Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 104671 times)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #420 on: December 01, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
Ok--still not a thrift score, but after sales, coupons, and assorted other promos, I bought myself a gorgeous green Chaps sweater from Kohls yesterday for $5.

(Amara--thank you for your kind words. It is honestly my honor to do this for them. I try to mark all major holidays with something---Easter baskets are a hoot! :) My adopted mom is just that--heart adopted. Ther is no bio or legal bonds between us. She was an only child who's children died in infancy, so no family (her husband (dad) died in '05). I started working with her 20+ years ago, and since my parents died when I was young (and I have no family to speak of), we adopted each other. She has early onset dementia, and doesn't know me from Adam, but it's OK; I can make her still smile. :))
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

jmarvellous

« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
A recliner in good shape (better after a dollar-store can of upholstery cleaner!) for $22 at an estate sale. We've been looking for a 'real' chair to replace a rickety (free!) pappasan since we moved in, and this is nice. I of course went out and got 2 pillows and a throw (at Ross) that cost the same as the chair, but that's the way these things seem to work.

norrina

« Reply #422 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
I am in the process of opening a law office, and as a lawyer I am finding that there is a certain image I am expected to project, but as a brand-new lawyer my income is not really in keeping up with that image. So I have been heavily shopping thrift stores, yard sales, Craigslist, etc. So far I have scored:
(1) Quoizel Tiffany style floor lamp, like new, $70 ($200+ new)
(2) Ashley Home Furnishings 5.5' x 7' throw rug, perfect condition, $50 ($200+ new)
(3) LARGE mission style solid wood desk, good condition [like new once I'm done refinishing it], $45 ($200+ for particle board furniture at Walmart, so probably 2-3x that for real wood new)
(4) 2 leather captains chairs, $60 ($200+ EACH new)

If I can find a good desk chair and multi-function machine on clearance I'll be *really* psyched. For right now I'm borrowing those from my home office until I can upgrade. 

norrina

« Reply #423 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »
Oh, and I forgot
(5) Smith Corona electric typewriter, working condition, $13 (new price unknown, it's an older model)

Amara

« Reply #424 on: December 13, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »
Those are excellent busy, norrina. Congratulations.

Through CraigsList I just got a gorgeous (mostly) teal wool rug in superb condition, sized 8' x 10'. It is now in my den where it has created a very nice visual break . Cost: $115. Score!

bluhairfreak

« Reply #425 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Crafters may be jealous but my LTS had a bunch of dmc floss in sets for 2$ each.  I thought that they were 20 to a set, and I bought all 7 that they had.  When I got home and actually counted, it was 173 skeins that typically cost 40 cents(including tax) for 14$.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #426 on: February 04, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
I bought a new Isaac Mizrahi for Target skirt for $4.50 at my local consignment shop this weekend.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #427 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »
If I can find a good desk chair and multi-function machine on clearance I'll be *really* psyched.

I got a great one from a used office furniture warehouse fpr $40 a few years ago.

MissRose

« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
I was able to find a Kate Spade purse at the Salvation Army store recently, and since it was not tagged, the cashier let me have for $3!

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
If I can find a good desk chair and multi-function machine on clearance I'll be *really* psyched.

I got a great one from a used office furniture warehouse fpr $40 a few years ago.

Check your state's website to see if they ever have surplus sales near you.

KB

« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
I was recently in the UK and visited Hay-on-Wye. In one of the bookshops I was looking at a mint copy, pristine edition of a much sought-after book on my wish-list - for a grand total of 250.

I seriously considered it. I did. I wanted that book so much, but finally decided that it was much better not to throw away that much holiday money in one shot.

I spent the night in nearby Hereford. Out walking the town in the evening, I went into the Oxfam bookshop - only to find the exact same title, in almost as perfect condition, for 45.

Was it wrong to have a bit of a self-righteous glow about it all?!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #431 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
Was it wrong to have a bit of a self-righteous glow about it all?!
Not at all.  Ya dun good! 
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #432 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Not really a score, but good luck. I had decided I wanted a couple more candles from BBW, the big ones, which are $20 each. Lo and behold, I log into my email and what do I find? a coupon for 25% off AND free shipping, today only.  Someone up there must like me, I think

Nox

« Reply #433 on: February 05, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »
Found this rocking octopus http://www.healthchecksystems.com/rockabye_ollie_octopus.htm at the local thrift store for $10. Just in time for my youngest's upcoming 1st birthday. Sweet!

Amara

« Reply #434 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »
This is the kind of story of which every yard sale/thrift store devotee dreams: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rare-1865-baseball-card-be-auctioned-maine