News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2017, 09:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 316076 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
Not huge, but I got a copy of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief(the book) for 67 cents the other day at Goodwill.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
I am a pretty thrifty shopper, but I don't always think of my buys as great deals because I'm so used to buying discount or secondhand.

A store called Plato's Closet is my latest favorite. Nothing in the outrageously low category because it's for-profit rather than nonprofit like Goodwill, but generally nicer stuff because people make some money for their clothes.
Seven Jeans (retail approx. $170) in like-new shape, $10; Calvin Klein shorts with $55 tag still on, $10; Ecko Red dress ($85 retail, with tags still on), $10.

A local charity shop had like-new Kenneth Cole kitten heels for $10 and a beautiful floral embroidered (the detail is great!) skirt with a missing inside tag for $5.

For the kitchen: $2 Bodum French press (retail approx $35) and $8 working Black & Decker late-model toaster oven (about $90 new) with all the accessories at Goodwill.

I had considered buying a pair of modern barstools for $200 apiece. Found them in another store for $150 apiece. Found them online for $100 apiece ... kept searching, and bought the pair for $50 total, no shipping charges. So it's not the greatest deal in the world, but $400 plus fees, down to $25 is great.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
I found brand new Sketchers sneakers for $4 this weekend, in my size, and I almost never find size 6 shoes in thrift store.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »
I found this very well done but strange needlepoint for 4 bucks. I've decided his name is Bob.

ETA that Bob is in Sales.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:43:38 AM by Ms_Cellany »
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
I found this very well done but strange needlepoint for 4 bucks. I've decided his name is Bob.

Those dark horn-rimmed glasses look like the ones my dad wears and his name really is Bob. ;)

(The glasses are the only thing that look like my dad ;-)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Amara

« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
I think he looks like a Bob. What also struck me in looking at it was that it seemed familiar, but it took me a while to come up with enough information to google it. You know who it looks like without the glasses: an old television actor, Bob Cummings ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bob_Cummings_Show ).

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
Had to bump the thread because DH and I just got back from a consignment sale where we picked up two books, four very cute baby outfits, and a changing table.  Total cost for the lot?  $20.  I am so proud of us!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »
My colleagues and I have collectively decided that his name is James Robert Arthur*, and he is the vice-president of the Gasket Manufacturers' Association of America.

*votes were split among Jim, Bob and Art for his name.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:10:52 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »
I was at a consignment store a few months back just keeping a friend company while she shopped...scored a brand-new, tags-still-on BoardDoktor snowboarding jacket for $10.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

finecabernet

« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
Two greats ones in the last few weeks (though not at a thrift shop but at discount retail stores).

I found a pretty jacket marked 90% off (from $90 to $10), and it fit. With "bucks" from the store it was free!

Before that I found Sanita shoes (selling online now for $115) for $30.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
Not thrift, but Freecycle. I responded to a post for free vases. I picked them up today, expecting generic grocery store or florist vases, but these are mostly cool, vintage looking vases and jars.

Instantkarma

« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
i got a fantastic wooden end table (real wood, not pressed plus it pretty and it has slots on the side for magazines or remotes plus a shelf) plus 4 napkins and 4 place mats (pretty pink and purple flower print) for a grand total of $10.  the table was $8 and the napkins/placemats were $2!

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2012, 02:10:33 AM »
An older relative has unfortunately moved into a nursing home and needed to get rid of most of her furniture. I am now the proud owner of a lovely dark wood carved pedestal, a large matching cabinet, and some glass dessert dishes. All free, and my relative knows they went to a good home.

Other good finds have been a set of 7 lead crystal glasses for $25, and an outlet shop dress for $20, originally $160. I fell in love with a hall stand at shop A for $400, saw it again a few months later for $200 but damaged in shop B, and then finally saw it for $200, undamaged, in shop C. It matches the other furniture so well they look like a set.

BF bought me a ring off ebay last year, white gold and diamonds (I took it to a jewellers and checked). It's a beautiful art nouveau style and I've never seen another like it. Total cost: $100.

Elisabunny

« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »
My church has a ceremony for which the women wear long-sleeved, long white dresses. After 20 years I decided I need a new dress, but the nice ones (which I want since it will be another 20 years before I replace it) cost over $100.  Lately I've found 2! for only $6 each.  One is slightly too small, so I'm putting it aside for if my daughter wants it. :D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

CakeBeret

« Reply #254 on: April 29, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
I needed to stock up on clothes for my DS. At my Salvation Army I got him 4 pairs of jeans, 11 shirts, a heavy coat, and a jacket, and 5 paperbacks for myself, for $13. The clothes for DS are all super cute, nice brands, and in great condition. And the books...I find myself unable to say no to interesting-looking paperbacks so cheap. Unfortunately I have a backlog of at least 20 books to be read and not enough time to read them. :P
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."