Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 94945 times)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
only $10 of trim ?

Pillaged Villaged didn't let you out with no money?
(Hey we tried to get everybody that walked in to buy some)

or did you get it somewhere else?

but yeah - you got a great deal
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
only $10 of trim ?

Pillaged Villaged didn't let you out with no money?
(Hey we tried to get everybody that walked in to buy some)

or did you get it somewhere else?

but yeah - you got a great deal
Pillaged Village got the money for our 4 wooden trenchers. ;)  Many, many, many years ago....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
The Sweetie & I are going to Port Aransas next month with my sister, her family, and our dad. So far at the Salvation Army, I've found:

A like-new boogie board, $5
Like-new swim fins, $6 (half-off)

This is their flagship store, right across from where I work, so I'm stopping by several times a week. I hope to find swim masks, snorkels (will sanitize), and another set of fins.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
My 17 year old daughter went to a flea market today and scored a pair of like brand new Doc Martens for the princely sum of $3.00! score!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
I've posted this before but I'm posting it again.

Some years ago I bought a 19th century folio at a local book sale.  The thing cost 20 USD and, because it had a beautiful folded plate of life-sized Bronze Age weapons, I thought the plate would make a nice Birthday present for a friend who in the SCA. 

I took the thing home and did a little looking around in RLIN (Research Library Information Network).  There were only about 8 copies  cataloged and all were listed as shelved in rare book areas. 

Things were getting interesting. 

Because I could, I went into the cataloging module of RLIN and checked out the collations.  My copy was complete.

Time to check value. 

The only copy I could find for sale was from a dealer in Europe.  The asking price was 2,400 USD. 

Need I say that I'd have to find my friend another Birthday gift?  It wouldn't pay for a child's college education but there was no way I was going to break this thing up.       

MissRose

« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »
I've (and my mother) got some great deals at some yard sales and thrift stores recently:

*A pair of Converse style high top trainers for my niece, barely worn ($1)
*A Coach handbag for me ($15!!!)
*A pair of Skechers Shapeups trainers for my nephew - $10, still in the box

Tai

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
DH and I went yard saling today, picked up a picnic basket, a princess tent for DD, and a baby bouncer.  No, we don't need the bouncer yet, but we're hoping to buy some baby stuff second hand that we went without the first few times around... and considering we spent a total of $17 on over $100 worth of stuff, I think we did pretty good!

Micah

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »
I got an old spring base, hardwood double bed and mattress for $25. The bed needs painting and I'll get the mattress cleaned (it looks clean and the lady said it'd hardly been used, but still.) Sanding and painting it is going on my massive list of projects. At the moment it's taking up OH's space in the garage  :P
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
Just got back from hanging with DH's family in Smalltown, TX. Smalltown is loaded with junk shops, relative to the population. I didn't go nuts like I normally would, because we are moving and I don't want to add to the packing, but I did score a few things. I got:

-a set of German Shepherd head vases (a kitschy gift for a friend who's a GSD freak)
-a salt & pepper shaker set of a cat in a chair, the cat being pepper and the chair salt (for MIL)
-an antique toy yellow van (for the Nom's room: it matched a painting I made for him)
-and a 1950s Easybake-type oven (for me: REALLY cool!)

Total: $30  :o Out of all of it I think the toy oven may be worth the most - definitely more than $15! - but I've wanted one of those for a long time, as I love kitchen kitsch. So I'm keeping it.

bluhairfreak

« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »
I got some nice scores today at the CAPS(Citizens for Animal Protection Society) thrift store today.  Best is a red A-line gown with corset lacy back and black flocked chiffon overlay for 15$, a french press coffee set for 10$, a large fairy figurine for 15, and a min screen which will be perfect for my dolls for 3 dollars.

Edit to add link http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/ladydouji/DSCF1831-2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:11:36 AM by bluhairfreak »

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »
I've been on a roll lately, it's been great for my wallet! My poor emptyish house is slowly getting furnished.

Over the past little while I've gotten a couch, oversized armchair, two desks, a piano, sideboard, big screen TV and dishwasher for $75.

This thrift hunting is addicting!

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
Best score ever: A coat almost identical to the one the tenth doctor wears for $60. Boyfriend looks VERY good in it. Best bargain in the family was my grandmother's: a 3 seater lounge + 2 matching armchairs, newly reupholstered, for $300. It's so comfortable I keep threatening to take it with me when I move out  >:D

Yellow leather jacket for $60. Later saw the exact jacket in an expensive boutique shop. Still regretting I didn't go in and see what it was actually worth.

Yellow dress similar to the famous white one worn my Marilyn Monroe, suits me perfectly: $3.00.

Where I live there are also two big book sales on a year, where you can get EVERYTHING in there for $2.00. BF and I go with big bags and usually end up making two trips. Books are awesome. ;D

alegria

« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
Not a thrift score, but a Craigslist score. Yesterday I got an Accuquilt Go! Fabric cutter, with ten dies and four cutting mats, most new in package, for $305. The retail price of all of that, before tax, would be almost $850!! I am very pleased with myself right now... :)

littlebird

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
Do y'all find these things at the local charity shops or the big names (Goodwill, Salvation Army)?

Best find in my family was when my parents were in Aspen - mom tagged along on dad's business trip. They found an unworn, still-has-tags, Burberry trench that fit my mother perfectly - for $20 (they generally run $800 - 1,200)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
Best find in my family was when my parents were in Aspen - mom tagged along on dad's business trip. They found an unworn, still-has-tags, Burberry trench that fit my mother perfectly - for $20 (they generally run $800 - 1,200)

*faints*

I so love Burberry, and I've always dreamt of owning a real Burberry trench.
The status is not quo!