Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 111592 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #795 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
Okay, how many people Googled Darth Vader Lawn Sprinkler?

*raises hand*

I did... just to read the Amazon reviews  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #796 on: July 22, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
There were no reviews on the listing I saw...maybe I should check eBay...?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #797 on: July 22, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
It's cheaper on eBay....well, one listing is.  Still no reviews...

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #798 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
From my favorite secondhand shop yesterday:

Solid wood 1930s era folding chair that had belonged to a now-defunct funeral home. $3.99
Two antique brass toasting forks. One with a devil on top, one with an owl. $1.50 apiece
Antique big copper and brass coal scuttle with a delft china bead on the handle. $8.00
Vintage cast iron wall-mounted matchstick holder. $1.00
Small cast iron cauldron. $1.00
Vintage glass spiderweb pattern whiskey bottle. $4.00

I looked up all the things I'd bought (barring the cauldron) to see what they're worth. Looks like the chair would sell for around $50, the toasting forks for $20 apiece, the matchstick holder for $45, the coal scuttle for around $40. Couldn't find a match for the bottle, though. Still, I'd say I had a pretty good haul!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #799 on: August 12, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Yesterday I went to drop things off at the thrift store and saw an adorable little aluminum coffee pot.  It was like the old perc pots but shorter and squat looking.  It was 75 cents and I snatched it up to use as a planter.  Then we went to the succulent shop to get a plant for it.  While I was there I bought a plant, of course, and then noticed a big chicken planter.  It was old and beat up looking, and appeared to be made from some kind of cement (actually it's resin, just made to look that way).  I fell in love with that, so I got it and also a plant for it.  Then I had the lady re-pot some of the plants because my thumb is purple.   I hate to tell  you what my little coffee pot ended up costing.  Good thing I was in the market for some house plants. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #800 on: August 12, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »
I needed a new briefcase that will hold my reference books for work. Mine came from NY but the handle broke and no one can fix it for me. I found a beautiful blue real leather briefcase with fancy locking system and extra holder for a laptop for just 15, tags still on it.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #801 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:37 PM »
Yesterday, from the NextTownOver consignment shop, for $10.60, I bought a wooden TV tray and a RevereWare 2 quart saucepan(no lid).
--------------------------
MyTown consignment shop is having an End Of Summer Sale. The items with blue or dark pink tags are 50% off, and everything else is $1 each.

For $17and change, this is what I bought today:

a small turquoise glass bowl, a black Carnival glass shallow bowl, a hot pink mixed drink plastic goblet from the Carnival cruise line, a 2-quart plastic Tupperware-type dry noodle storage container, a small sturdy suitcase (for toiletries), a necklace and earring set in black Carnival glass color, a very small Samsonite suitcase, 4 purses(each a different style, and 2 basic tote bags.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #802 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
Office chair with arms, inclines backwards, and raises & lowers with a lever - in pretty good shape for $11.  It's been steam cleaned & allowed to dry and is in the office (previous chair is in the sewing room).  New office chairs run around $80 to $100 - although with the back-to-school sales, there are a lot of "50% off" banners in the ads!

I found a third Coach purse for $25 but made a tactical error & hung it back on the rack while I "thought about it".  It was gone when I got back to the rack about ten or fifteen minutes later....

Oh well, I don't need another black leather purse...really, I don't.  I just want a Coach purse so I don't feel so bad about getting rid of the other black leather purses that aren't Coach purses. 

I do have a dark brown leather Coach purse - so I do have a good option when I need a good quality leather purse....I just don't wear much that goes well with dark brown leather....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:56:46 PM by VorFemme »

SDG31000

« Reply #803 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:50 AM »
One of the charity shops in my local town is closing down, so everything is reduced to 49p. 

I got 2 long sleeved tops, a red loose knit jumper, a pair of jeans, a grey cardigan and a Build the inside of the TARDIS book for 5 as I told them to keep the change.

gmatoy

« Reply #804 on: August 13, 2014, 11:40:09 PM »
yesterday I went to one of our local Goodwill stores and found an 18 inch doll with strawberry blonde hair and the sweetest face for only $3.99. What makes that perfect is that we had just donated the last doll I got to a local charity, the Toy Rescue Mission. I make a wardrobe for the doll and donate them as a set.

I was so happy to find one so soon. Last time I looked for several months to find one that was gently used.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #805 on: August 13, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »
A solid oak chair for our foyer-$5.

Ironically, a few days later I bought a dining room set from my hairdresser, and the chairs for that very nearly match the foyer chair.  That dining room set (table, 6 chairs, and a hutch) plus a dresser, aren't really "thrift", but she paid $3800 for all of that and I bought it for $1450.  All solid wood.

otterwoman

« Reply #806 on: August 14, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
I stopped at a yard sale today. I picked up a heavy link bracelet, a bit grungy, for 10 cents.
Cleaned it up at home, it's sterling silver. Now it gleams!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #807 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
I stopped at a yard sale today. I picked up a heavy link bracelet, a bit grungy, for 10 cents.
Cleaned it up at home, it's sterling silver. Now it gleams!
What a find!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #808 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »
$3 wine rack at goodwill, now sits on top of the fridge, holding all the boxes of  baggies, foil & parchment paper that had been stacked willy-nilly.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #809 on: August 15, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »
$3 wine rack at goodwill, now sits on top of the fridge, holding all the boxes of  baggies, foil & parchment paper that had been stacked willy-nilly.
OH that is a GREAT idea! I have a cheap IKEA wine rack that hasn't yet come out of its' box, as well as five or ten rolls of stuff like that which is all stacked on or beside my microwave. I think I have a new use for the cheap wine rack! Great tip!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,