Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115531 times)

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
2 David Winter cottages, $15 each.  The after-market price -- $2000-$3000 each.

Wow! I just....wow! What a great score!  :)
I need to look into selling my David Winter collection!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
I keep my eyes open for pretty, glossy craft books. Those tend to get a good rate, too.

deadbody

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
I just checked ebay as I have a lot of David Winter cottages that my parents bought for me as I was growing up.  Nothing went anywhere near that high. 

alkira6

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Hmm, over the past *cough* years I've gotten a lot of useful stuff like cheap pots and pans, dishes sets, clothing, and other cool stuff. The things that stand out are:

3 men's full length leather jackets, $10 each, ebayed 2 for over $100 each, gave 1 to my father

a box of costume jewelry to wear (cause I like older costume stuff) for $3, found that about 50 percent was sterling with a solitary diamond post earring that came in at .5 carats

brand new lane Bryant clothes, tags still on, for between $1-$10 each

a solid wood farm table for $45 - I actually guarded that until my DF came back with the truck to pick it up - the sharks were circling!

Mostly I find really good deals on clothing. Plus size clothing is ridiculously expensive.

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »
My best find was last spring at our local clothing resale shop. I found a brand new (with tags) formal from David's Bridal for $5.50. It had a half inch tear in the seam that took all of 2 minutes to stich up, and Angel loved it! Same trip I also bought her her first LBD for $4.00 (vintage 60's Dior)

Sometimes we get very lucky because she's an unusual size. (0 petite in today's sizing, the vintage Dior was a 2)
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
My best find was last spring at our local clothing resale shop. I found a brand new (with tags) formal from David's Bridal for $5.50. It had a half inch tear in the seam that took all of 2 minutes to stich up, and Angel loved it! Same trip I also bought her her first LBD for $4.00 (vintage 60's Dior)

Sometimes we get very lucky because she's an unusual size. (0 petite in today's sizing, the vintage Dior was a 2)
Vintage Dior?
*swoon*

Ms_Shell

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
Same trip I also bought her her first LBD for $4.00 (vintage 60's Dior)

What?  That clothing pricer is obviously not a style maven!  Let's see, remove the decimal point and add a couple of zeroes... ;D

What a score, for sure!
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

heartmug

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
I'm a massive clotheshorse (on a limited grad student budget), so love browsing thrift stores and secondhand places. My best find -- a black silk, corset-back dress, in almost brand-new condition, from one of the "official tailors" to the British royal family!!! Estimated cost, based on their website -- around $2,500 bucks. Total paid -- $4.50. (No, I did not know at the time what it was. Just knew that I loved it.) Best part, they have a coffee table book. The dress on the cover? You guessed it -- my dress! I've only worn it once and intend to preserve it to pass on to any future daughters/granddaughters that might come along.

Score!

My friends loves purses.  I always bake a from-scratch cake for her for her birthday.  I found a cake plate for $2 that had pictures of vintage purses painted all over it.  She loves that thing!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
I have a new thrift score to report! While casually browsing the shoe section (usually the selection at my local thrift is nothing to get excited about - lots of Payless brand shoes in various states of disrepair) I spotted a brand-new pair of 8-hole steel-toe Doc Martens. I contained my excitement until I ascertained that - yes! - they were my size. The tag had been torn off, though, and since my thrift has a "no tag no sale" policy there was a chance I wouldn't be able to buy them. But the cashier didn't bother about the rules, just shrugged her shoulders and priced them at...

...wait for it...

THREE DOLLARS  :o

I squealed internally all the way home. Finally I have a replacement for my long-lost beloved Docs, and at a price I can actually afford. Hooray!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
A sewing machine for $6. It's older than me, but it's a Singer and it works better than my Mum's new one. You can still get parts for it too, and I downloaded the manual for it. It's green apple coloured and looks awesomely retro  :P

Sounds like it might be a Singer Featherweight, which is quite prized for being, well, a featherweight & easy to transport.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
My best score: a vintage, wine colored Prada handbag, in very good condition, for $10!

R_Suerte

• The more we think we know about, greater the unknown.
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
At the Goodwill, we found a wooden play kitchen.  I think it is handmade* because there are no tags or labels on it.  One piece was a sink/stove/oven combo, the other was a refrigerator/freezer.  Perfect size for my kids, at the time.  It was priced at $25, I think, for both.  When we went to the register to pay for it, we learned it was "1/2 price Saturday."  So, it cost us $12.50 for both pieces.

*It looked hardly used. I hate to think somebody put a lot of effort into making it and nobody used it.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »
This is totally not as cool as some other PP's clothing finds, but back in 7th grade, I found the coolest pair of purple Chuck Taylors ever.  For like a dollar.  I've never seen them in purple before or since.    

"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
My personal favorite was a fully lined lilac silk skirt, which fits elegantly, for 99 cents. ;D

I dress very nicely because I buy almost all my clothes & shoes at the thrift store.  I find the selection at department stores limited with too much "hoochie mamma" attire.  I have a nice figure, especially for a woman in her mid-50s, but I don't feel the need to show it off anymore.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
This is totally not as cool as some other PP's clothing finds, but back in 7th grade, I found the coolest pair of purple Chuck Taylors ever.  For like a dollar.  I've never seen them in purple before or since.    

Nah, that's pretty enviable. I would be thrilled to make such a find.