Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 108618 times)

KB

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #555 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »

Waterlight

« Reply #556 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:59 AM »
I've found a great consignment shop online called Twice Clothes that specializes in "stylish upscale brands":  https://www.liketwice.com/

So far, I've bought there:

A cowl-neck cashmere-blend sweater from Ann Taylor (originally $75) for $12;
A Trina Turk silk blouse (originally $258) for $52;
A pair of J. Jill corduroys (originally $59) for $14.

They ship VERY quickly--I got my items within 2-3 days of ordering--and offer frequent discounts.  And they buy clothes too!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

GreenHall

« Reply #557 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
I've found a great consignment shop online called Twice Clothes that specializes in "stylish upscale brands":  https://www.liketwice.com/

They ship VERY quickly--I got my items within 2-3 days of ordering--and offer frequent discounts.  And they buy clothes too!

1) bookmarked
2) that is an evil evil site....

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #558 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »

1) bookmarked

They only go up to XL....darn.

Oh well, easier to resist temptation if you have to loose a dress size to wear the "new" garment!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GreenHall

« Reply #559 on: June 25, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »

1) bookmarked

I'd say this is bad for my budget, but since my office hovers around or below 70 degrees these days I NEEDED some more work pants - I don't know where else I could have found 3 pair for less than $80, much less the dress and top that is also part of that $80.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #560 on: June 25, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

1) bookmarked

Oh well, easier to resist temptation if you have to loose a dress size to wear the "new" garment!

Same thought here.

norrina

« Reply #561 on: June 25, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

I've bought from them before. I think I found them through eBay. I love that they have the super small Banana Republic and Ann Taylor sizes.

cwm

« Reply #562 on: June 25, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
When I was in high school, I went shopping at consignment shops and thrift stores for a dress for a school dance. I was off school one afternoon and happened across the PERFECT one, but the store didn't usually offer a hold, especially since the day was about to change from one price on consignment to a much cheaper one. I asked if they could hold it aside until 5:00 the next day, which they kindly did. It was still a $40 dress, after all, and I had to check with mom.

I dragged her to the store and she looked at the tag rather than the price. As it turns out, I found a Vera Wang dress that only needed hemming (I'm a short girl) for $40. Hands down the best thing I've ever found. I still have that dress, and once I lose the weight I'm trying to lose, I'll actually fit in it again!

I'm always on the lookout for camera equipment. If I find a cheap enough camera, it's worth it to me to take it home and clean it up and try to resell it.

Amara

« Reply #563 on: June 25, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »

An opportunity waiting to happen ...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #564 on: June 25, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
Salvation Army - nice gym bag for VorGuy to use next month on vacation for his second bag and later for a gym bag - $5.

His old bag has had the zipper pulls start breaking off - so the timing was perfect!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #565 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
Not a thrift score, but work. we have an electronic  board where you can post stuff you have to sell. I was perusing it, and someone had a vintage, Coach purse like the heavier leather ones they used to make. A beautiful chocolate brown color, for $60. My mom bemoans the fact they don't make them like that anymore, so I emailed her the photo and description, and she said YES - so she will have a new bag next time I see her.  Its a Coach Manor bag. and very nice condition, and considering it was probably at least $250 or more originally, quite a steal.

Trogdor

« Reply #566 on: June 26, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
https://www.liketwice.com/

only ship within the USA  :'(

There's a dress in there I'd order in a heartbeat if they shipped to Canada!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #567 on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
Same Salvation Army store as yesterday - but with 25% off purses & such (got the gym bag yesterday because I was afraid that it wouldn't be there today - they are busy on Wednesdays - it's half off on all clothing and 25% off almost everything else). 

Franklin Covey black business/laptop tote bag with one pocket between the straps on each side, pockets with side zippers for expansion (one side is set up for letter sized papers or file folders with two compartments AND the other has cell phone pocket, three credit card holders, two pen holders, a pocket behind the credit card holders, and a large zippered pocket - makeup?), a central padded area for the laptop with three fairly large pockets - possibly for the power adapter, a spare battery, and the like?  not sure).  The straps were falling apart where they'd been carried.  Marked $9.99 and I got it for %7.50.

The lining is in great shape, no noticeable wear to the inside or the bottom - just the straps....

Five feet of black cotton webbing cut & sewn on to replace the straps and it looks great!  Slightly more casual than the previous vinyl  straps perhaps....but a grand total of FIVE compartments/pockets with over a dozen organizing pockets in it.  It's 15 if you count each of the credit card slots as a separate pocket.  It's a lot better looking than my previous "man style" laptop case....gold, black, white, and red striped lining - so easier to see into than the BLACK lining of my other laptop carries, too.

The strapping came from my stash - so it is either "FREE!" or a little over a $1 a foot to replace it.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #568 on: June 26, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »
At one of our local thrift shops I got two pairs of brand-new tags-still-on jeans (one for work, one for everyday other than work) and a hoodie as well as a jacket and a pair of dress pants for Anthony, all for $45.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
Goodwill today had a really well organized laptop bag with all kinds of pockets for stuff - including a CD in one of them, three pens in another, and a bunch of cough drops....but as we have enough BUSINESS laptop bags (for VorGuy, VorSon, or traveling) - I left it behind.

I found a countertop mixer with both bowls, the beaters, and bread hooks - the thing ran when I plugged it in (power strip along the back of the shelf) and for $10 - it came home with me.

So did the tote bag with organizer compartments built t into the bottom of the bag - after I checked to see how my glasses case, cell phone, Nook HD+, wallet, and such fit into them - because I LIKE the idea of being able to find things that are stuck in vertically instead of layered in horizontally - because what I am looking for is ALWAYS in the bottom layer!