Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 107993 times)

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
We were lucky and our friends borrowed the church truck and dropped it off.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »

Hutch and table... :D

Kethria, those are gorgeous!!

Over the weekend we decided to go to the Habitat for Humanity Restore to see if there were any supplies we could use for our repairs and projects. We needed a new window sash, which they had tons of, but none in the size we needed. I did find some nice tiles for $7/box (12x12 tiles) but we didn't measure our bathroom before going so didn't buy any. That's probably my new favorite store for our home renovations. I'll have a lot to add to this thread, I'm sure, as we start fixing things up more.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
A friend of mine buys a lot of stuff from HforH.  He and his kids have done a lot of volunteer work for them so he gets an even better price.

What he did was use combinations of tiles and made a pattern because there was rarely enough of one colour to finish the job.  Something to keep in mind, if you like that look.  When this friend did some work for me renovating my bathroom and washroom, I got a beautiful round mirror for my washroom that was dirt cheap!

ReStores are a great spot to shop when you are working on small spaces or willing to mix and match.  And often, you get stuff that is brand new!  End of line or end of lot or factory seconds.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »
A friend of mine buys a lot of stuff from HforH.  He and his kids have done a lot of volunteer work for them so he gets an even better price.

What he did was use combinations of tiles and made a pattern because there was rarely enough of one colour to finish the job.  Something to keep in mind, if you like that look.  When this friend did some work for me renovating my bathroom and washroom, I got a beautiful round mirror for my washroom that was dirt cheap!

ReStores are a great spot to shop when you are working on small spaces or willing to mix and match.  And often, you get stuff that is brand new!  End of line or end of lot or factory seconds.

I do love the patterned look, so that's probably what we'll end up doing. We have three bathrooms to do (well, two to put in...1 bathroom for 6 people is a challenge sometimes!) and they're all pretty small, but even then, two boxes is not going to be enough.

I didn't realize they also had decorative items there, that's cool!

Everlee

« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
Forced my husband to go to Goodwill with me.  I found a gorgeous Children's Place knitted knee-length coat for $2.  It looks brand new.  Husband was surprised that you could find brand names at Goodwill.   ::)  He lives a sheltered life.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

Hutch and table... :D

Kethria, those are gorgeous!!

Over the weekend we decided to go to the Habitat for Humanity Restore to see if there were any supplies we could use for our repairs and projects. We needed a new window sash, which they had tons of, but none in the size we needed. I did find some nice tiles for $7/box (12x12 tiles) but we didn't measure our bathroom before going so didn't buy any. That's probably my new favorite store for our home renovations. I'll have a lot to add to this thread, I'm sure, as we start fixing things up more.

Thank you!
I LOVE the ReStores! We got all the paint for this house at the Arundel ReStore (Something like 30 gallons). It cost the same as one 5 gallon paint bucket at Lowes. Rediculous!

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
I should have gone to the ReStore yesterday because they were having a Black Friday sale too...50% off specially marked items, 10% off the rest. Oh well. But we went today and I picked up a pendant light fixture for over our kitchen sink for $5 and a weed whacker for $7. It works even! lol I'm itching to pick up tiles but am being good and waiting until we know how many we'll actually need.

Bethczar

« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »
Forced my husband to go to Goodwill with me.  I found a gorgeous Children's Place knitted knee-length coat for $2.  It looks brand new.  Husband was surprised that you could find brand names at Goodwill.   ::)  He lives a sheltered life.
Our Goodwill is having a designer handbag sale. I got a 2 purses (a Prada & and Kate Spade) for under $20, total.

MissRose

« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2011, 07:53:10 AM »
My mother and I have found my dad some nice brand name mens' trousers/pants for my dad for Xmas.   We bought about 5 or 6 pairs of different types of pants (khakis, jeans, dress pants) as he lost some weight recently.  We paid $40 for them all together, and some of them are brands found in department stores or mall stores.

bluhairfreak

« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
Reviving this thread for a quick boast.  Work is doing a community outreach and trying to gather prom/formal dress to donate to girls who can't afford them.  My local CAPS thrift store was having a 50% off cocktail and evening wear sale today, so I popped in and bought 4 dresses to add to the collection for 25$

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
Reviving this thread for a quick boast.  Work is doing a community outreach and trying to gather prom/formal dress to donate to girls who can't afford them.  My local CAPS thrift store was having a 50% off cocktail and evening wear sale today, so I popped in and bought 4 dresses to add to the collection for 25$

Great score and great charity!

Maggie

« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
I went to a garage sale yesterday.  Even though it was kind of early in the year this was a great garage sale!  I found what according to the internet is a real Dolce & Gabbana for $4.  That totally made my day!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
I'm not much of a shopper, and my score isn't anything jaw dropping.

But i got a really neat lamp that charges my phone or my iPod, plus has a nice easy to adjust light.  :D

Seven dollars. Yay!

(And yes, my bedroom wall is covered in smoke stains. A cord blew several years back and no ammount fo cleaning takes all the stains off.)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
Lately I've been doing pretty well at thrift shopping for baby stuff (expecting my first in August).  First we found the highly-rated car seat we wanted on sale for $40 (from $55, which was already a pretty good deal).  Then we found the most-recommended playard/bassinet on sale for $60 (from almost $70--not a huge discount, but most of the other playards were closer to $100!).  And most recently, I bought a Medela pump for $70 on Craigslist (they sell for almost $300 new, and all I need to do is get a few new accessories!).  I feel like a thrift ninja!   8)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
A Wilton Co. pewter "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread" plate for $1.50, when I've seen them on Ebay for $40!
A Chinese screen thing small enough for my mantle-$2.00. 
A set of wine glasses, even though I don't drink wine-$1.00