Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 107912 times)

Sanity Lost

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
Picked up a brand new pack&play (with changing table) and almost new baby swing for a grand total of $80

Would have cost me almost $200 at the store Yay :-)

yokozbornak

« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
I bought an antique oak dresser and carved mirror today at Goodwill for $19.99.  I am so excited!  One piece of wood on the mirror was loose, but I have it glued and clamped down right now so it should be good as new once it dries. Everything else is in amazing condition, and it even has the original brass handles.  I am almost bought a similar one a few years ago for $200, but DH and I decided that we really couldn't afford it at the time.

I saw it immediately when I walked in and my heart started racing.  I heard a lady at the front asking about a dresser so I was bummed that I missed out on it.  Fortunately, she was talking about another dresser so I snatched the price tag off of that one and bought it immediately!

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
^Score!!!

bluedahlia

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
Best score ever:  I bought an Anne Klein dress for $6 on clearance at Buffalo Exchange and wore it for several years.  It was gorgeous and I always got a ton of compliments.  Five years later I took it to a different consignment shop and they sold it for $30 and I got 40 percent so I MADE six bucks on the deal.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »
I spend more having my clothes drycleaned than I do when I buy them. It costs $8 each time I have the 99 cent skirt cleaned. 

That would be a case for buying five skirts!
If they had five more skirts, I would have bought them!  But the thrill of discovering such a great deal in a thrift store is due to its relative rarity.  One might be able to go to a department store, find a skirt that fits, and buy one in blue, another in green, and a third in mauve.*  When one goes to a thrift store, almost every item is unique.

*One might, but for some reason, I never do.  I have bad luck finding stuff I like that fits me in department stores so I stick to the thrift stores. :D

That was so not my experience today. I found two identical pairs of petite Lane Bryant jeans (going to be hemmed for capris, cuz I'm not petite!), another in the same size in regular, and two pairs of identical Lane Bryant gaucho pants, which alas did not fit because those would have been perfect for the summer.

I ended up getting all three pairs of jeans for $14. That's $120 worth of jeans. And our Goodwill tags by size group so I only had to look at the red tagged jeans; that saved me sooooo much time.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »
Oh, I wish ours tagged by size group - everything is arranged by color, instead.

Today, however, I did find:

Talbot slacks (reg. $ 89): $ 5.50
Fun soup cups that my grandmother had when I was a little girl: 2 for .97 each (I found tomato and chicken soup). This is the full set and what I'd love to find eventually!

(edited because apparently I cannot spell tonight!)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:51:18 PM by Alida »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Yesterday at a garage sale I got an 8 by 10 black and white glossy of the Lone Ranger and Tonto on their horses.  I showed it to my son and he noticed that it looked like Lone had a tall cactus sticking out of the top of his hat.  Now that's all I see when I look at the picture.  Oh, well.  It was only two bucks.   ::)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
I see those soup cups all the time! Want me to pick them up for you?

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »
Oh, I would love that! Please let me know! I can't find them around here usually.

Rohanna

« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »
My mom has a whollle lot of those, but I have no idea if they are "vintage" or more recent reproductions.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Tai

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:01 AM »
DH and I have a standing date on every other Saturday to go yard-saling and thrifting.  In the last month we've spent a total of $50 on a micro-fridge/heater for the car, a butcher block topped bakers rack, a brand new breadmaker, 3 dozen quart canning jars, an antique enamelled teapot and matching cookie jar with our wedding flowers on it, about a dozen books, a 3 piece luggage set, and a full set of Veggie Tale tapes for the kiddos.  

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »
Not a thrift score, but dumpster, and not mine, but just seen on Antiques Roadshow.  A woman brought in a photo and 1949 cancelled payroll check signed by Micky Mantle.  Her grandfather had been the manager of one of the Yankee minor league teams and fished them out of the trash!  Micky's first year in baseball; photo was worth about $1000, but the check was one of the earliest examples of his signature, and from his first year playing baseball.  Check was worth $30-50K, and when he asked if she had any more, she said there were five in total.  Value for all $150K - 200K and he said he might be low!  She was crying at the first appraisal, and speechless after he told her what they all were worth!

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
My best thrift store purchase ever happened in 2003.

BG: I like cosplaying. I wanted to cosplay all the outfits my favorite character in my favorite anime wore. One of them was a long pink gown with long sleeves.

Well, I found the PERFECT base dress to make this costume with at a Salvation Army store back in Spring of 2003. I bought the dress and adjusted it. I bought the decorations. I made the costume. I have worn it several times. I love it so much.

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=163492
I have pet mice!

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
I just picked up a pair of wooden shoes for $5 - finished and stained brown and more important

they fit me

I've been told they make great mud shoes....(SCA geek here)

normal price - about $50.00
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
I just picked up a pair of wooden shoes for $5 - finished and stained brown and more important

they fit me

I've been told they make great mud shoes....(SCA geek here)

normal price - about $50.00
Not sure if this applies, since I bought my fabric at a regular fabric store, but I got 2 yards of cotton velveteen and 2 yards of brocade for $1 a yard.  It became what I call my $20 Italian Ren. And the only reason the cost went up $20 was the $10 of trim I bought at Pennsic! ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~