Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 94619 times)

steelstress

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
My mom bought a huge manila envelope of photographs labeled "WWII" at an estate sale for $3.00, and gave them to me, since I like such things.  The woman to whom it belonged worked for a newspaper during the war, and there are maybe a hundred vintage photos from the 1940s.  They are awesome.  My favorite is one of General and Mrs. Eisenhower on the porch of one of our local hotels.

Value = priceless  ;D

Oh my!  I would LOVE to see these photos!  Plan to put them up somewhere so we can view?

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »
You're right, I should scan them! 

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »
You're right, I should scan them! 

Please do!!

Amasi

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »
I've always dreamed of finding something valuable/awesome for a few dollars. Unfortunately the one time I did stumble on something unexpectedly valuable, it was a library book which happened to be a rare first edition. Of course I returned it.

I have taken to collecting a set of dishes from various second hand shops. It's so much fun to spot a new piece, even though I have no idea what I'll use half of them for. They're fairly common, so I wonder if anyone can identify their origin:

I'd love to know how many pieces I have to go! Although I think the cups are technically not part of the set since the pattern is different, they match well enough.

I'm also considering swapping all my mismatched plates and saucers for a certain dinner set that crops up everywhere. Apparently it was part of a supermarket promotion some time ago.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
I just bought a set of primary-colored Pyrex mixing bowls, from the 60s, I think, for $5. And another medium bowl in a pattern I didn't have. And another large yellow mixing bowl. I bought the primary-colored set (and the pink set, which was $8) with the intention of selling them, but now I'm hesitating on that. I never enjoyed selling on Ebay, and shipping breakables just seems so fraught...but we're moving soon and I don't want to pack up this sky-high stack of Pyrex!

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
Does the solid natural cherry dining room set I bought on craigslist count?

6 chairs, table with 3 leaves that can seat 10, table pad and buffet all circa 1950. No mdf or particle board at all.

I paid $500 for the lot.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
Does the solid natural cherry dining room set I bought on craigslist count?

6 chairs, table with 3 leaves that can seat 10, table pad and buffet all circa 1950. No mdf or particle board at all.

I paid $500 for the lot.
That counts! I'm envious!

I did forget about my vintage enamel topped table....the neighbor gave me. He had it sitting in his yard.

steelstress

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
I just bought a set of primary-colored Pyrex mixing bowls, from the 60s, I think, for $5. And another medium bowl in a pattern I didn't have. And another large yellow mixing bowl. I bought the primary-colored set (and the pink set, which was $8) with the intention of selling them, but now I'm hesitating on that. I never enjoyed selling on Ebay, and shipping breakables just seems so fraught...but we're moving soon and I don't want to pack up this sky-high stack of Pyrex!

I FOUND quite a stash of old Pyrex mixing bowls, casseroles, etc.... guess where?  Sitting outside my condo complex's trash dumpster.  All neatly stacked and sitting on the ground.  I picked it ALL up!  Probably close to 20 pcs.  I still have it all, too.  Not a thrift store find, but quite a find!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
At the garage sale for our women's chorus on Saturday, I scored an unopened bottle of Williams-Sonoma Cabernet Vinegar for $1. (Original sticker on the bottom was $16.)

I loooooove Cabernet Vinegar!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
We spent the week in Rehoboth Beach Delaware, and I went to the Corningware outlet and lusted after a set of Visions cookware.

Then we stopped at a local thrift store and they had 2 saucepans.

The discounted price at the outlet: 41.99 and 34.99 each

The price at the thrift store 5 dollars and 7 dollars.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »
My local thrift is simply awash in my favorite clothing item: knee-length A-line printed cotton skirts. I get, like, at least two every time I step in there. They're just so awesome to have for the summer - put on a fitted T and flip-flops, dun dun DONE!

Last visit I also picked up some cool brand-new Rocket Dog shoes. Love.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
My local thrift is simply awash in my favorite clothing item: knee-length A-line printed cotton skirts. I get, like, at least two every time I step in there. They're just so awesome to have for the summer - put on a fitted T and flip-flops, dun dun DONE!

Last visit I also picked up some cool brand-new Rocket Dog shoes. Love.

My closest overflows with cotton knee-length printed a-line skirts.

Today's treasures included a pair of gap khakis, a printed jersey wrap dress, 3 graphic tees and a canister for $5.04.

minky

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »
I've always dreamed of finding something valuable/awesome for a few dollars. Unfortunately the one time I did stumble on something unexpectedly valuable, it was a library book which happened to be a rare first edition. Of course I returned it.

I have taken to collecting a set of dishes from various second hand shops. It's so much fun to spot a new piece, even though I have no idea what I'll use half of them for. They're fairly common, so I wonder if anyone can identify their origin:

I'd love to know how many pieces I have to go! Although I think the cups are technically not part of the set since the pattern is different, they match well enough.

I'm also considering swapping all my mismatched plates and saucers for a certain dinner set that crops up everywhere. Apparently it was part of a supermarket promotion some time ago.

Do they have any writing on the bottom?  Take a picture of the bottom and post it and maybe someone can identify it.

A good place for pottery and glass info is the eBay Pottery, Glass and Porcelain forum.  It's in the Community section under Discussion Forums.  They know everything.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
Amasi - I think your dishes just might be a grocery store promotion item

they look familiar - try Kroger's or IGA
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
Simkin got a USB compatible flight stick for his computer for $0.75...they sell for about $16 on Amazon.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas