Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 111676 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Grandson #2 scored big today.  He went to the thrift store looking for stuff to make into the Halloween costume he's considering.  And for $8 got a London Fog trench coat that looks like brand-new.
The Savers store nearest me advertises itself as "Halloween Headquarters."  They move the used stuff over and have a whole Halloween section with brand new, in the package, dirt cheap Halloween costumes.  You know, like the little girls who want to be a Princess and there's a package with tiara, flimsy glitzy costume, and some bling for under $10.  Shoppers can choose between putting something unique together out of used clothes or buying something packaged.

I'm currently wearing my new light grey silk chinese-style short sleeve blouse with long, dark grey pencil skirt and black heels.  All bought at Savers for less than $15 total.  My bus friends told me I looked sharp.  I feel stylish, elegant, and sensible ($).  ;)  IMHO Needless Markup has nothing on Savers. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
Went to a craft store and got two decorative teapots on clearance for 25 cents each.  ;D  8)

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
went to a garage sale a bit ago.

came home with one of those bin-organizer-shelf things for small kids, a twin-size set of Very Hungry Caterpillar sheets (never used, still folded with cardboard) and a never-used Very Hungry Caterpillar baby book

$20

I don't know about the sheets or the baby book, but I know the organizer normally goes for about $70

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »
Heartmug-

When you go to a thrift store for a scarf/shawl, it may not be where you would expect.

I have found great pieces mixed in with bedding and pillow shams, because "Sum One" in the back assumed it was a decorative throw or a sheer curtain. 

And, sometimes, scarves are in lingerie... :o
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

CakeBeret

« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
My sister has been looking for a food vacuum sealer to put up the hundreds of pounds of zucchini she grew this year. :P She got a used one on Craigslist for $60. I've borrowed it a couple times and quite like it.

I ran into the thift store today to grab a book (absolutely love their paperback section) and as I passed an aisle I spotted...a nearly new vacuum sealer. Half price. Ended up being $3.75.

I can't wait to brag to my sister.  ;D
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

heartmug

« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
Heartmug-

When you go to a thrift store for a scarf/shawl, it may not be where you would expect.

I have found great pieces mixed in with bedding and pillow shams, because "Sum One" in the back assumed it was a decorative throw or a sheer curtain. 

And, sometimes, scarves are in lingerie... :o

Good to know!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
My sister has been looking for a food vacuum sealer to put up the hundreds of pounds of zucchini she grew this year. :P
I did this one year.  I didn't just plant zucchini, but several types of summer squash.  I didn't think ahead to how much squash was going to come out of this variety.  I tried freezing the raw squash, but it came out mushy.  I tried parboiling it first, but it came out mushy.  I tried steaming it, but it came out mushy.  No one wanted to eat the "preserved" squash except our dog.  GingerBear was a Golden Retriever mix with severe hip dysplasia, so she couldn't walk far and could not run at all.  She had to stick to a strict diet because extra weight would make her even more crippled.  I got rid of the "preserved" squash by heating it up and mixing it with GB's kibbles to make her think she was getting a filling, hot meal.  Leftover steamed pumpkin was also good for supplementing her kibble: Low calories and rich flavor.

My father used to grow 10 times as much zucchini as our family could eat, even eating it 3 times a day.  I still remember eating squash "pancakes" for breakfast.  :P Our neighbors would see us coming up the front walkway with zucchini and hide behind the kitchen curtains.  Didn't slow us down.  We left "presents" on the doorstep. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Pippen

« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:36 AM »
I'm on it right now. It's a fabulous retro modular lounge suite I brought for $200. It fits the room perfectly. One couch can be rolled up to the other to make a nest for watching movies on. The corner bit has a whatsit for my glass of wine. Ok it cost thousands to get it recovered but we won't talk about that.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
I'm on it right now. It's a fabulous retro modular lounge suite I brought for $200. It fits the room perfectly. One couch can be rolled up to the other to make a nest for watching movies on. The corner bit has a whatsit for my glass of wine. Ok it cost thousands to get it recovered but we won't talk about that.

