Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 108984 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »
The other day I found five dressy work shirts,  two kick around the house shirts, and a nice pair of slacks for under $10.  Most of the shirts would have costs me at least $30 each new,  maybe as much as  $45.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

kudeebee

« Reply #676 on: March 02, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
I get silverware at goodwill for 10 cents each.  Found brand new with tag Lane Bryant $80 pants for $3.99, 2 liz  clairborne brand new with tag blouses for $2.99 each, and a Talbot new with tag sweater for $3.99 last week.  Awhile back got a brand new brita pitcher for $3.00 and new, never read books for dgs for 25 cents.  Also love it when I hit one of the days when my items color tag is on sale!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #677 on: March 03, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »
We're going to Cancun this week (annual trip by The Sweetie's company for top sellers). A trip to two thrift stores got me a long-sleeved linen shirt from L.L. Bean, a kimono-style jacket for the official business dinner, plus a black tank swimsuit for The Sweetie, for under $30.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

gmatoy

« Reply #678 on: March 03, 2014, 07:58:50 PM »
I get silverware at goodwill for 10 cents each.  Found brand new with tag Lane Bryant $80 pants for $3.99, 2 liz  clairborne brand new with tag blouses for $2.99 each, and a Talbot new with tag sweater for $3.99 last week.  Awhile back got a brand new brita pitcher for $3.00 and new, never read books for dgs for 25 cents.  Also love it when I hit one of the days when my items color tag is on sale!

Your Goodwill prices are much better than ours!

norrina

« Reply #679 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:01 PM »
Encouraged by the success of finding DH one decent-fitting suit at our Goodwill, I have continued to go back every few days over the past 2 weeks, and have found him 2 more suits, also $10/each. I also found him a decidedly more expensive but also much nicer suit on clearance at the Banana Republic outlet store, for $85 which was still a great price. All told, after alterations and the dry cleaners, we scored 4 men's suits for less than $150. One suit needed to be hemmed which was $12 at the seamstress, since the original hem was longer on one leg than the other so I wasn't confident I could match the lengths. Another suit needed the pants let out which I was able to take care of myself. Then the 4 thrift store suits needed cleaning, but our cleaners only charges $2.25/item, so that was only $20.

I also found a couple things for me: an Old Navy winter coat, down filled, reversible, for $4 at Goodwill, and a red and white tweed 3/4 sleeve blazer for $16 at Banana Republic.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #680 on: March 04, 2014, 05:49:22 AM »
My DH has lost a substantial amount of weight over the last year, but was complaining he still feels and looks fatter to himself (I thought only women complained about that  ;)).  I realized it was because all his shirts are much, much too big. His pants fit fine because he already had found some smaller ones, but didn't do anything about the shirts.  Last night I basically replaced all his shirts for $15.00.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

BarensMom

« Reply #681 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
My DH has lost a substantial amount of weight over the last year, but was complaining he still feels and looks fatter to himself (I thought only women complained about that  ;)).  I realized it was because all his shirts are much, much too big. His pants fit fine because he already had found some smaller ones, but didn't do anything about the shirts.  Last night I basically replaced all his shirts for $15.00.

Bonus points if you replaced them all in his closet and didn't tell him.  >:D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #682 on: March 04, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »

Bonus points if you replaced them all in his closet and didn't tell him.  >:D

No, I had him try them all on before I washed them.  Most fit, the few that didn't I just re-donated. He's actually wearing one of them now...it looks SO much better.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #683 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
Due to amazing sales and clearances plus coupons, I bought $600 worth of clothing for $200.

Coldwater Creek: Pants, vest, three tanks, two blouses.

Lane Bryant: 4 bras, underwear, a cardigan and two tanks.

My wardrobe is so happy! Some of the underthings I have are 8+ years old.

pwv

« Reply #684 on: March 06, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
I went to Goodwill the other day and paid $4.50 for an Alfred Dunner plus-size suit jacket that regularly goes for $56.00

jmarvellous

« Reply #685 on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »
I had to submit 4 items/lots to a charity auction. I am an unemployed student, and the dollar value of each item had to be far higher than my weekly grocery budget. Ideally, I am actually going to be a beneficiary of the charity -- but I can't be unless I donate items.

The idea is that you donate $300-$500 street value in items and get a $4,000 grant in a few months. Most people were able to get their parents or friends to donate items, but I had to go 100% out of pocket.

The predicted value of the items is assessed based on their value on Amazon.com or similar; of course, generous donors will bid up on popular items. I managed to bargain hunt, spending $97 on major name brand, new merchandise, and wound up with $325 in auction value (a totally realistic estimate). Hopefully, they'll give me that grant!

bluhairfreak

« Reply #686 on: March 07, 2014, 04:40:04 AM »
I actually got these a while back, but didn't realize just how good of a score it was.  At one of my local thrift shops 75% off sales I picked up six of these http://store.corbellsilver.com/products/Goblet-Embossed-Classic.html for 12.50  Now admittedly theyre a bit tanished and looks like the silver may have come off in spots, but still seeing it as a huge deal.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:09:50 AM by bluhairfreak »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #687 on: March 07, 2014, 05:49:23 AM »
I actually got these a while back, but didn't realize just how good of a score it was.  At one of my local thrift shops 75% off sales I picked up six of these http://store.corbellsilver.com/products/Goblet-Embossed-Classic.html for 12.50  Now admittedly theyre a bit tanished and looks like the silver may have coe of and spots, but still seeing it as a huge deal.

They probably just need a really good cleaning.  Awesome find!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #688 on: March 07, 2014, 06:26:58 AM »
Pajamas on clearance at macys. One pair, orig $58, for $8, and two pj pants, each orig. $38 each, one was $9, the other, $5.so I got $134 worth of stuff for $22.

alkira6

« Reply #689 on: March 07, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
Three cardigans at woman within - originally $30 each, with a coupon code that was coded incorrectly, $12 each with free shipping.  The coupon code was via e-mail and should have been for free shipping/free returns.  It went through as 60% off with free shipping.  Customer service let me keep the discount, though I'm pretty sure they fixed that error pronto.

2 maxi dresses at Lane Bryant - 50% off with free shipping.  They were both clearance, so $22 dollars each.