Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 104531 times)

Cutenoob

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #330 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:55 AM »
I went to a guy's "Free give away everything" garage, got a bunch of plates for the house and 3 bags of clothes for kids. Not necessarily a "OMWow moment" but I like free.

Reader

« Reply #331 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
Found two pairs of shorts at my local Salvation army for only .69 cents each 2 weekends ago. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
I was able to combine some online sales and a coupon at Lane Bryant to get over $200 worth of stuff for about $85!  YAY!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
And I just scored a pair of capris and two tops from Kohls; original price, for all three, $94.  On sale price, for all three, $47.  Final cost, for all three, plus free shipping? $18.89 - thanks to a 30% coupon, and $20 Kohls cash my friend I'm housesitting for left me.  Cant beat that with a stick!

bluhairfreak

« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
At CAPS 75% off sale I scored a vintage tea set(cups with sandwich plates/saucers) a simple small vage, set of perfume bottles, and an beatiful dancing angel/fairy ornament for 18$

edit to add.  Won a bid to get a BJD that typically cost 500$ new for around 150$ including the shopping service fees and shipping to me. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:50:22 PM by bluhairfreak »

BioformCassie

• My Etsy Store
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
I found a working dehydrating for $8 that normally retails for $60!

Jones

« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
Last week I decided that DD should have a couple "new" shirts for school. She has adequate clothing, but some of it is starting to look worn after the summer, plus I'm tired of seeing her in the same clothes over and over. So we went to the local thrift shop to start the process, found her 5 shirts (different styles, different colors; all name-brands and new looking) for $2 apiece, and left pretty happy.

jmarvellous

« Reply #337 on: August 20, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
For the wedding I was in recently, BF decided he needed to look snappy to match me. We were going to go to the mall and find him something, but we stopped by the Savers thrift store on a whim. And we came out with an $80 pinstriped, slim-fit Nordstrom dress shirt that fits him perfectly for $7 (with a teensy grease stain near the collar that came out in a second! We're guessing it was worn once and stained -- it still had creases), and like-new Express pants for another $7 (about $100 on their website).

We've been looking for a fruit bowl and after we saw a great one walking out of a thrift shop with a $20 tag on it Saturday, were close to getting a $30 wood-veneer one at Target that evening. On Sunday, we stopped by the scariest junk shop around and got a carved wood bowl for $8. Again, not the best deal ever, but I was excited because it was better than anything I'd seen new for twice as much.

Bethczar

« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »
Jmarvellous - I absolutely love Savers! I think over half my clothes(and a large amount of my books) are from there. I fact, I bought our dining room table there. A solid wood table with 2 fold-down leaves for $8! It needs to be refinished, but for now it's fine with a tablecloth.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
I lovelovelove Savers!  I went last Saturday because a coworker gave me two 20% off coupons.  While I was shopping, I saw a friend of mine shopping with 4 of her 10 children.  I gave her one of the 20% off coupons. She said they hadn't been to Savers for years (they live on the far end of the island) and they had something like 3 carts full of clothes.  She really appreciated that 20% off!

I noticed some price inflation since my last visit.  I seldom had to pay more than $10 for any one item of clothing.  This time I bought 3 items marked $12.99 (less the 20% ;D): Two Vanity Fair bras (nude & black) that fit me exactly right, brand new with tags showing their original retail price of $36 each; and One pair of navy blue Banana Republic "leggings" - skinny pants with cargo pockets - brand new with tags showing its original retail price of $54!

I also bought two pair of stretch pants (heather grey and purple) for $4 each (after discount).  I needed new riding pants but they are pricey.  Even the internet clearance sales were over $50 plus S&H.  The stretch pants don't have "wear patches" on the inside of the knee, so they wear out after a couple years.  But since I only spent $4 on them, I don't mind buying another pair every couple years.  I'm wearing the new dress ($8) that matches an earring & bracelet set I already owned, but didn't have much that matched them.  Then there's my new mu'u mu'u ($8) that hugs my curves and looks awesome. :-*

All in all, I spent just over $70 to buy a big bag of clothes that I really needed and they all look great!  SCORE!!
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #340 on: August 22, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »
Grandson #2 scored big today.  He went to the thrift store looking for stuff to make into the Halloween costume he's considering.  And for $8 got a London Fog trench coat that looks like brand-new. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #341 on: August 22, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
Grandson #2 scored big today.  He went to the thrift store looking for stuff to make into the Halloween costume he's considering.  And for $8 got a London Fog trench coat that looks like brand-new.
The Doctor?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #342 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
DD and I went to GoodWill the other day to look for some dance workout tops for her.  She had bought one from a dance shop after being frustrated other places. Any one shirt was over $20.  At GW, we finally found three, plus a pair of cute shorts for her, plus a pair of new comfy wedge heels for me, and an impulse buy large scarf/shawl with a fun print that I wore yesterday and received compliments all day long on it! 

"I feel pretty, oh so pretty.."

Damage done? 

Under $30. 

That is not even close to my best shopping, but add in the scarf compliments and it made my day!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

heartmug

« Reply #343 on: August 22, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
I need a shawl to wear to a country club wedding next month.  I hadn't even thought about looking at thrift stores.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
The Doctor?
Some sort of steampunk thing, last I heard.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.