Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 107576 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
Now usually DH does the bidding and I just tell him (sometimes by kicking him  >:D) what I want and how high to go.  This time he left me with the ticket while he went to get our trailer (bought bigger stuff than would fit in the van.)  And that couch was up.  I thought I heard 25$ so flashed my ticket.  Nope.. it was $2.50. Score!
Did I read that correctly?  You paid two dollars and fifty cents for a couch?!  :o WOW!  I think you just earned the Top Score on this thread! ;)

Do you need to spend $1,500 to have it recovered?  If not, I bow to your awesomely thrifty shopping skills.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Pippen

« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »
Oh and here is one I lost which  am still peeved about years later...

When my parents still had their farm before they retired there was some temporary workers accommodation with this fabulous dining room table in the kitchen. It was enormous and in pretty rough condition but nothing that couldn't be fixed or restored. I always told my dad I wanted it and he was not to do anything with it.

So what did he do. He sold to to someone for $50. Boy was I angry. Not long after we went to an antique fair and low and behold there was an exact copy of the same table, but restored and it was for sale of $7000. Even less happy after that.

squeakers

« Reply #362 on: August 23, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Now usually DH does the bidding and I just tell him (sometimes by kicking him  >:D) what I want and how high to go.  This time he left me with the ticket while he went to get our trailer (bought bigger stuff than would fit in the van.)  And that couch was up.  I thought I heard 25$ so flashed my ticket.  Nope.. it was $2.50. Score!

Did I read that correctly?  You paid two dollars and fifty cents for a couch?!  :o WOW!  I think you just earned the Top Score on this thread! ;)

Do you need to spend $1,500 to have it recovered?  If not, I bow to your awesomely thrifty shopping skills.

Yep.. 2 dollars and fifty cents.  And not a thing wrong with it.   To the point I actually scold the cats for clawing on it.  I don't care if they sleep on it but no shredding.  And the arms are super poofy for watching tv while lying down.  Last couch had stiff arms and the back actually made you lean forward (but it was pretty).
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Bandu

« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
Well, no way I can top a $2.50 sofa, but I'm happy with my thrift score find this past week.

Got a vintage white mink ladies hat and a green felt Stetson Indiana Jones type hat, $5 for both. I was one happy camper!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #364 on: August 24, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »
There's a thrift store/antique store place here that my co-worker and I have been going to a lot. The guy who owns it goes to estate sales and yard sales, buys up tons of stuff, and then prices it pretty cheaply.

In the past month I've bought the following:

A vintage cast iron owl candle lantern. I paid $8 for it. An ebay search revealed that it sells for anywhere from $50 to $120, depending on the shape it's in..mine is in pretty good condition.

A silver plated toothpick holder. Paid $2, worth $50.

A vintage carnival glass toothpick holder. Paid $1.50, worth $30.

A vintage carnival glass compote dish, paid $15, worth $60.

A cast iron lion's head door knocker. Paid $10, worth $80.

A blue carnival glass candy dish. Paid $5, worth $20.

Very little in his shop is priced above $30.00...he does booming business. On sundays, which is the day after he goes to all of the estate sales and stocks his shop, there is a line to get in when it opens.

Maggie

« Reply #365 on: August 24, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
I got a Dooney & Bourke purse and a Liz and Company purse and a cute pair of black peep toe heels for $8.97.  I was very excited!!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
Not thrift, buy at my own store.  we had a cute white denim jacket this spring. I liked it since it was lightweight, and not that stiff.  Orig. price: 109.  Which was outrageous.  marked down to 99, with 50% off. Still too much.  last check: 53.99 with 50% off, and its now residing in my closet!

And today I hit up TJ Maxx.  Got a gorgeous (but King size) quilted coverlet and after doing some asking I think it can be cut down to fit my full size bed.  not a true bargain, still cost me $40, but its periwinkle blues and white, adn reminds me of water.

