Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 104814 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #405 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »
This weekend for $10 I got a sweater that still had its tags, 2 long sleeve tees, a pair of pajamas, Balderdash and some vintage Christmas ornaments.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #406 on: November 29, 2012, 12:02:57 AM »
Today I spent $3 for a notebook sleeve - missing the original shoulder strap (I have a spare black strap or two - so that was no problem) and someone had spilled *something* on it - I have a steam cleaner...  Similar notebook sleeves at WalMart?  $25 or so - plus sales tax on the higher amount adds up to more money than the sales tax on $3.   

It is now drying and will fit my spare notebook computer *perfectly*. 

And if I decide to list it on eBay - it makes an attractive addition to a "bundle" of accessories!

Now - to decide it I'd rather "love it or list it" for my spare laptop......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #407 on: November 29, 2012, 03:14:05 AM »
Maybe it isn't worth the $25 I paid for it but it haunted me for about 3 days before I actually bought it, so I knew I really wanted it.   
It's an old school desk or some kind of typewriter desk.  It's got a metal frame and legs and a wooden (feels like oak) top with a slot (also wood, like the desk top) under the desk part for papers, etc.  The reason I think it could be a  piece of office furniture is that it has the metal structure and no attached seat as school desks had (at least in my day).  I wish the legs were not rusty, but that can be remedied, and maybe that's part of its charm.  (besides, I'm lazy  :P).

ETA:  It is a school desk!  I love that!  I just found a picture of one exactly like it.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=vintage+school+desks&view=detail&id=78F2ECF2511992BDBD8D89C2A4CE967DCAB5496A&first=118
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:23:20 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

kymom3

« Reply #408 on: November 29, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »
This isn't one huge score, but it turned out great!

I'm the adult leader for a kid activity.  I have a movie night at my house before Christmas, I make food, other parents bring stuff, etc.  Low key, lots of fun.   This year I decided I would have a hot chocolate bar, I found a great crock pot recipe and I'm going to get different toppings--whipped cream, sprinkles, peppermint sticks, etc.

My small county has 3 Goodwill stores, so I raided them and bought all of their Christmas mugs.  I found 2 dozen all together, they were about 50 cents apiece, so everyone can pick out a mug, use it for their hot chocolate or whatever and then take it home.  I am ridiculously excited and hope it goes over well.   ;D

workerbee

« Reply #409 on: November 29, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
OT, but what a cute idea for a party!

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to file this one away for when my kids are a bit older....

(and I may steal your mug idea too.....goodness knows there are enough Christmas mugs floating around in the universe.  :))

bluhairfreak

« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »
Another Furniture score from CAP.  They had this wood liquor cabinent/bar  Glass doors and nice carving.  A little banged up, but nothing that can't be fixed with either a wood finish pen, or paint.   50$

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #411 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
Well, this isn't a thrift store score, but last spring (March, maybe?) I popped in a Walmart early on Sunday morning, and found--to my great delight--their remaining winter clothing marked down to $1 each item. Mens, womens and kids, and there was some really nice stuff on several racks.

Since my adopted mom is in a nursing home, I have also adopted 5 of her friends (that don't have family), and I.loaded.up. I was almost embarrassed, but I knoe that I could store the clothes until this Christmas, and I am so excited to wrap this stuff. I got 2 pairs of pants, 2 gowns, 3 shirts, 2 sweaters, and sox for each lady. Oh, and sweats. Plus....I picked up some extra clothes for other resients that might need them. Yay! Score! :)  I think I spent about $100, total.

I also got some beautiful paper and bows at the Sams after-Christmas sale last year, so the ladies should have some pretty boxes to open too.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

magicdomino

« Reply #412 on: November 29, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »
I wonder about some things like that in the thrift shops, but the other way -- why do people give stuff to charity that ought to be consigned to the trash?  Who on earth is going to want a wine glass etched with
Our Wedding
Joe and Jane Smith
July 4th, 1999
Luv4evar
?

A little late, but I can answer that one.  The sister of a friend buys engraved wineglasses and other barware from thrift stores for parties.  If they get broken, she doesn't care, and the various names, wineries, monograms, etc., act as conversation starters. 

Amara

« Reply #413 on: November 29, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
Since my adopted mom is in a nursing home, I have also adopted 5 of her friends (that don't have family), and I.loaded.up. I was almost embarrassed, but I knoe that I could store the clothes until this Christmas, and I am so excited to wrap this stuff. I got 2 pairs of pants, 2 gowns, 3 shirts, 2 sweaters, and sox for each lady. Oh, and sweats. Plus....I picked up some extra clothes for other resients that might need them. Yay! Score!   I think I spent about $100, total.

I also got some beautiful paper and bows at the Sams after-Christmas sale last year, so the ladies should have some pretty boxes to open too.

That is just one of the finest stories of caring I have ever heard.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #414 on: November 29, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
This isn't my score, but I still remember this incident.  Many years ago when I worked at a store, there was the annual after Christmas sales table.  A customer came to my checkout lane with a beautiful punch bowl and cups, but there was no price.  We flagged down the manager and she just made up a price of $2.  The customer was ecstatic and we were happy for her.  Afterwards, we all ran to the table, but alas, there were no more.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #415 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
I wonder about some things like that in the thrift shops, but the other way -- why do people give stuff to charity that ought to be consigned to the trash?  Who on earth is going to want a wine glass etched with
Our Wedding
Joe and Jane Smith
July 4th, 1999
Luv4evar
?

A little late, but I can answer that one.  The sister of a friend buys engraved wineglasses and other barware from thrift stores for parties.  If they get broken, she doesn't care, and the various names, wineries, monograms, etc., act as conversation starters.

I have a friend who does the same. Plus that way every glass is a little different so you can tell yours apart. We like to make up identities for ourselves based on the names or describe elaborate vacations to different wineries.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
Our town has a resale shop that is a fundraiser for a local hospice.  The Saturday after U.S. Thanksgiving, they had everything in store 75% off!  I finally got there about 2:30, but still found 4 sweaters for my husband for $17.17 total.  One was from Norstrom! 

yokozbornak

« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
I'm so excited!  I found a vintage Enid Collins purse for $4 at Goodwill today.  It's so funny because I saw a blurb about those purses yesterday in a local magazine, and I thought they were so cute.  I walked in Goodwill this morning, and BAM! there was one for sale.  I think it was meant to be!

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2012, 06:49:03 AM »
Someones been giving away amazing shoes at my local op shop. I snagged a cream pair of 5 inch platform Mollini heels (I've already repainted the heels and beaded them up) 5 inch black/silver glitter trim Hot Topic platform heels and a pair of 4 inch EKO black velvet buckle and stud shoes for all together 14$. Nice and stable and they fit my sightly wide feet. I alwayd have to buy a size or two bigger and buy inserts to fit for my feet. I'm nearly 6 feet tall in these. The Mollini's start at 100$ new and the Hopt topic are around 50$ new, I can't find the EKO ones though and they are very cute heels.

The beading I put on isn't all that permanent, it leaves the shoes open for more redecorating somewhere along the line. As long as I'm not too rough on them and keep an eye on the beading it'll stay put for quite some time. I went nuts with some metallic gray and cream pearl swirly detailing  I bought from a scrapbooking store.

Also found a brown and gold asian inspired queen sized throw bedcover for 9$. That description does not do it justice. I was showing a friend it when out shopping and had a few offers of people to buy it it's that gorgeous.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #419 on: December 01, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »
Our Wedding
Joe and Jane Smith
July 4th, 1999
Luv4evar
?

A little late, but I can answer that one.  The sister of a friend buys engraved wineglasses and other
barware from thrift stores for parties.  If they get broken, she doesn't care, and the various names, wineries, monograms, etc., act as conversation starters.

A cousin did something similar.  His hobby was watch-making.  He had five sons.  His goal was to find antique watches with the appropriate initials, restore the watches and present each watch to a son when the young man celebrated his 21st birthday. 

It was a daunting task but he managed to do it.