Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 82341 times)

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
I've been wanting a manual typewriter for a while now, but couldn't find one that worked AND was in my price range. Yesterday, I saw a cute little turquoise Smith-Corona portable in the auction case at the Goodwill. On a whim, I made a $15 bid and got the call that I was the high bidder later that afternoon. It was a bit frozen up, but nothing a proper oiling couldn't fix. It even had its manual and original sales receipt, dated 9-2-61!

Tippity-tippity-tippity-ting!  :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
I spend more having my clothes drycleaned than I do when I buy them. It costs $8 each time I have the 99 cent skirt cleaned. 

That would be a case for buying five skirts!
If they had five more skirts, I would have bought them!  But the thrill of discovering such a great deal in a thrift store is due to its relative rarity.  One might be able to go to a department store, find a skirt that fits, and buy one in blue, another in green, and a third in mauve.*  When one goes to a thrift store, almost every item is unique.

*One might, but for some reason, I never do.  I have bad luck finding stuff I like that fits me in department stores so I stick to the thrift stores. :D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

KimberlyM

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
I'm not patient enough for thrift store shopping.  I wish I were, but I just can't do it.  DH, however, will hunt for months if he wants something.  This weekend he bought a watch at a garage sale for $20, still in the box with the protective coating etc.  Got it home and had DS scan the barcode with his nifty phone thingy and found it retails for $175!

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
while I go thrift store shopping it is NEVER with the intent to buy anything special

it just has to jump out and grab me

and I have been to a lot of thrift stores that I could probably never find again if my life depended on it....I get turned around easy and no I don't have a GPS, don't want one either.

If I am on my way home form somewhere and I don't HAVE to be there in a hurry - as long as I am heading in the general direction of home, I'm good.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

steelstress

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »
No big exciting score for me ever... but, I like to look thru books and photo frames for old photos.  I have found photos dating back to the 50's, 60's, 70's.

I've got an old photo from the early 50's of an LAPD officer, patrol car, and the station in the background.

Another of a couple on a boat, the man in some kind of uniform (coast guard?).  Judging by the woman's hairstyle and clothes, that dates back to the 60's.

Another of 2 uniformed firemen, one in the car, one standing next to it.  dating back to the 50's, judging by the car.

Another of a photo of (written on back of photo) "Palais de Chaillot - From Eiffel Tower.  1977 Paris, France.

Little pieces of history.

Aggiesque

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
That's really neat, steelstress!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »
I have a friend that buys old portrait photos and hangs them in his house. Then he makes up stories for each on and tells visitors all about "his family". The stories are outrageous and hilarious!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
I bought a picture from a thrift store just because the frame was a good size and in perfect condition.  And it had perfect glass.  I paid $10 for it, which was a good deal for just the frame alone!

When I got home, I looked up the picture in the frame and found out it was a numbered etching by an artist named Paul Bisson from England, called Burnt Stubble.  At the time, there were only two others being sold that I could find anywhere on the internet.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my $10 purchase was worth about $400!!  I have it hanging on my wall -- it's a really cool piece of art!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
I actually wrote a poem years ago about finding an old picture at a yard sale. I had almost forgotten about it.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

dman

• Alas, my children! This is the day you shall always remember as the day that you almost...
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
Don't leave us hanging.  Post the poem!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »
Effigy in Sepia

A portrait dug out of a family closest, some unnamed embarrassment fit only for the trash bin, marked obscenely with a price tag in phosphorescent lime.

" $0.15"

A humbled paragon, forced to display her shame, forever.

The photograph is old, classic sepia stained with umber tears.

Tawny hair, light brown or blond, done in period curls-smooth, even spirals that skip over shoulders encased in white lawn, falling majestically to cover her half-developed form.

Her eyes are dark, substantial pools of placid resignation, perhaps overly wide and deep in her bird-like face. They lay beneath fine brows, cradling her smooth, thin nose between them.

Below the smooth line of her pale nose wine-dark lips hold themselves in gentle repose. A hint of melancholy sits tucked away in the small, pointed corners of her smile.

The family came from money then, not that the money is all gone now, but it has lost it's classic elegance in the passing years.

Her dress is of white lawn, edged in cobweb lace and ebony ribbon. Wrists and neck are held delicately in intricate clouds.

Even more spotless than the dress that encases her are the snow-pure gloves that rest lightly on the arms of her wheeled prison, the proud tension holding then not dimmed by time.

Handsome shoes of jet calfskin dangle inert, pointed at the grass beneath her in mocking stillness.

Entranced, I placed a five dollar bill in front of the greedy cow who watched me with suspicious eyes.

Heedless of her waspish cries for my return, I left, cradling my lost angel to my chest.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

MizB

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
Mr. O loves thrift stores and is always scouring for cast away famous art. He's bought quite a bit of stuff and most of my furniture right now is either from a family friend or the thrift store.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Everlee

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
I'm not very good at going to thrift stores and rummages and finding the good stuff.  I mainly go for clothes.  I can buy an entire season of clothes for my kids for about $20-$30 bucks.  All name brand stuff.  I obsessively wait for the good rummages and hit them up and I know to look for winter stuff in the summer and summer stuff in the winter at consignment and thrift stores since they're usually on clearance.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »
No big exciting score for me ever... but, I like to look thru books and photo frames for old photos.  I have found photos dating back to the 50's, 60's, 70's.

I've got an old photo from the early 50's of an LAPD officer, patrol car, and the station in the background.

Another of a couple on a boat, the man in some kind of uniform (coast guard?).  Judging by the woman's hairstyle and clothes, that dates back to the 60's.

Another of 2 uniformed firemen, one in the car, one standing next to it.  dating back to the 50's, judging by the car.

Another of a photo of (written on back of photo) "Palais de Chaillot - From Eiffel Tower.  1977 Paris, France.

Little pieces of history.

I collect old pictures from a certain vantage point in my home town. It has been a tourist spot for a long time so you can get quite old pictures from the same vantage point and trace how the city developed and changed. Bonus point since my college can easily be seen in these pictures (well, from the 40s on).

The oldest I have is from the 20s, handcoloured.

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
Ooooh I  just found an awesome gift for a friend of mine today!!  She is a huuuuuge Miami Heat fan.  For some reason, buried in the
XL men's t-shirts I find an NBA licensed, puffy down Miami Heat starter jacket for.........drum roll....................$7  :o

My friend loooves me lots right now LOL