Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 112655 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #735 on: May 04, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
Hit Savers and Goodwill today, and came out with the following:
2 pairs of flats for work
2 dresses (even if not my favorite pattern or color)
3 blouses
3 skirts
3 pairs of shorts for DH
all for $73 total

I have a Savers and a giant Goodwill equidistant from my house, so when I'm on the prowl I hit both.  Savers gets extra points for sorting the clothes by size and type, which saves time, but sometimes their prices are a bit higher than Goodwill.  They're still way under retail, though.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #736 on: May 04, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
Yeah - the closest Goodwill just rearranged things three months ago.  The plus size womens clothing is where the maternity clothes used to be, and the other way around.  Dresses are hung with dresses - no sizing.

Going through the plus size means I find really cute size 8 maternity clothes that won't fit...but going through the maternity clothes may not turn up anything larger than an XL.

I'm not sure how well some of the workers can read...or if they are just going on auto-pilot from the way that they've been arranging things for the last three years (at least, that's how long since I started shopping there and they had been hanging things the original way around in the plus & maternity sections back then, at least long enough that I didn't find maternity clothes in the plus size THEN). 

They have more purses and better pricing on the mid range purses - the local Salvation Army has either had their donations drop or they're sorting & distributing differently.  The number of purses of any quality has dropped to 1/4 the former amount & the prices have gone up.  I look at the Goodwill for purses first and anything for Renaissance Festival garb on Wednesdays at the Salvation Army (all clothing is 50% off).  I did find two skirts last week...and the Coach purse that I mentioned in an earlier post about two weeks before that. 

But I'm not finding anything that will work for a leather pouch on one hip...I'm afraid that if I try to take an hour out to make something simple very quickly, it will turn into a major time sucking hassle and I'll be hand finishing it on the plane or something.  I wonder if a three inch leather needle would get through the security check?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #737 on: May 05, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Hit three big subdivision garage sales this weekend:

2 linen hand-embroidered cloth napkins - $2  (with a cute-to-me religious nightlight thrown in for free)
1 bronze lamp (no shade) - $2
1 little porcelain pin - $1
Pin:http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/ad4d/1966/ad4d1966ced7796d6f0adabec643b62f929b66d9.jpg

I was able to find the identical pin on Ebay for $40 -- and I'm wearing it today -- 3 compliments on it.  Whoot!!!!!

Favorite items for sale -- I didn't ask the price but someone had out a 'vintage' Dell C series laptop.  Also, a ton of 10 year old textbooks -- aside from crafting, I couldn't think of a reason to purchase them.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Cherry91

« Reply #738 on: May 06, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
I found a Karen Millen mac for 15 in my favourite charity shop yesterday. It's lightweight but waterproof, so it'll be perfect for a UK spring.

I also found a cute top and a dress, my total spend was just under 25.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
They aren't super cheap, but I have a slight fear when purchasing used electronics, so my two Tiffany style bronze torchieres for my office are $95 each. Will be so much better for my eyes than these harsh fluorescent lights.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #740 on: May 07, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
I would love to find (i have one of the four) a set of the primary color mixing bows. My mom had them, and I have the smallest, the blue, but its scratched and faded. I KNOW they're in high demand, but maybe someday.

My fave from ebay is a flat, divided serving dish, yellow, with a sunflower top. I don't use it much, but its so pretty and retro! it comes out on holidays.
like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121305267189?lpid=82

My favorite technique for getting good deals on Pyrex on ebay is to search for auctions within easy driving distance (usually 25 miles).  When something I want comes up, I email the seller to see if an in-person pick up is possible.  I got my set of pimary color bowls for about $20 that way because I didn't have to pay shipping. Granted, they're not flawless, but they are still pretty and are useable.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #741 on: May 07, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
Dresses are hung with dresses - no sizing.

This is why I won't shop for clothes at my Goodwill. They hang all the red blouses together. It takes forever to find something that would fit me.

