Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 82551 times)

Jloreli

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #315 on: July 06, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
$25 turkey fryer set up including propane tank
$5 36 cup coffee urn......brand new!

and two 275 gallon heating oil tanks......FREE!

HorseFreak

« Reply #316 on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
Not exactly a thrift store, but a family member used to work for Disney and they have a cast store where they sell leftover merchandise, furniture and other unneeded items at a huge discount. I've gotten great deals on clothing, blankets and other items. My best deals were a $25 Mickey laptop case for $4, an adult Faline Disney Collection sculpture worth over $200 for $40 and a two cup coffeemaker that was hardly used (but routinely replaced from one of the hotels) for $2.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #317 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
My local thrift is simply awash in my favorite clothing item: knee-length A-line printed cotton skirts. I get, like, at least two every time I step in there. They're just so awesome to have for the summer - put on a fitted T and flip-flops, dun dun DONE!

Last visit I also picked up some cool brand-new Rocket Dog shoes. Love.

We could be twins  ;D That is my summer uniform.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »
My local thrift is simply awash in my favorite clothing item: knee-length A-line printed cotton skirts. I get, like, at least two every time I step in there. They're just so awesome to have for the summer - put on a fitted T and flip-flops, dun dun DONE!

You are going to make me cry. I've been looking for decent skirts for a wedding, and haven't found even one I like. They seem to be an endangered species around here.

On the other hand, I've seen some fabulous trench coats for rock-bottom prices. I think I bought mine for $10 or $15. I wonder what that says about the stores in my area. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #319 on: July 06, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »

Triplets! I've got a dozen. Tee and flip flops for the day, switch out the flip flops for espadrilles and add a funky necklace, and voila! Going out for a drink with the girls. Throw a cardigan over that and its work appropriate.

Amara

« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
Not a thrift store but a swap meet.

I haven't been to one of these in at least *mumble* years but I have been wanting to go and see if they were like I remembered. The local high school grounds have the Saturday one so I popped round at 8:30. Parking was easy since it wasn't too crowded yet. What struck me was the number of sellers who sell apparently new items like clothing, music, movies, shoes, kitchen stuff. Apparently, they get it in Mexico and bring it up here. That wasn't what I was looking for (I wanted to check out the individual families who bring whatever-it-is-they-have-to-get-rid-of) so I bypassed all of them except the kitchen guy. He had a number of new mortar and pestles, the rough gray stone ones. Most were average size, but he had some that were enormous. You could make salsa for fifty in one. Unfortunately, his pricing--he wanted $25 for the small one, which nearly made me choke--was out of line.

Much further on, however, I came across a woman who was putting out household stuff including four old-fashioned ice cream glasses (like the middle one here: http://www.stuartrental.com/sites/default/files/sundaes-2.jpg ). She wanted $6, I wanted to pay $4, and that's what we ended up agreeing on since I was willing to walk away empty handed. Anyway, I got them  home and they are beautiful. The top lip has indents in it and the glass is perfect. I actually think these might be from the 1940s or 1950s.  And I'm looking forward to serving up some ice cream in them!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
Definite score here.  I've really been wanting a corset and Renaissance-style dress for our Ren Fest.  I'm a weird shape though, and was in the process of resigning myself to the fact that it was going to be custom made and cost $$$$$$.  Then, a lady that I know who does costuming for a community theater group, posted on FB that she has a bunch of patterns at her house she's never made and wants to try out.  I PM'd her, and she's willing to make my corset/dress just for the cost of fabric!!  I'm so excited to see her at auditions and figure out all the details!!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »
Definite score here.  I've really been wanting a corset and Renaissance-style dress for our Ren Fest.  I'm a weird shape though, and was in the process of resigning myself to the fact that it was going to be custom made and cost $$$$$$.  Then, a lady that I know who does costuming for a community theater group, posted on FB that she has a bunch of patterns at her house she's never made and wants to try out.  I PM'd her, and she's willing to make my corset/dress just for the cost of fabric!!  I'm so excited to see her at auditions and figure out all the details!!

that's a win win for both of you!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
I responded to an ad on-line, selling knitting stuff.  She was asking $75, which I originally thought was a little steep but then I got the stuff and went through it.

I got a huge bag (garbage bag sized) full of yarn - various colours and textures, some whole balls, some part.  It works out fine for me because I do a lot of hat and mitt sets for charity and I like to make patchwork afghans, too.

And there was a bunch of pattern and how-to books, a bunch of different needles including round ones, stitch holders, crochet hooks, etc.

But the piece de resistance?  About 8 children's Icelandic style sweaters, already knitted.  About 8 little layette sets with hat, sweater, booties, some with matching blankets.  There is one bootie missing but I can knit that up to replace it.  There is another baby blanket and a funky hat.

One of my coworkers is expecting her first grandchild in January so she'll get first pick on the baby stuff.  I'm going to give her one set of her choice and if she wants more, I think I'll ask for $5.  I'm going to take in the sweaters, too, and ask for $5 for those, too.  These sets would easily be $30 at a craft sale so it is a good deal for everyone and I get some of my money back.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
^  It is working out really well!  3 of my coworkers have or are expecting new grandbabies and I've sold all the baby layettes and blankets.  One of them also has older grandkids and will take the rest of the sweaters - I'm just waiting for one person to come back from vacation to see if he wants any for his kids.

So if everything sells, I will get all my money back!  In fact, I might even make $10 or $15 bucks.  And be ahead all the yarn and needles and patterns.

And the seller was just glad to be rid of stuff since she's trying to pack to move.  Win all round, I think.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Outdoor Girl.  I love a win-win anecdote and I really needed that "feel good fix" this morning.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »
Saw this news article and thought of the thread:
http://news.yahoo.com/baseball-cards-ohio-attic-might-fetch-millions-162732574--spt.html

Basically, a family is cleaning out the attic and find several hundred baseball cards in pristine condition worth a small fortune.  In fact, 37 of them are probably each worth more than $500K.  I realize it wasn't found in a thrift store, but it was a lucky inheritance.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
I got the urge to shop today, and I got a beautiful pair of Lily Pulitzer linen capris for $12, and, be still my heart, a stunning pair of black fancy shoes from one of the most expensive places in town for $5. And they are perfect, and look wonderful on.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Oh, happy day for happygrrl! ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Sanity Lost

« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
This weekend a beautiful sable coat at Goodwill for $20. I have to wait for my birthday to actually get it.