Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 98354 times)

deadbody

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #765 on: July 07, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
I got a copy of "Firestarter" by Stephen King in german for 99 cents.

I'm a big stephen king fan, and I took german in college (many moons ago) so it was doublepluscool

veryfluffy

« Reply #766 on: July 08, 2014, 04:43:05 AM »
I just got a virtually brand new toaster overn, in a "retro" style that matches my kitchen, at a car boot sale for 5 (retail price new 70). I haven't got a lot of spare counter space -- and the best part is it fits perfectly onto the shelf on my kitchen trolley.

Toaster ovens aren't all that popular here, but I've missed having one to heat up croissants or leftover pizza quickly and without bunging on my huge electric oven for 20 minutes.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #767 on: July 08, 2014, 06:36:04 AM »
I got my DH several really nice shirts and myself a few shirts and a nice jacket for under $20. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #768 on: July 08, 2014, 07:25:13 AM »
I'm trying to buy things for the condo, starting at the thrifts.  Yesterday at Goodwill, I found:

A very old-looking (but not broken) white cabinet with blue flowers painted on it, with a glass door and two shelves.  It was far too cute to pass up, and two people tried to make trades for it!
A lamp with a blue shade in the same color as the cabinet flowers
A basket with a handle in the same pattern as the metalwork on our front screen door, and in our welcome mat
An end table for my son's room-a little rickety, but it works

Last week, we bought a rug for the entryway,which is actually rather spacious.  The cabinet, lamp, and basket will live there (the basket for mail or things going out), and I just have to find a small bench or chair so it's easier to get our shoes on, and the entryway is done  ;D.

Total: $60

norrina

« Reply #769 on: July 08, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
I've been half-heartedly looking for a handbag/tote that is small enough to use day-to-day but roomy enough to hold a file or two when I go to court. I used to have a Franklin Covey bag that was perfect, but I managed to get a grease stain on it that won't come out, so now I'm reluctant to spend too much money on its replacement since I'll probably just destroy it anyhow.

Today I popped into Goodwill on a whim, and noticed that they had TWO bags that were both perfect. One is an oversized handbag (Ann Taylor LOFT, black leather with white stitching), the other is more of a tote (no designer label, black faux-leather) that I can use when my files are too big for the handbag. With my Goodwill card points I paid $10.48 for both bags and a sexy little sweater dress that I think DH is going to appreciate.

bluhairfreak

« Reply #770 on: July 15, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
So I collect these expensive ball-jointed dolls and one of the challenges is finding furniture that goes with them.  Recently at the CAP thrift store I found which is a perfect doll sized dresser for 7.50.  As a bonus, it's also a music box.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #771 on: July 15, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
My friend's daughter's love making their own clothes and two of them had a birthday last week.  I was despairing about what to buy them when I came across this today.

http://www.uksewing.com/products/diana-sewing-dummy-a

I paid 30 for it  :D

I'd love something like this, except that I'm large sized so I'd have to get creative to make it fit. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #772 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »
Two maxi skirts, one white and one purple for $11 each. Two dress jackets for $10 each.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #773 on: July 15, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
They make dressmaker's dummies in larger sizes...they may cost more.

Or you can take a roll of quilt batting and a little hair dressing/sports wrap tape - the kind that sticks to itself, not other things.

Get a dummy that the shoulders are the same size as you from above the bust - the rest can be padded with one or more layers of the batting, held in place with the tape, to be "your size".

Cutting a series of pads & using a small one at the bottom, then larger ones on top of it (less chance of ridges showing), until you get to a point where it is ever so slightly larger & fluffier.  Make a very tailored fitting shell that fits you like a glove - with a zipper up the center back (avoid pinning into zipper teeth by putting it there) and zip it onto the dummy - it will slightly compact the batting to firm it up & the fully padded form will not show ridges. 

Threads magazine (I forget the issue) has had instructions on how to do it, with photos, at least once - even instructions on how to make three different kinds of personal duplicates using various techniques (don't have access to my copies - paper or DVD, as I'm on "vacation" and VorGuy seems to that reading about sewing wouldn't be relaxing enough). 

My sewing dummy at home is a soft foam dummy with a zippered cover - bought from a thrift shop!  The zippered cover is supposed to be easily tailored as my body changes...

Why does it take longer to change the dummy's size than it does to change mine?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #774 on: July 15, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »
Not sure if this counts but I'm posting it anyway. Recently on Freecycle someone was giving away a three piece leather furniture set, all of which recline. We picked them up! They are nicer than the leather furniture we found at the thrift store and paid $200 for, so that set is going to the basement.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #775 on: July 18, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
Went to a garage sale yesterday and bought 4 tubs of baby clothes for $100.  She kept the tubs, so it worked out to 6 kitchen sized trash bags.  Got it home and sorted it out, and if the seasons match up (her son was born in September, mine is due in November but is measuring big) then I won't have to buy any clothes - not even socks - until he gets past the 12 month size.

gmatoy

« Reply #776 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
Went to a garage sale yesterday and bought 4 tubs of baby clothes for $100.  She kept the tubs, so it worked out to 6 kitchen sized trash bags.  Got it home and sorted it out, and if the seasons match up (her son was born in September, mine is due in November but is measuring big) then I won't have to buy any clothes - not even socks - until he gets past the 12 month size.
That sounds like a great buy! Babies go (and grow) through clothes so fast! Even if you get clothes as gifts, the first few months are so exhausting that not having to do laundry all the time will be wonderful!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:39:43 PM by gmatoy »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #777 on: July 19, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »
Two maxi skirts, one white and one purple for $11 each. Two dress jackets for $10 each.

One like the white in aqua for $11 and a purple camisole for $4.

alkira6

« Reply #778 on: July 19, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
Local Goodwill - 2 drawer filing cabinet, new in the box for $20, a solid wood wine rack with a wine glass holder for $18, and a bed side table that looks brand new for $5, also solid wood.

I bought the filing cabinet for my classroom and I'm going back to see if I can find a few things to help organize better. They had a surprising amount of new/nearly new office furniture and supplies, I just ran out of money while I was there.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #779 on: July 19, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »
I bought a Darth Vader sprinkler and a seed spreader at the thrift shop on base. Best $30 I've spent in a while.  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-