Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 94172 times)

Emmy

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #720 on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »
Ann Taylor cropped pants

Express forest green short sleeve sweater

Bohemian style tunic with beads, the brand was not one I recognized, but still a nice looking shirt.

The board game Cranium.

All for $8.50

alkira6

« Reply #721 on: April 24, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »
Not exactly thrift, but I just bought 5 sarees on eBay for less than $100. One was ridiculously beaded and embroidered wedding saree and three were printed cotton that I am going to use to make dresses out of.  All of them came with the blouse piece still attached and 3 came with unsewn beaded/embroidered falls.

I also lucked out on a "scrap" lot of 25 saree remnants in all patterns. Each piece is silk and a little over a yard long. I have no idea what I am going to use them for, but at $13 with shipping included I don't feel like I need a purpose for them.  ;D

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #722 on: April 24, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »
At the HoH Restore I found two brand new sets of beds (frame, box spring, mattress) for $75/set. We saved at least $250 from what we would have spent at another store.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
Fingers crossed for me -- I'm heading to GoodWill on my lunch.  Tomorrow, I'm going to a real, live steeplechase.  I asked a neighbor if I could wear a skort.  I guess everyone wears sundresses.

And, I am bummed to report that I will be missing the big communal yard sales at all the neighborhoods because of my trip to the horsies.  I'm still really new to the area, so I was kind of surprised driving home from work on Tuesday, to see banners out in front of big neighborhoods advertising their community yard sales are ALL this weekend.  It's going on the calendar for next year. (I live in an area with a lot of out of state retirees.  Of course, you downsize before you move, but once in your new house, you sometimes have nice pieces of furniture that still don't quite fit in, right?)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

darling

« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »
If anyone on here collects vintage Pyrex, you will know why I ran down the aisle to get this set...

Stopped into Goodwill on a whim, after having a really stressful day at work last week. As I rounded the corner into housewares, I spotted a familiar white bowl with birds on it... I practically ran over to it, only to discover that it was the 3-set of Friendship mixing bowls! $14.99! All pieces were in great shape, including the red-orange bowl (the red bowls for this and the primary set are the most useful size, so they get banged up).

For those who may not be familiar with vintage Pyrex, this set can sell for $60 in an antique store, as it is very popular. This is my favorite pattern, and I've been looking for these bowls since pretty much day one, because that's the set my mom had. I was so giddy that I practically ran to the checkout, and was very careful the whole drive home.  ;D

Now I just need to find the optional orange 4-qt bowl that was sold separately!

http://www.pyrexlove.com/friendship-bird-red-orange-mixing-bowl-400-series/glassware/

norrina

« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
I don't usually buy shoes at the thrift stores, but yesterday I was going to be doing a lot of walking after work and halfway through the day realized my shoes weren't the most comfortable after all, so I popped in hoping to find something cheap for a one-time-use. I didn't have any luck (a ladies 5 1/2 is not an easy size to find), but as I was rummaging I noticed a pair of deep red Anne Klein all-leather kitten heels. They were the type of shoe that I would never pay retail price for because the color isn't "versatile", but at the $6.99 the thrift store was asking I could justify that price, and they were in great shape.

Added bonus, when I checked out I learned that yesterday was half-price shoe day, so with tax I paid $3.80 for a $60-$70 pair of shoes.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #726 on: April 25, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
Fingers crossed for me -- I'm heading to GoodWill on my lunch.  Tomorrow, I'm going to a real, live steeplechase. I guess everyone wears sundresses.

$5 for a blue linen blend dress that will look lovely with my straw hat.  Too bad I just missed out on a pair of ankle boots that matched!  I'll be in black flats unless I come up with a better idea. (Heels are vehemently not recommended.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

gmatoy

« Reply #727 on: April 25, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »
A local children's resale store has a once a month sale. 25 cents per item. I spent $34 and got a lot of gently used clothes and that included a very good brand name girl's coat. My younger granddaughter is going to love it! I buy a lot of stretch velour clothes to cut up and make doll clothes. So it was a very good day!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #728 on: April 25, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
My two local GoodWills do not have discount days.  Bummer.

