.  I was working at a bank and someone brought in a gold coin.  It said 2 and a half dollar gold piece on it.  I wasn't sure what it was, the guy asked what he could get for it.  I explained that as a bank we'd give him face value of $2.50 it was about the size of a nickle.  he said ok.  I tried twice to send him to a pawn shop or something because I was sure it was worth more than $2.50, he declined.  So after I gave him $2.50 I withdrew $2.50 from my account and bought the coin (which was in spectacular shape) gave it to my coin collecting father for christmas.  He almost had a stroke when he opened it cause he knew the value (as did I, at the time $800 or so, now well into 4 figures if not 5).  He started talking about how I paid way too much for a present for him.

I broke down and explained that I paid face value for it.

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »

Not my find, but Angel's, and I taught her well! Blue vintage long gown for winter formal, $20.00 (shown on angel); I'll have to ask Angel to get better pics of the detailing at the hem of the blue. I'd say mid seventies, and I love, love, LOVE it! Kind of marquesite (SP?) looking, KWIM?

The pink ballerina ball gown by Nori Lee, (on best friend) was new with tags, but needs minor beading repair, $40.00. This skirt has 10 layers of tulle and 3 of silk. Not my usual taste, but Angel loves it and is goth-ing it up a little.

Being totally done formal wear shopping for Senior year on a tight budget, PRICELESS!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »
That blue is such a pretty color!  And the styles look like they could fit into any era or style they want come spring formals.

DD went to a masquerade ball a few weeks ago, and her dress was ...three dollars!!  Floor length, beautiful midnight blue, exactly the right floor length, and it was so nice that I almost wanted to save it for a "real" formal, and not have the chance of getting it messed up at the party! 

yard sales, my BFF.   ;D
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »

Hutch and table... :D

Everlee

« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
JEALLLOOUUSS!  I have been wanting a kitchen hutch for years.  Goodwill had one not long ago that wasn't in bad shape, but I didn't have any way to pack it home.  Love them.