Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 105413 times)

kymom3

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
I found these at a yard sale on Saturday.  The yard sale was down the street from me, it looked like possibly a mother/daughter, plus another older woman having the sale.  They had 4 quilt tops and one quilt and the older woman--maybe at least 70-said she had $2/apiece on them!  What?!  They were hand stitched too.  I bought them all, because she said if I didn't buy them they were going to Goodwill.  She then told me her grandmother had pieced them!  I about fainted.  They were all older material, I think from the 1930's or so, different patterns, several of them were made with darker pieces of material, and a coupler were lighter scraps. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
I don't even quilt and I'd have bought them at those prices!  I know some folks who make quilts for various charities so if I really liked the top, I'd pay them to make it up for me and if I wasn't super keen, I'd donate the top to them.

(I was doing some clean out and found some material I wasn't going to use.  One piece was a heavy plaid I'd bought for a Hallowe'en costume.  It was made up into a quilt for a young boy undergoing medical treatment.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
I found these at a yard sale on Saturday.  The yard sale was down the street from me, it looked like possibly a mother/daughter, plus another older woman having the sale.  They had 4 quilt tops and one quilt and the older woman--maybe at least 70-said she had $2/apiece on them!  What?!  They were hand stitched too.  I bought them all, because she said if I didn't buy them they were going to Goodwill.  She then told me her grandmother had pieced them!  I about fainted.  They were all older material, I think from the 1930's or so, different patterns, several of them were made with darker pieces of material, and a coupler were lighter scraps.

Wow.  I don't quilt, but I do have a couple that were made by someone in my family; great great grandmother or aunts, that generation.  I'm glad you got them, and not Goodwill - since you will definitely appreciate them! (not knocking Goodwill, but they might not have even realized what they were)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »
My older sister works at a thrift store, and has come home with:

1) Vic-20, an older computer.  It came with the tape drive, some cartridges, tapes, hookups... for 10 bucks.  We're computer nerds. :P

2) Speak n' Spell.  We never grew up, apparently. ;D

3) Pantone Color Swatches, basic set.  2 bucks.  Normally?  370.  Sure, they're kind of old, but appear to be color accurate. :)

4) 2 old Macintoshes.  We need an ADP (Apple Desktop Display) to 25-pin converter for one of them, but they otherwise seem functional. :) The other one we've had way before she started working there-- it's an all in one, a Macintosh Classic II. :)

5) Books?  We found a one-off manga in Japanese.  We are working on translating it ("Hoshi wa Suburu," Stars Dance.)

littlebird

« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »

Ahhh! So jealous! I really miss my Speak n Spell! It was so cool!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »

Ahhh! So jealous! I really miss my Speak n Spell! It was so cool!

I still have my Speak n Maths. It's even cooler because of the rarity value :-)

norrina

« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
I found my wedding dress at Goodwill for $7.99, two years ago. DF finally proposed last night, so I took a gamble buying it that we would eventually end up getting married, and that it would fit our "theme" and he would like it of we did, but for $8 it seemed like a reasonable risk. It isn't a traditional gown, so it isn't an extreme bargain, but it is ankle length white gauze and ornately embroidered, so it is a little fancier than the typical GW dress. And he does like it and it will be perfect for our beach wedding.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
Congratulations, Norrina!  I'd love to see pics, that sounds very pretty!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

norrina

« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »
Congratulations, Norrina!  I'd love to see pics, that sounds very pretty!

Thank you Green Eyed Hawk. I'll be posting them over in the wedding board (8/15/13) sometime fairly soon.

I got so excited about the dress I forgot my other big thrift store score, a KitchenAid food processor for $7. It only had one disc, but since I already had the same model at home (I'd redone my kitchen colors and wanted to replace it with white, which the thrift store model was) that was not an issue for  me, and saved me $150.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
Garage sale, but we got Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Pro-skater 2, and NAMCO Museum 1 for the PS1 for a quarter each.  ;D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2012, 10:43:34 PM »
Three Bakelite boxes of Viewmaster reels. I was tempted and then the gal running the sale walked up and said, "All three for $2."
How could I say no?  I have views of the US and all around the world, plus Disneyland, various cartoons and the wedding of Prince Rainier to Grace Kelly.

Pippen

« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
Not a thrift store but an antique store had a couple of painting my mum just loved. They were only $400 for the pair but she refused to buy them despite me telling her if she didn't she would regret it. Still no action 3 weeks later from her I took Dad in and we got them for her birthday. Then just to be a cow I took her back in and we spent the next month hearing about how she wishes she had got them. She wanted to commit murder on us when she opened her present so it was well worth the $300 Dad bargained them down to.

Did a quick internet search on the artist and guessed they are worth $18-20K which was a bit exciting. So sent them to be valued and it came back at around $25K.

Downside. Now Dad thinks he is an art expert and turns up with some the the most butt ugly paintings you have ever seen and insists they are worth a fortune. Nothing can convince him otherwise.

gmatoy

« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
Today: a sewing machine, Singer from about 1970. It is exactly the same model as the one my best friend gave me when my own machine quit working. This is a total score because it works and I already know how to use it, so no learning curve! $19.99 but today was the sale day, so finally cost was $15.71!

And even better: DH didn't even try to talk me out of buying another sewing machine!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #313 on: July 02, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »
On Friday last week I had that pull that tells me I have to go look at <this store>. I searched the whole store and was very disappointed not to find anything - until the last place I looked. I found not one but two exotic leather vintage handbags. One was snakeskin, one was crocodile in a very useful tan colour. I've wanted both for ages.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #314 on: July 02, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Some years ago I hit the jackpot at a local rummage sale.  It was a 19th century French folio on a Broze Age settlement in Switzerland.

At the time, we had a friend in the SCA and the folio had full sized color plates of several swords.  At 20USD one of the plates from the folio would make a super gift for him. 

When I got it home, I noticed that some sophisticated paper preservation had been done on it.  Checking around, it became obvious that the thing was pretty rare.  The few Libraries  that had cataloged the folio stored it in Special Collection or Rare Book rooms and our copy was complete. 

As it turned out, the most recent auction price for the title had sold for 2500 USD. 

Need I say that our friend did not get the plate as a gift?