There are two other shops that do, but the are a longer drive so I do not go even once a month. 

But, tomorrow, I am heading out with a friend for Well-Labeled Nice Large Neighborhood Yard Sales.  I have little need for anything, but I am sure I will get some deals!  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #729 on: April 26, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
I'm jealous.  Up here in the Pacific Northwest the yard sales don't start in earnest until summer, which is the only time of year it stops raining long enough to set things up.  The last few sales I've been to haven't been that impressive; there are a lot of good sales around here for kids' clothes and toys, but this isn't something I have a need of so I give those a miss. 

However...talk about finding something in a place you don't expect:  Earlier today I went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription.  On my way to the cash register I passed a rack covered in scarves that are large enough to be used as shawls but are still wonderfully silky and filmy, and I saw a beautiful black and white scarf that will go with 75% of my wardrobe.  With my store discount I paid $6 for it. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #730 on: April 28, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »
If anyone on here collects vintage Pyrex, you will know why I ran down the aisle to get this set...

Stopped into Goodwill on a whim, after having a really stressful day at work last week. As I rounded the corner into housewares, I spotted a familiar white bowl with birds on it... I practically ran over to it, only to discover that it was the 3-set of Friendship mixing bowls! $14.99! All pieces were in great shape, including the red-orange bowl (the red bowls for this and the primary set are the most useful size, so they get banged up).

For those who may not be familiar with vintage Pyrex, this set can sell for $60 in an antique store, as it is very popular. This is my favorite pattern, and I've been looking for these bowls since pretty much day one, because that's the set my mom had. I was so giddy that I practically ran to the checkout, and was very careful the whole drive home.  ;D

Now I just need to find the optional orange 4-qt bowl that was sold separately!

http://www.pyrexlove.com/friendship-bird-red-orange-mixing-bowl-400-series/glassware/

I don't collect it, but I have bought some off of ebay, so I get the giddy feeling!!!  I would love to find (i have one of the four) a set of the primary color mixing bows. My mom had them, and I have the smallest, the blue, but its scratched and faded. I KNOW they're in high demand, but maybe someday.

My fave from ebay is a flat, divided serving dish, yellow, with a sunflower top. I don't use it much, but its so pretty and retro! it comes out on holidays.
like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121305267189?lpid=82

heartmug

« Reply #731 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »
I didn't know that about Pyrex!  I learn something new everyday. 
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #732 on: April 30, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
I'm cheating as these aren't thrift scores, but bargains.

Macy's clearance rack - a black lightweight flyaway cardi with white stitcing all over it. $12 and I was kind of unsure. Wore it the other day, and got tons of compliments.

today's Macy's clearance item: flyway cardi in gray, with ruffles. its actually pjs, but comfy, and as it chilly here today, perfect.

Kohls: 2 dresses; a Dana Buchman ponte knit and Vera Wang slinky black dress, and pair of Nike sneakers - yes, I had Kohls cash, but with that and a coupon, $60 for all 3.

daen

« Reply #733 on: April 30, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »
Brown silk blazer with cream embroidery and short sleeves. Tagged at $3.25, and with the tag being the discount colour that day, paid a total of 1.95 for it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #734 on: May 02, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
I am buying textbooks used, usually an edition older than the current edition.

For summer: 4 of the 5 required. $33 including shipping and rented the fifth for $18, where the university bookstore would have charged me $150 for used and rentals.

For fall: I need 7 books. I found 6 used for $83 including shipping and one of my colleagues wrote the seventh and lent me his copy.  ;D Would have been $700 from the bookstore.

We had a major failing of our master bath mat, with the rubber leaving the mat and adhering to the floor. I went to Ross and bought one for $10 that does not have a rubber backing. I found a skull and crossed bones mug for $4 and I love it. I bought some extra towels in our colors and didn't find any clothes I liked.

I did go to Cracker Barrel for brunch and found two blouses on clearance that I snapped up. I wore them both this week and got a lot of complements.