Hehe - sounds like my couch; it was my grandmothers, so a bit larger, and MUCH heavier and sturdier than most you can get today. Cost: free.  Cost to recover it (paid by mom) about 1500. But I tell myself to BUY something new of the same caliber would be several thousand, so I still came out ahead.

CakeBeret

« Reply #354 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »
My sister has been looking for a food vacuum sealer to put up the hundreds of pounds of zucchini she grew this year. :P
I did this one year.  I didn't just plant zucchini, but several types of summer squash.  I didn't think ahead to how much squash was going to come out of this variety.  I tried freezing the raw squash, but it came out mushy.  I tried parboiling it first, but it came out mushy.  I tried steaming it, but it came out mushy.  No one wanted to eat the "preserved" squash except our dog.  GingerBear was a Golden Retriever mix with severe hip dysplasia, so she couldn't walk far and could not run at all.  She had to stick to a strict diet because extra weight would make her even more crippled.  I got rid of the "preserved" squash by heating it up and mixing it with GB's kibbles to make her think she was getting a filling, hot meal.  Leftover steamed pumpkin was also good for supplementing her kibble: Low calories and rich flavor.

My father used to grow 10 times as much zucchini as our family could eat, even eating it 3 times a day.  I still remember eating squash "pancakes" for breakfast.  :P Our neighbors would see us coming up the front walkway with zucchini and hide behind the kitchen curtains.  Didn't slow us down.  We left "presents" on the doorstep. >:D

Here is the method my sister uses.

Borrow my food processor :P to shred the zucchini. Place between two sheets of paper towels in a colander, and salt the zucchini heavily. Let drain for a couple hours, and then squeeze out all the excess liquid. Then vacuum pack and freeze.

katcheya

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:53:36 AM by katcheya »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #356 on: August 23, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
I need a shawl to wear to a country club wedding next month.  I hadn't even thought about looking at thrift stores.

Your other option could be fabric stores, and then make one (for example loose weaves can have the edge threads pulled out to make a fringe)
NE England

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #357 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
Borrow my food processor :P to shred the zucchini. Place between two sheets of paper towels in a colander, and salt the zucchini heavily. Let drain for a couple hours, and then squeeze out all the excess liquid. Then vacuum pack and freeze.
How does she use the shredded zucchini?  In bread?

My favorite zucchini use is sauteed in olive oil with garlic, diced onions & tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and fresh basil.  My least favorite is stuffed baked zucchini.  :P

Marcus Aurelius

CakeBeret

« Reply #358 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
How does she use the shredded zucchini?  In bread?

My favorite zucchini use is sauteed in olive oil with garlic, diced onions & tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and fresh basil.  My least favorite is stuffed baked zucchini.  :P

Just about anything. Put it in soups or casseroles. Add it to pizza or pasta dishes. Puree and use as a broth/base.

squeakers

« Reply #359 on: August 23, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Went an auction and looked around.  We bought 2 comfy chairs for the living-room, DH bought tons of linens/towels and comforters (1) and then I saw a cute couch I really wanted but figured it would go too high.  It's all stuffy and blue (matching the chairs) with a cute wooden back that is all fancy carved.

Now usually DH does the bidding and I just tell him (sometimes by kicking him  >:D) what I want and how high to go.  This time he left me with the ticket while he went to get our trailer (bought bigger stuff than would fit in the van.)  And that couch was up.  I thought I heard 25$ so flashed my ticket.  Nope.. it was $2.50. Score!

We like buying nice but used furniture because between 3 boys, 4 cats and 2 dogs.. they get trashed. Someday I will have nice furniture.. or an RV (we haven't decided yet exactly what to do come retirement.)

(1) DH buys blankets for the bird's cage to cover him up: bird likes to pull them in and tear them up.  What usually happens: new blankets and comforters brought into the house.. and one by one the boys snag them for their beds.  They each have 3 or 4 regular blankets and 2 or 3 comforters LOL Plus I gave 2 complete comforter/sheets/pillowcases sets away to friends of the oldest boy (the girls had just moved out on their own.)  Then a bunch get put in the camper for camping season.  The bird.. he gets 1  ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin