Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 93517 times)

Everlee

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:05 PM »
I accidentally broke my daughters little kid table that they sat at and had picnics and colored and what not.  Who knew it couldn't handle my weight.   ::)
So I've been looking for a cheap kids table and finally found one today!  It is a tiny fold up table that looks like it was from the seventies.  Really tacky vinyl top.  I am in love with it.  I wish I could post it's picture up here because it's adorable.  And only $3!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Biking by the thrift store today, I saw they had $0.15 books outside. I picked up a dozen, went inside to pay, and spotted some pants & cute seersucker shorts, then 2 real silk scarves. When I went to pay, it turns out everything is 50% off today, so I paid $8.00 for all of that. So, I decided to meander some more, and found a gorgeous set of milk glass vases, some crystal candlesticks and crystal champagne glasses. I paid $8.50 for all of that.

So, to sum up for $16.50 I got:
12 books
4 candlesticks
3 vases
2 champagne glasses
2 silk scarves
1 pair of khakis
1 pair of shorts.

Best thrifting day EVER.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »
Biking by the thrift store today, I saw they had $0.15 books outside. I picked up a dozen, went inside to pay, and spotted some pants & cute seersucker shorts, then 2 real silk scarves. When I went to pay, it turns out everything is 50% off today, so I paid $8.00 for all of that. So, I decided to meander some more, and found a gorgeous set of milk glass vases, some crystal candlesticks and crystal champagne glasses. I paid $8.50 for all of that.

12 books
4 candlesticks
3 vases
2 champagne glasses
2 silk scarves
1 pair of khakis
1 pair of shorts.

Best thrifting day EVER.

And then you had to bike it all home, so you got some extra exercise too?   ;D

Ms_Shell

« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »
DH and I went estate saling (sailing? :P) yesterday.  We got an antique barrel back chair, a marble topped utility table, and a marble doorknob for the grand total of $125.  Score!

"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »

12 books
4 candlesticks
3 vases
2 champagne glasses
2 silk scarves
1 pair of khakis
1 pair of shorts.

Best thrifting day EVER.

And then you had to bike it all home, so you got some extra exercise too?   ;D

I went very carefully, and very slowly with the bag of fragiles hanging from my handlebars.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
Milk glass? Jellus.

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
Yesterdays find:

MissRose

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
Sounds like people have found amazing deals.

I have found various name brand items of clothing and sometimes shoes mainly in new, very good, or like new condition for low prices.  Some of them have had the original tags still on them.

I also like thrift stores to find books, dvds, and cds for bargain prices too.

I did find for myself at a yard sale one time a Kate Spade black purse for ...... $1 !!!  ;D

When I was younger, I hated yard sales cause sometimes they may have been at a classmate's home if they were local.  Out of town ones, I preferred more because I would not know the kids there.

These days, I prefer a good yard/rummage/garage sales and thrift stores.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »
Talamarie, that dress is lovely and so flattering on you!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
I sometimes find very nice coffee table books at thrift stores for a song, then resell them at Half Price Books for 2-3x a song.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Amaya

« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
I went to a bunch of yard sales early yesterday morning. Best find: a three-piece American Tourister luggage set, in excellent condition, for $10 total! The inside is a gorgeous mint green embroidered with darker green embellishments. The outside is that distinct 70's shade of pea soup green, but I love vintage stuff, so it's fine by me. Definitely beats paying upwards of $100 for a set from a retail store!

Cutenoob

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »
I found a Cable & Gauge sweater, in a bright happy blue color - tags still attached for about $15.  Those sweaters aren't cheap.

Most of the other things I find are just bleh.  No real scores lately!

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2011, 01:31:11 AM »
Talamarie, that dress is lovely and so flattering on you!

Thanks! It's BCBG Maxazaria, so it would have been a few hundred dollars- was 8$ with the dry cleaning tags still on :-)

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2011, 04:55:53 AM »
My mom bought a huge manila envelope of photographs labeled "WWII" at an estate sale for $3.00, and gave them to me, since I like such things.  The woman to whom it belonged worked for a newspaper during the war, and there are maybe a hundred vintage photos from the 1940s.  They are awesome.  My favorite is one of General and Mrs. Eisenhower on the porch of one of our local hotels.

Value = priceless  ;D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »
My mom bought a huge manila envelope of photographs labeled "WWII" at an estate sale for $3.00, and gave them to me, since I like such things.  The woman to whom it belonged worked for a newspaper during the war, and there are maybe a hundred vintage photos from the 1940s.  They are awesome.  My favorite is one of General and Mrs. Eisenhower on the porch of one of our local hotels.

Value = priceless  ;D
Please tell me that they're all in a lovely album now? Or that you've scanned them and we can see?  ;)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas