Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 114992 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #690 on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
Three cardigans at woman within - originally $30 each, with a coupon code that was coded incorrectly, $12 each with free shipping.  The coupon code was via e-mail and should have been for free shipping/free returns.  It went through as 60% off with free shipping.  Customer service let me keep the discount, though I'm pretty sure they fixed that error pronto.

2 maxi dresses at Lane Bryant - 50% off with free shipping.  They were both clearance, so $22 dollars each.

This reminded me of a dress I got on clearance at Kohls; Dana Buchman, marked down to $22 or thereabouts, plus whatever coupon I had at the time. I think it ended up being about $17. A nice, dressy, jersey dress, in a pretty pattern, AND flattering. Thinking of wearing it to my HS reunion in the  fall, although by that time, it may be too large!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #691 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
A friend has a kiln he can no longer use or store. We are getting it. It is worth $3000+.

Amara

« Reply #692 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »
Last weekend I found an ad on CraigsList for a headboard (the one on the upper left but in a lovely ivory color: ( http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Zz8hgSqapg4/TgvgVGwlzYI/AAAAAAAADAo/m3v9xZ1ID54/s640/upholstered-headboard1.jpg ). Last night they delivered it and I am thrilled. For $100 I got a queen-size one that sells for at least $300. And it's in perfect condition.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #693 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »
I knew I was going to be near a book signing for a historical book by a former politician on Saturday.  When I was running errands on Tuesday, before I left for my trip, I saw this man's book in the clearance bin of my local Barnes and Noble.  Spent about $5, including tax.  While I was at the book signing, the table was loaded down with the very same book (and others), all hard cover, all for about $30.  A $5 hard cover, personally autographed book is going to look great in my future library!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #694 on: March 10, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »
Managed to snag a very nice raincoat.  It's stylish, waterproof, nicely lined and well-equipped with pockets for 7 USD.  I'm very pleased with myself. 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #695 on: March 15, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
I went to a charity auction last night.  There were around 80 lots, things ranging from massage vouchers, tools, expensive electronics, original paintings and framed photographs.

The prices things went for were ridiculously low... 

I scored a market umbrella, 48" ceiling fan, an arc welder (xmas gift for friend), giant panda and probably 6 (can't remember, had a couple of reds during the auction!) oil paintings.  I also won a signed motor racing shirt, but ended up trading it with a lovely young lady that really wanted it for her father.  There may have been a few other things as well - it was a good red...  Total spent?  $520.  About the value of one of the paintings, which are by a recognised local artist.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #696 on: March 16, 2014, 04:39:47 AM »
An $800 AUD sewing machine that I got for $150. In perfect working condition. This little beauty.

It's a total upgrade on the one I'd been using for the last few years.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:42:50 AM by Mad Goat Woman »

Captains Flat, Australia

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #697 on: March 16, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
A family-owned hardware store in my neighborhood is closing down...not a tragedy as they're just retiring and the kids have good jobs and no desire to run a retail establishment.

Anyhoo, I was stocking up on plumbing bits, hinges and hardware at 75% off and wandered through their camping aisle. They had one pair of Altima jungle boots left...which just happened to be my size. How could I not buy them?

$24 for big stompy boots that retail at $90!

cattlekid

« Reply #698 on: March 16, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
Not too exciting yesterday at the local Goodwill but decent enough....

A pink Talbots short sleeved sweater that will be good for work once the temps warm up
A dark pink J. Jill long sleeved casual top that will be perfect with jeans or yoga pants on the weekends

Grand total was $7.36 with tax   ;D

Specky

« Reply #699 on: March 16, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Gah!  I'm totally jealous of you all and your wonderful thrift store finds.  I have friends in the north part of our county who always score really good finds.  We get all enthusiastic, hit the local thrift stores, and....junk.  My friend gets name brand clothing that looks new, crafting supplies, artwork, china, pottery, appliances, all kinds of things.  We can find:  clothes with the labels cut out, worn and stained clothing, long dresses missing patches of sequins/lace, never any natural fibers (my friend scores linen, cotton, wool, silk), t-shirts with rude logos, small appliances missing cords, bent forks, and all the odds and ends that wouldn't sell at a garage sale.

I finally asked someone and they told me that the stores sort donations and channel the donations to different stores based on the perception of the demographics.  So, better items and clothing goes to the stores in the north part of the county, and all the "other" stuff comes to our local stores.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:22 AM »
The ultimate find (not mine, unfortunately): http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140319/DACKV5D02.html

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #701 on: March 21, 2014, 06:18:43 AM »
let's see if I can rattle it all off without forgetting anything

The local Red Cross Op Shop had a big sale on kids' clothes - must have had a LOT donated at the end of summer, all our cooler weather seems to have kicked in over the last few weeks.

2x Esprit tops
3x Sprout tops
2x blue jeans
1x dark blue cargo pants
2x winter jackets
4x pairs of shoes
5x short sleeved onesies (that BabyDrifter wears under her pyjamas to give her an extra layer of warmth in the winter)

=$15. It was buy two get one free, and most items were about 50c each. All of this is size 1 or size 2, and twenty minutes later I went to Myer (department store) and saw that the Sprout tops are *current season* and still stickered at $8 or $14 each!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

kymom3

« Reply #702 on: March 21, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
I haven't found much at all recently at any of our local Goodwill's--boo!

But last week there was an article in our local paper from someone high up in the Goodwill hierarchy begging people to donate.  He said because our winter has been so awful people aren't getting out and donating like they usually do.

I hope it picks up soon.  ;D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #703 on: March 21, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
I finally asked someone and they told me that the stores sort donations and channel the donations to different stores based on the perception of the demographics.  So, better items and clothing goes to the stores in the north part of the county, and all the "other" stuff comes to our local stores.

This can often happen- it varies, but you can often find better quality items in more affluent areas. It varies though.
NE England

alkira6

« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

This can often happen- it varies, but you can often find better quality items in more affluent areas. It varies though.

Not here! You have to wade through the crap at each and every one of the GW stores in my town.  They do intake all over the city and just cram stuff onto the trucks to get it out of processing.  Now, I have found some awesome items, but it is a job to get them.  Some things you have to take a chance on that you can clean/repair them.  They have also started selling most of their nice items on ebay.  I don't blame them, more money for the charity, but it does burn just a little to see bins of really nice things labeled "ebay" and know that you have no chance at them.