Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 115569 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
My friend wanted some sherry glasses for her birthday. When I said "new or vintage" she chose vintage. I found the most beautiful set of coloured glasses with clear stems, all very 1960s. There were five but she said that would be okay. I think they were at least part handmade as they are irregular in size.

At the weekend I found four glasses the same shape but with coloured stems and clear bowls. She loves the way they are now mix and match.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
My best deals came from the trash.  I've lived in condos for some time and now have three beautiful patio tables.  All are rust free!  My most recent find needs scraped and repainted, but still, for free! 

My best garage sale deal is a $5 child's dresser that I use as a oversized bedside table.  It's a solid wood Sears dresser from the 70s that I re-stained and is a darling shabby chic find.  Of course, my $80 worth of crystal drawer pulls probably was a bit much, but from the Shabby Chic line this would cost a fortune.

I have a $20 mink stole that I have never truly taken advantage of, but it's fetching and I'll use it someday.

Biggest regret -- I walked away from a solid silver tea set because it had monogramming.  If I had it all to do over, that tea set (which was at a Salvation Army) would be in my corner hutch, regardless of monogram.  It was obviously sterling silver.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »
I'm hoping to hit up some thrift stores in Salt Lake in a few weeks. I want to find some old silver plate forks to make some bracelets.

Hexteacher

• The time has come to grow old disgracefully.
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
With me it's books:  I have managed to get well over 100 out of print and/or expensive books in various charity shops.  More recently I have got hold of a lot of motorbike kit:

1 virtually brand new Oxford tank top bag - 5.00
2 pairs leather bike gloves - 3.00
2 leather motorbike jackets - 15.00 total
1 pair leather motorbike pants, barely used and in excellent condition - 15.00

I have also got hold of a full length leather trench-coat - 8.00

it's ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S.......oh bugger it's coming right for me..." Baron Von Frankenstein.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
I have two sets of stainless flatware that I alternate...a retro starburst pattern and a pressed bamboo pattern. 
While doing my usual rummaging through the silverware bins at Goodwill looking for sterling (hint: always check the butter knives...sterling handled butter knives are often overlooked) and found a whole bunch of bamboo patterned stainless for 29 cents apiece. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:01 AM »
Last weekend, DH and I found a brand new bathroom vanity cabinet at the Habitat for Humanity store.  Price?  $150 with tax.  Price for the exact same thing at Home Depot?  $279 before tax.  That's like $150 in savings!!! 

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
I found a lovely shell pink suit for my daughter at a thrift sale.  Evan Picone valued at about $400 - I paid $0.25!!  Also found her a Kasper all wool, fully lined suit for $6; it was valued at between $400 and $500.

Also found a pair of Birkenstock sandals NIB *in my size* for $9.  I found the exact same pair online for $130.

I have lots of silk shirts and skirts that I've collected too. I have made some pretty good jewelry finds.  I was sorting through a bin of costume jewelry at one store and pulled out an 18K gold necklace with 5 rough cut emeralds, each about 10 carats, and a vintage pearl and amethyst necklace and bracelet set.  I looove thrift stores  ;D

Ms_Shell

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
My best garage sale deal is a $5 child's dresser that I use as a oversized bedside table.  It's a solid wood Sears dresser from the 70s that I re-stained and is a darling shabby chic find.  Of course, my $80 worth of crystal drawer pulls probably was a bit much, but from the Shabby Chic line this would cost a fortune.

I would love to see before and after pics if you have them!

I *love* finding free furniture and refinishing it.  Not only do I feel crafty, but I feel more comfortable experimenting with new decorating techniques on something I found vs. something  I paid for.  I once found an old beat up bench that I refinished in dark cherry stain with black velvet upholstery for the cushion (the fabric was a skirt from Big Lots I got for $5).  It's still my favorite piece of furniture in the house. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
This thread is making me feel like I should be going to Goodwill for more than just donating stuff. I am seriously envious of so many awesome finds!

kymom3

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
I found a La Creuset covered casserole dish at a junk store in southern Kentucky.  I bought a bunch of stuff so I'm not sure exactly what I paid, but it wasn't more than $5.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »
A 100% wool, Windsmoor swing coat. I have had it for about 15 years and it is still going strong (although the collar need attention now)

10 pence.

Heck, I spent more on getting it relined after five years!
NE England

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »
A 100% wool, Windsmoor swing coat. I have had it for about 15 years and it is still going strong (although the collar need attention now)

10 pence.

Heck, I spent more on getting it relined after five years!
I spend more having my clothes drycleaned than I do when I buy them. It costs $8 each time I have the 99 cent skirt cleaned.  I try to avoid anything that has to be drycleaned and stick with natural fabrics I can toss in the machine or hand wash at worst.  I will buy a nice pair of shoes that fit well and pay to have new heel tips or replace that elastic piece next to the ankle buckle (if you know what I mean).  So I'm willing to spend more on maintenance than I am on a new purchase.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
Snapped up a Leicester Tigers RFC jersey for 3.50 in the local charity shop this week - several years old and in very good nick. ;D New replica rugby kit is (as with most sports) extortionately-priced, and I prefer the traditional style of rugby jersey* anyhow, so I'm constantly scouting around for second-hand, older specimens like this one.

*Heavier material, and With A Proper Collar And Buttons, thankyousomuch. I am not enamoured of the newer, snug-fitting jobbies: the latest Wales kit looks like a football strip. :P

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
I spend more having my clothes drycleaned than I do when I buy them. It costs $8 each time I have the 99 cent skirt cleaned. 

That would be a case for buying five skirts!

Elisabunny

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
I buy most of my clothes at thrift shops.  But my favorite find was a $35 electric organ.  We had decided that our daughter (who was already learning piano) should learn at least the basics of organ, and when I saw that organ at the thrift shop...  Well, DD took to it right away, including the pedals! and is now majoring in music with an emphasis in organ and composition. :D 
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...