I also got these cute, tall, shot glasses.  I figured for an after dinner liquor they're perfect. Each one has a differnt color on the bottom, so it sort of radiates up.  Paid 5.99 an saw them on Amazon for 15.99.  And finally, I  got 2 of them, Martha stewart set of treat boxes, with tissues, ribbon, a set of 6 for 3.99.

Emmy

« Reply #367 on: August 27, 2012, 03:48:31 AM »
Several years ago, my parents went to auctions.  Many time they auction off a box filled with random stuff.  My parents won several of those boxes for $1.  Sometimes it was only junk, but often the box was filled with good stuff.  They got a couch, a recliner, and a coffee table for my first apartment for $18.  Everything was in good condition and the couch and recliner were very comfortable.  They got an insane amount of Bumble and Bumble shampoo for $10 about 13 years ago and are still using it today.  They were really shocked to see that brand sell for $26 per small bottle at the drug store.  My parents say there are more people and less good stuff at the auction in recent years so they rarely go.

I like Goodwill and other thrift stores too.  I enjoy the treasure hunting aspect.  I have a 13 month old DD, so I hit up yard sales and second hand stores for her toys.  When I clean they up, they are as good as new.  I even found an working activity table outside of somebody's house with the trash.  It feels good to know how much I saved when I see the price of new toys.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #368 on: September 26, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
I swung by today and got 3 nice short sleeve tees (like new shape, good brands, cute cute), a button down and a basket for $5.00. Then I went to the consignment shop across the street and got 2 pairs of jeans (BR & Gap) for $20. I also got a fabulous pair of vintage shoes for $14, which weren't on my list, but were too gorgeous to pass up.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #369 on: September 26, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Not my best score, but I really do like it--
$50 bells and whistles Keurig

My GoodWill has a weekly live auction of the nicer donated items.  Before the live auction, you can sign a bid in the silent auction book, with the understanding that you may be outbid at the live auction.  Sometimes I write in a bid just to see if I might win, but that rarely happens.

Well, the fifty dollars I bid on a Keurig was the top offered price!

I checked it out at the store, took it home, and we have been enjoying hot tea, cocoa, and coffee for several days now!  It even has a timer to start in the morn, and to shut off at night.

Our cool (well, hot!) new toy!

also, I have yet to use a k-cup.  The filter basket is nice, but we have been using it jsut for the super hot water.
Yes, jsut for that. 

:)

Like I said,not my best thriftscore ever, but we do all enjoy it!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

jmarvellous

« Reply #370 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
I finally found my candle snuffer! I've looked for one at at least 30 sales or store trips, probably more.

Silver. $5.

Given the outrageous prices for silver lately, I'm shocked.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »
Our favorite thrift store, Savers, had a 50% off apparel sale for card holders.  We found many great clothing deals and ended up with two huge bags full for $85.  DH found a pair of Cole Haan Air Morris Wingtip Oxfords (http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=648946&productGroup=648945), brand new - the soles were pristine - for $18.  Did I mention he wears a size 13?  He has a hard time just finding shoes his size, let alone on sale.  When I looked for the link, I discovered that these shoes normally sell for $178.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Adelaide

« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »
I got a pair of Sevens at a thrift store for $4 that normally retail for about $150. They were used, of course, but they fit well. My favorite score is one my mom got at an estate sale. She saw a satin robe still in its inner packaging she thought I might like and picked it up for $5. She isn't a big brand person so she couldn't understand why I was tripping out when I read the Oscar de la Renta tag. :D

Sapphire

« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
Not me, but my friend found a Mulberry Bayswater handbag in a charity shop recently for 25! It is in almost perfect condition and currently retails for 695 - no wonder she snapped it up!

Hillia

« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
Not a brand name, but a lovely warm winter coat with plush lining for $4.  I couldn't believe it...coats in the thrift stores around here run $10-$25, more for real leather, and I think that's a great deal.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools