Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 99013 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »
Sometimes I get this urge to visit certain shops. Last week I found 12 cut glass sorbet dishes at my local Emmaus shop. At 50p each I bought them all!

I got my toasting fork that way. I was driving past on a work trip and something told me I just HAD to stop. So I did, and found my beautiful Art Deco fork.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
Found a women's Landsend denim lined barn jacket at the local GW for $7.99 last week.  When I got home and reached in the pocket, there was a pretty yellow Columbia headband as a bonus!

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »
I decided to stop by the Goodwill this morning and scored! I bought a coffee table and end table for $26 total. So to furnish my living room with a sofa, armchair, coffee table and end table I paid $66. Not too shabby! I am itching to go back to get some bedroom furniture now.  :D

Ruelz

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
Good deal!  My friend, who lived here for 4 years for a job...had a blast furnishing her apartment with deals like that.  It looked remarkably good.  I think she ended up paying $75 for the entire room (a few years ago).
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »
Once I get finished working today I'm going to a large, newly-opened Goodwill store to look for some work shirts for Mr. Sirius.  I once got a polo shirt on sale for $3; he wore it for two years for work (he drives a school bus) and then it got pretty ratty, but for a $3 shirt to last 2 years that was worn at least once a week that's a pretty good deal.  He still wears it, but only around the house.

Edited to add:  I got him three polo shirts, one for $7 and two for $8 each.  The two $8 ones were almost brand new.  One is kelly green, a color he looks very good in, one's the color of chocolate milk, and one is dark maroon.  He has told me flatly that he doesn't want to wear blue, after 20 years in the military, but he looks a lot better in earth tones.  I also got some fabric and a couple of books. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:49:51 PM by Sirius »

doodlemor

« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
Here are some tag sale items I scored:

A watercolor and ink painting by a Native American artist for $7.50, which included a lovely cherry frame.  His work is going for $1,000 to $1,500 right now, but I have no plans to sell it.

An oriental rug from about 1930, I think it was a Heriz, for $10.  We sold it to a dealer for $300.  Perhaps we could have bargained for more, but were quite astonished at the offer for a very damaged rug, and we knew that the friend from whom we had bought it really needed the money.  It was a great moment to see the look on her face when we explained the situation and gave her the bucks.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
An oriental rug from about 1930, I think it was a Heriz, for $10.  We sold it to a dealer for $300.  Perhaps we could have bargained for more, but were quite astonished at the offer for a very damaged rug, and we knew that the friend from whom we had bought it really needed the money.  It was a great moment to see the look on her face when we explained the situation and gave her the bucks.

I just fell in love with you. What a great friend!
The status is not quo!

doodlemor

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Thanks, Wonderflonium, I think you're pretty cool, too.

When we realized the thing was so valuable we knew what we had to do.

Tai

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »
DH and I just returned from what is probably the final yardsale run of the season.  Got clothes for DD for 50c per piece, 2 pairs of shoes for $1, two very nice wool coats with very ugly buttons (which I can swap out, of course!) for $1 each, a nice big box of baseball cards for $5, about 20 more books for $6, and at the last sale we bought a stick vac, a small wall cabinet, a xpress readi set go, a pair of oil lamps, a 2 gallon igloo cooler, and a random DVD for $40 total. 

Over this summer, we've done very, very well- I've completed a canning set for about $15 (2 canners, a funnel, 4 canning books, 4 cases of jars, and the lifter things), we outfitted an office nook for $16 (file cabinet, small rolling bookcase that tucks under a table, several vertical organizers, and several hang-on-the wall file holders, plus some random supplies), rounded out our formerly meager camping supplies, and have a LOT of winter entertainment- books, videos, DVDs, craft books and kits, games, etc. 

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
 We went looking for a Religious necklace for DD's baptism tomorrow. And I prefer the quality of JCPenny's jewelry and love it when we can find a good deal in clearance. $450.00 white gold pendant with aquamarine gemstones in the clearance case. $55 with tax!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
Replaced broken glass coffee carafes for $2 each ($10 for company replacement for the 4 cup or $20 for the company replacement for the 12 cut).  Bought a one cup coffee dispenser (without the stainless steel travel cup for $3 - usually much more - for DH to take to work for the days when he need just ONE more cup of coffee - except he changed his mind).  It works for making hot water for one cup of tea or hot chocolate - and it will cool off sometime in the next two months...............

Maroon evening dress with jacket for $20 & dry cleaning cost $10 - I go to two awards banquets a year and I sit at the head table next to Teacher VorGuy.  That $30 is much better cost - weight fluctuations have made wearing an older dress from the closet problematic.  I do wear older outfits once in a while................
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

djinnidjream

« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
You guys make me want to hit the thrift stores tomorrow!

I'm an avid rummage saler and have made a lot of good deals- clothes for the kids- my DD's easter outfit this year cost $3.00 total and she can probably wear it next year too!

Other great deals- a double barrel rock polisher with a box of supplies including a big chunk of white quartz and rose quartz for $4.00.

A nifty hamper covered in fabric with monkeys, palm trees and fringe for $6.00.  LOVE!!!

A full size tent- brand new for $10.  When we opened it up, we also found 2 kid size tents in there as well.  The tent is big enough we can stand upright and actually has two side rooms for sleeping.

Village buildings- department 56 even for very cheap. 

My best find is a Fontanini nativity set for $15.  Even if I replace the 3 missing pieces, I still don't come close to the retail price of $120

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
A Williams-Sonoma "Outdoor Cooking" cookbook for $1.

First recipe I did:

Marinate chicken breasts in pineapple juice, coconut milk, LOTS of ginger, salt & pepper. I also added some sherry.

Grill, brushing on extra marinade. EAT!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

40andbetter

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
I know some will say I spoil the fun...
But I work for Goodwill -over the course of several days I saw a little figurine on the shelf as I went into the back room one day I picked it up and saw a 99 cent price tag on it - with a hummel brand insignia on the bottom (it looked like a 70's style figure (red hair boy , looked like it could've been a twin to the one my mom has of a little girl shopping) I took it to a manager and she repriced it at $15.00 and put it in a case  -- someone brought it that day and didn't flince at the price

on a different note - I was heading to help clean up my parents house (they has moved into a ritirement home ) and it occured to me that I was wearing too nice of a shirt to scrub the bathroom  :-[  I stopped at the GW on my way and looked for a "clearence" tee shirt for a buck - found one but also found for a buck  a "wicked" tee shirt (would've been $30.00 new in the theatre lobby)

Everlee

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
I went rummaging with my kids last weekend and spent $30 and came home with two bags of great stuff.  I got me some really nice new dresses and skirts, the kids got some clothes and toys and my best find was a pair of brand new, never been worn soccer cleats for $5.  I just spent $20 on a pair last month and that was the sale price.  These are a size to big, so I'm all set to go for next season!