Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 105366 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #825 on: August 20, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
For 99 cents, this magnificently awful painting (about 8x0 inches):

Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #826 on: August 20, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »

Ms. Cellany, surely you could have negotiated a bit lower a price!  >:D
Formerly Mrs.Bart

darling

« Reply #827 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

;D That is so epically awful, and amazing!

Amara

« Reply #828 on: August 20, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »

That is absolutely perfect for the Christmas gift exchange at the office!

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #829 on: August 20, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »

;D That is so epically awful, and amazing!

That painting would make me laugh every time I saw it in my house--awesome score!

gmatoy

« Reply #830 on: August 21, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
I bought a lovely turquoise jacket, ultra suede, for $4.00. I think it will make the loveliest doll and baby shoes. And, that is what it will be if I can just make myself get back to sewing! (It has been a real summer here which makes me less happy about sewing. I'm waiting for the predicted cool down.)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #831 on: August 26, 2014, 01:29:57 AM »
This past Saturday I went to a couple of yard sales.  At the first one I got a set of sheets and a crystal ball on a stand - all for $1.  The crystal ball has a diameter of about 4 inches.  At the second sale I got a container in which to wash small objects in the dishwasher that was still in the original packaging for $3, a blue glass vintage sports car for 50 cents, an unopened package of black knee-high stockings of a high-end brand for 50 cents, and five vintage movies, all for $9.   

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #832 on: August 26, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »
Lululemon yoga pants, for three whole dollars! They are so comfy.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #833 on: August 29, 2014, 04:11:56 AM »
Yesterday I got my  "Must go there" vibe for my local Emmaus. But there's nothing I want or need I told myself. You must go! insisted my sub-concious. So I went, and for 2 scored a brand new liquidiser attachment for my Kenwood Chef. Those things are 45 new plus postage, and mine leaks terribly. Sorry, my old one leaks terribly. My new one is perfect!

BarensMom

« Reply #834 on: August 29, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »

Better be careful with those - Lululemon was in the news not to long ago because some of their yoga pants were see-through.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #835 on: August 29, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »
Had that "must go there" vibe, too - Brighton brown leather wallet on a strap (a little saddle soap cleans real leather nicely) and this one holds my checkbook, too.  The only thing is no where to put the cell phone (I need to find my "good" pen to put in it). 

Buxton black leather cell phone wallet with the expanding pockets for credit cards (found a strap in my "stash" that matches closely enough - don't know if the strap is real leather or not) - my only issue is that the cell phone part is for a phone wider than mine (Blackberry or even an iPhone might fit).  But for travel, either lets me keep the essentials on me without worrying about the cell phone falling out of my pocket if I'm using this one.  No place to put the check book - but it's been months since I wrote a check anyway....

Back pack (supposed to be the next great thing for fall) - I don't mind paying $6 for something that I might use only when flying...if it proves comfortable, I might wear it when shopping...but I've never had a "backpack purse" and I'm not sure if it will be comfortable or not.  Or will I find that I knock things over a lot so that I decide to wear something else....

A glass bathroom shelf $6 - something to put pretty bottles of shampoo, bubble bath, and shower gel on in the guest bathroom while the toilet tissue & spare towels (and dandruff shampoo) take up the relatively small "hidden" storage cabinet!

$2 for a "basket" that is two Texas shapes held together with strips of lathe - it's going to be in my kitchen (retired military wife - we moved back to Texas and I'm reveling in it - there is a basket, an embroidered Texas held up with a scrap of barbed wire, and a Texas shaped Wilton baking pan - all from thrift shops).  It might end up in the guest bathroom for rolled up wash clothes...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:58:30 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #836 on: August 29, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »

Better be careful with those - Lululemon was in the news not to long ago because some of their yoga pants were see-through.
And they have people sending out spam flogging them.  I'm not talking about the occasional spam in your email, but hundreds and hundreds of posts to forums that have nothing whatsoever to do with fashion or exercise.  I'm on a forum that allows guests to post without registering.  There are days when we've been spambombed and the mods cleaned up over 1000 posts for Lululemon crap.   >:( Sometimes the spambot was sending them faster than they could delete them and they were forced to close all open threads to stop the spam.   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #837 on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
I bought 4 pairs of shoes, a skirt, and a purse for me and a pair of shoes for DH for $260, and the regular price for all of them was $467.

I also ordered the parts for repairing my laptop. There are two cracks, one on the rear of the lcd screen housing and one on the bezel. The parts cost $60 and my friend is an authorized technician for this computer company and will do the labor for $50.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:00:12 PM by ladyknight1 »

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #838 on: August 31, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »
Gads!  :-\

Elfmama, BarensMom, thanks for the heads-up! Neither of those things are very heart-warming or endearing. In conclusion, would not buy new.

sandisadie

« Reply #839 on: August 31, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
A few weeks ago my dtr and I visited several garage sales in surrounding neighborhoods, just on a whim.  I collect all things "cat" (if they have personality).  I spotted a very small cat figurine trimmed in what appeared to be wide gold strips.  It wasn't very appealing to me when my dtr. held it up so I said I didn't think I wanted it.  She says "it's only $.50".  So I bought it.  After I got home I looked on the bottom and saw several hallmarks, etc.  So I looked it up on the maker's website and if I want to buy one today it is over $300.00.  The website has an area cautioning about knockoffs of their products.  I followed what they have to say carefully and I do, in fact, have an real piece of their ware!  I'm thrilled!