I don't know about you, but I don't go into a thrift store thinking, "Oh, I need a red blouse."
   I go in there thinking, "I wonder what they have that will fit me, that I might like?"

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #742 on: May 07, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »

This is why I won't shop for clothes at my Goodwill. They hang all the red blouses together. It takes forever to find something that would fit me.

I don't know about you, but I don't go into a thrift store thinking, "Oh, I need a red blouse."
   I go in there thinking, "I wonder what they have that will fit me, that I might like?"

That's how mine hangs things - dresses by ROY G BIV.  I'm always shocked at how insanely busy the one near my office is!  (High end neighborhood = good stuff)  In spite of most stuff not fitting me, it's still worth the dig if you have time.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

daen

« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »

There was a thrift store I frequented at one point that sorted by colour, class,  and size. So there would be a black tops rack, a black pants rack, and a black dresses/skirts rack, and each of those would be sorted by size as well. Less ubiquitous colours, like purple, would have a single purple items rack, with all the purple items of one size put together.

I found it quite convenient, but my thought process on walking into the thrift store was along the lines of "Hey, green is a nice colour, and I could use more green. Wonder what they've got?"

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
When I thrift, I scan the racks looking first at fabric (color/pattern/texture). If I see a fabric I like, I'll pull it to see what the style/size is.

I've learned the hard way that no matter what the style is, if I don't really like the fabric, I'll end up not wearing it in the long run.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #745 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
I would love to find (i have one of the four) a set of the primary color mixing bows. My mom had them, and I have the smallest, the blue, but its scratched and faded. I KNOW they're in high demand, but maybe someday.

My fave from ebay is a flat, divided serving dish, yellow, with a sunflower top. I don't use it much, but its so pretty and retro! it comes out on holidays.
like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121305267189?lpid=82

My favorite technique for getting good deals on Pyrex on ebay is to search for auctions within easy driving distance (usually 25 miles).  When something I want comes up, I email the seller to see if an in-person pick up is possible.  I got my set of pimary color bowls for about $20 that way because I didn't have to pay shipping. Granted, they're not flawless, but they are still pretty and are useable.

Hmm. good idea. never though of that! i don't care so much about condition, i will USE them, but I remember learing to cook and bake, and my mom had them. so its all about nostalgia

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
Oh, boy!  Today I popped into the thrift store and immediately spotted 2 pretty decorated ceramic spheres, about 4 inches in diameter.  I walked right to them found they were $3 apiece.  Of course I bought them! 
I had never seen ceramic spheres of this size.  I know they make big ones for gardens but these were unusual to me.  I looked online and found that they are available (I live under a rock, I guess).  It felt magical to find them because they were so new to my eyes.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bandu

« Reply #747 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
At a garage sale today, I got a six-foot long, solid oak bench that used to be in my county courthouse, for US$50. I am beyond pleased.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #748 on: June 28, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
A folded two level table at the local Goodwill was labeled as an "eating table" and cost $20.

The cut out on it matched my second sewing machine (eyeballed it - I feel good that it was a perfect fit) and I knew that it was a portable sewing table, not an "eating table".  I had to run get cash from VorGuy as their credit card machine was down, for some reason.

It might have had to do with the construction going on to open a wall into the unit next door, expanding their floor space by over a third...they didn't say exactly what was going on, though.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bandu

« Reply #749 on: June 29, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »
A folded two level table at the local Goodwill was labeled as an "eating table" and cost $20.

The cut out on it matched my second sewing machine (eyeballed it - I feel good that it was a perfect fit) and I knew that it was a portable sewing table, not an "eating table".  I had to run get cash from VorGuy as their credit card machine was down, for some reason.

It might have had to do with the construction going on to open a wall into the unit next door, expanding their floor space by over a third...they didn't say exactly what was going on, though.

This makes me giggle. What did they think the cutout was for? A place to deposit your leftovers/paper plates?