Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 111931 times)

Micah

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2011, 06:48:01 AM »
A sewing machine for $6. It's older than me, but it's a Singer and it works better than my Mum's new one. You can still get parts for it too, and I downloaded the manual for it. It's green apple coloured and looks awesomely retro  :P

Sounds like it might be a Singer Featherweight, which is quite prized for being, well, a featherweight & easy to transport.

Yeah, that's what it is. I don't know about the featherweight bit, it weighs a ton. But I suppose it weighed a lot less than the other machines of its time. I'm trying to track down some of the coggy bits that go in the top for different stitches (can't remember the technical name). You can get them, but so far I haven't found the ones I want.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
A sewing machine for $6. It's older than me, but it's a Singer and it works better than my Mum's new one. You can still get parts for it too, and I downloaded the manual for it. It's green apple coloured and looks awesomely retro  :P

Sounds like it might be a Singer Featherweight, which is quite prized for being, well, a featherweight & easy to transport.

Yeah, that's what it is. I don't know about the featherweight bit, it weighs a ton. But I suppose it weighed a lot less than the other machines of its time. I'm trying to track down some of the coggy bits that go in the top for different stitches (can't remember the technical name). You can get them, but so far I haven't found the ones I want.

They're called cogs. :)

You really cleaned up! Featherweights are worth hundreds.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »

I don't think it is a Featherweight -- they don't have cogs/cams for different stiches and they only weighed about 12 pounds

http://singer-featherweight.com/

however you made a really good score - I'm sort of envious
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »
Featherweights were black. But you still got a great machine.

carol1412

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »

My mom had a machine like that when I was learning to sew. But she called the inserts "cams" rather than "cogs". I was always facinated watching them work.

wyozozo

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
I found one of these at a local shop on Saturday...I paid $21.95!!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:22:26 PM by wyozozo »

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »

The cog-thingies are called cams - I picked up a set from Trademe (local online auction site - I don't know what the Aus equivalent is).
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Sherman-Womens-Chichester-Swing/dp/B001F521TW

I got this coat, brand new with tags for 5$ while it was still listed in the upper 300$

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »
Mine isn't huge but I love it just the same.  I went looking for garden pots, instead I came home with a great navy with white polka dot dress that I get compliments on every time I wear it.  Happiness for 5.00.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

MummySweet

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:59 AM »
Last week I bought a two seater sofa on ebay for 99 pence! It was described as "sand" colored, but the pic looked really pink.  It's in great shape, and I didn't care about the color since it was destined for the playroom (in fact, I thought my daughter would love a pink couch!)   When we picked it up, it really was sand color and actually nice enough to go in our formal living room.

wyozozo

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Found this super denim jacket for $1.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
Mine isn't huge but I love it just the same.  I went looking for garden pots, instead I came home with a great navy with white polka dot dress that I get compliments on every time I wear it.  Happiness for 5.00.
I had an episode of anxiety January 2010 brought on by overwork and stress from furloughs/reduced benefits/layoffs at work.  I lifted my spirits by indulging in a little "retail therapy."  I went to my favorite thrift store and found a knock-out muu-muu for $8 which flattered my figure and coloring.  I wore it when we worked the door for our friends' concert and all the positive comments really lifted my spirits.

That dress worked much, much better than drugs.  Rest, "equine assisted therapy" (I went riding on our horse), and a readjusted work load cured me.  I still have the dress, but I only wear it for special occasions.

Last time I wore it, this man (a little older than my mid-50s) came up to me to compliment me on how great I looked.  Then he said, "My wife said I could tell you."  I looked behind him and there was his wife, smiling.  She gave me a little finger wave.  I smiled & finger waved back. Honestly, it was a bit odd, but kinda sweet, too.  I guess he wanted to make sure I knew he wasn't hitting on me.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

EMuir

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
Got a set of older stacking stools (70's) in a colour other than gross orange, they'd been reupholstered, all I had to do was replace the little plastic feet.  You can't find stacking stools around in stores anymore!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
Found this super denim jacket for $1.
You and MummySweet deserve high fives for your "dollar deals."  I think MS's 99 cent sofa trumps my 99 cent silk skirt (see above).  I'm gobstruck impressed!

It's all good and we're all winners on this thread! ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
Last time I wore it, this man (a little older than my mid-50s) came up to me to compliment me on how great I looked.  Then he said, "My wife said I could tell you."  I looked behind him and there was his wife, smiling.  She gave me a little finger wave.  I smiled & finger waved back. Honestly, it was a bit odd, but kinda sweet, too.  I guess he wanted to make sure I knew he wasn't hitting on me.

Some years back I bought a 1920s velvet cloche in a burnt-orange color. I rarely wore it because it was so vintage, but did bring it out from time to time. The first time I wore it was out at a restaurant with my mom. An older gentleman came up to me and said, "I like your hat!" I thanked him, then he turned to my mom and asked, "Is this your daughter?" When she responded in the affirmative, he said, "Well, tell her I like her hat!"  :D